VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Samsung HT-E330 home theatre and the region code hack found on this site worked great.

My question is will the firmware update (HTD-E330MWWB-1002.0.ROM) undo the region code hack and prevent it from being hacked permanently? We have many dvds from 2 different regions and need a region free player.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it ain't broke then why try to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your reply.

There is something "broke". When we watch video on a usb stick, we cannot fast forward or rewind. I would hope that gets fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. The firmware could undo the region code.

Have you seen any changelog/release notes that mentions fast forward?

Fast forward /rewind from media files is usually crappy on many DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Baldrick,

No, there aren't any change logs/release notes at all. The Upgrade Guide doesn't mention anything about what is included. It is listed at Version 1.0 on the Samsung website and was posted recently, April 13, 2015.

Is there a way that I can make a backup of the current firmware in case the update kills the region hack?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never heard of a way for consumers to create a back-up from installed firmware. Also, even if you obtained a copy of your existing firmware, there is a good chance that the player would not allow a firmware downgrade if the the region code hack for your player fails to work after updating to newer firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At the very least, I would contact the manuf. to see if this, to me rather unneccesary, function is available in the upgrade.

Chances are it is not and the manuf has chosen not to implement it given what Baldrick had to say - the usb bus has only a certain amount of bandwidth.

So it seems you are on a hiding to nothing to upgrade the firmware just for this reason. But its your call. Just that you can read on here of people 'bricking' their players when such things have gone wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by keepingup6 View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

There is something "broke". When we watch video on a usb stick, we cannot fast forward or rewind. I would hope that gets fixed.
    Don't count on it.

Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't rw/ff then it could the way the video files was muxed/created,if it's a mkv then it might an issue with mkvmerge if it was used to mux it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the input guys.

I think my next step will be to contact Samsung locally. I was told they could help with the region code hack when I was shopping.

I'm going in for surgery just now, so it will be a couple of days before I'll be back.
    Quote Quote