VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. MPC-HC has the option to add 'shaders' to a video while it is playing.

Options like sharpening/denoise/color improvement, etc.

And the difference is noticeable:

I know there are many tools for denoise and etc, but i want the specific shadders of MPC-HC to be "pasted" on the video, so i can watch them on other device with the same result of the effects.

I specifically want 1 of MPC-HC shaders to be 'pasted' to the video:

16-235 to 0-255 [SD][HD]

Is there a simple way to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No. You need to use an editor and recompress the video. Pretty much every editor can do a contrast stretch like that. Be warned, you will crush darks and blow our brights if the source has proper levels to start with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No. You need to use an editor and recompress the video. Pretty much every editor can do a contrast stretch like that. Be warned, you will crush darks and blow our brights if the source has proper levels to start with.
    Yes, im aware different video will give very different results.

Any freeware software recommendation?

I want the exact result, but i don't think software come with the same options.
    Quote Quote  
  4. AviDemux can open most video types and has a contrast/brightness filter. VirtualDub has a brightness/contrast filter and a levels filter. AviSynth's ColorYUV(levels="TV-PC") filter should be exactly the same as the MPCHC option you're using -- but it has a steep learning curve.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Technically it's the "wrong" thing to do as jagabo said - even in that screenshot you've crushed shadow detail

That specific manipulation in any prgram is essentially levels(16,1,235,0,255) . It's analogous to photoshop levels, and those numbers in the MPCHC label refer to the input black, gamma, input white, output black, output white

But you should use a dithered conversion (to reduce the banding artifacts you introduce), keep the same colorspace (e.g. if you started in YUV, you should stay in YUV, not use something like photoshop that works in RGB) , and not hard clip the levels (Because some displays actually show above Y=235, or below Y=16)

e.g. one way is in avisynth smoothlevels(16,1,235,0,255) or levels(16,1,235,0,255, coring=false, dither=true)

EDIT: too slow...
    Quote Quote