VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hiya,

Situation: My nice asked me for a new DVD-player (quick, OC ), as the old one gets increasingly picky on self-made DVDs.

Priority is reliable DVD R+ playback on burnt discs and HDMI with upscale function.

This is what I came up with so far in the lower price segment, Sony devices up to 50€ all seem to lack HDMI

Now my actual question is: are there manufacturers well known for being least / most picky handling self-authored burnt Video DVDs?

- LG DP 522H

- Toshiba SD3010KE

- ok. OPD420 (didn't even heard of this brand yet)

Thanks in advance for any input on this
    Last edited by tuco76; 1st Jun 2015 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Why even opt for a DVD player, get a Blu-ray player which plays DVDs as well, you should be able to get one for about $40 at Walmart.

Quote Quote  
  3. Go with the Toshiba. On the basis of reputation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Why even opt for a DVD player, get a Blu-ray player which plays DVDs as well, you should be able to get one for about $40 at Walmart.

Yeah well, first thing to come to mind, but my niece is not going to switch to blu in the next years (if ever), she is perfectly alright with DVD-PQ. Also my divorced 40year old sister (her mother) won't switch to blu.
    Don't ask why, no offence but must be a women-thing I guess

I figure a "specialized" device will deliver better quality for the money, concerning upscale and overall.

(I'm located in Europe btw )
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Go with the Toshiba. On the basis of reputation.
    Thanks for the input, yeah concerning TVs and other devices I made good experiences with Toshiba.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tuco76 View Post
    I figure a "specialized" device will deliver better quality for the money, concerning upscale and overall.
    Nope, DVD only players are starting to become niche, Blu-ray is mainstream now.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Yeah well, first thing to come to mind, but my niece is not going to switch to blu in the next years (if ever), she is perfectly alright with DVD-PQ. Also my divorced 40year old sister (her mother) won't switch to blu.
    Don't ask why, no offence but must be a women-thing I guess

(I'm located in Europe btw )
    It is probably more of a money thing. DVDs, DVD burners and DVD players are always less expensive than Blu-Ray discs, BD burners and Blu-Ray players. The extra resolution is frequently not perceived as being worth more by people of both genders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Nope, DVD only players are starting to become niche, Blu-ray is mainstream now.

You're not saying. "better quality" referred to what my buying situation is, of course: *exclusively* DVD-playback and upscaling. And on that, the Toshiba SD3020KE (which I just bought for 35€) does no worse job than the cheapest Blu-ray player they had in the shop (LG BP250 , 60€. )

@smrpix Thanks again, I'm pretty sure the Toshiba was the best choice.

@Mod: This might be closed
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by tuco76 View Post

@smrpix Thanks again, I'm pretty sure the Toshiba was the best choice.
    I've had good luck with their products. My c. 2002 laptop still boots up (but is otherwise way outdated.) Hope it goes well for you.
    Quote Quote