VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

A couple of years ago I bought a LG HR558-D 3D Blu-ray player (For about $700 AUD). For about as long as I've had it I've had problems. I've just gotten to the stage where I am sick to death of this and am considering replacing it. But I thought I'd seek the expert advice of the guru's here before doing so.

The unit will only play Region B ORIGINAL Blu-ray disks. Typically I will rip my disks to hard disk, but after a while I need to back them up as I run out of disk space. I have 8 x 3TB drives, so no more room in box for more drives.

I back up the originals to a same size disk. That is, if it is SL I back up to SL, and if DL I back up to DL.

The unit refuses to play the back up disks, even though they are copies of the original purchased disks. I generally only backup the main movie. But it won't play cloned disks either. The unit also refuses to play region free disks.

I've asked this question before and the answer is always "it's the disks, young lady". Well, I've tried many brands of disks and I burn at 2x. I've even replaced my burners, so I'm really skeptical as to whether this is a media problem.

The interesting thing is there are 3 other Blu-ray players in the house. All cheaper units ($200 - $300), and they have absolutely no problems playing the back up disks. On PCs with TMT I don't have any problems either.

Generally, I use DVD Fab for all of my backups, but I've also used Imgburn.

Might there be something else I can try, or does it sound like it might be a finicky player? Or a dud?

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

I should probably tell you I am in Australia.

thanks
    Tanya
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I love LG stuff but everyone makes a dud or a "problem child" once in a while I guess. The first Sony DVD players would not even play homemade music CDs so hey....
    And as far as discs go.....it's Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim....or nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    ...Verbatim
    Verbatim is great provided you avoid LTH discs.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    From everything you've described, this is just a picky player. There may not be a solution for you with this LG.

For Blu-ray media, I'd use Panasonic, FTI/Falcon or Verbatim (not the LTH variety of Verbatim). Taiyo Yuden only makes LTH Blu-ray media, so I'd avoid them. But media doesn't sound like the issue if the burned discs work everywhere else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    ...Verbatim

I'm talking DVD.....I don't "do" Blu Ray.
    See the OP's first post as to exactly why I have not embraced anything Blu Ray yet....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...Verbatim

Thanks for your replies.

Verbatim don't work on this player either.
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yanta View Post
    ...or does it sound like it might be a finicky player? Or a dud?
    May well be. I used an LG player in the past and it played my BD-R backups, both conventional and LTH (TY) types. I currently have a few BD players old and new and one is a cheap LG, H5100; it plays those same BD-Rs, as well as newer ones I burned, no problem (set to no-region or all-region when authoring). That your other BD players in the house play your backups should have given you a clue. A correctly-authored BD-R video should be played by any working, non-defective, store-bought BD player. Unlike CD and DVD, blu-ray did not play the catch-up game, spec revision, and update shit where recordable media is concerned (except for LTH, maybe). BD-R specs came out at the same starting line as pressed BD, which means that even first-generation BD players should be able to play them. Think of it: if you can truly prove that a newly bought out of the box BD player you have really won't play BD-R, then that player is in contravention of specs and may be an illegal situation lol. Time to trace its origins back to its powers-that-be and give shit
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are your backups in AVCHD format? Some players will not play AVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ...Verbatim

Nothing wrong with verbatim LTH,my 7 year old sony bdp-s350 plays them with no issues,sounds like you try and bash a lot of items.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    ...Verbatim

Nothing wrong with verbatim LTH,my 7 year old sony bdp-s350 plays them with no issues,sounds like you try and bash a lot of items.
    LTH discs have a serious durability concern.

Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Show a reliable link to this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Show a reliable link to this problem.
    "French research: Avoid Blu-ray LTH discs for data archival"
    "In this test they tested LTH Blu-ray discs from Verbatim and JVC and it seems the claims from the manufacturers are not valid. The tests revealed that the overall quality of Blu-ray LTH discs is worse than normal Blu-ray (HTL) discs. It seems that if you want to store your data for a long time, these should be avoided. The researchers recommend to use normal HTL Blu-ray discs and rated those of Sony and Panasonic as most reliable."

http://www.myce.com/news/french-research-avoid-blu-ray-lth-discs-for-data-archival-64265/

Here is the original study (in French):
    http://www.archivesdefrance.culture.gouv.fr/static/6187

Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Very limited tests,the discs use the same type of dye that dvd-/+r used and those discs are still good,by the time better back up media is developed then who cares about dvd and blu-ray backup.
    Quote Quote