VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there I am new to this whole video editing thing and I have no Idea where to even start looking for help for this. I tried a few forums and decided It would be easier just to ask for help here.

So here is whats happening, I have been filming videos with my Samsung Note 4 the files are MP4. When I load them into Adobe Premier elements for editing some of the longer clips audio slowly starts to get out of sync and I have no clue why. I tried installing Quicktime and I haven't had time to check it. this is my last stop before crashing for the night as I am just frustrated about the whole thing. I would truly appreciate some help as I am just lost.

Cheers
    Anthony
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably Variable Frame Rate (VFR)

Download mediainfo XP and open one of the videos with it (view=>text) copy & paste the results back here
    Quote Quote  
  3. I downloaded a random clip from a review of the Galaxy Note 4 , and it looks like it shoots VFR

Bit rate : 48.0 Mbps
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 26.300 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 31.568 fps

The other common scenario is a "slow" computer / hardware . But if it was just a CPU "speed" issue, you'd expect that the shorter clips would experience the problem as well

Basically, VFR from common portable devices means you're missing frames. During times of little or no activity, the frame rate lowers. It's supposed to be a bandwith saving technqiue. Timecodes in the video tell a media player to speed up or slow down in sections, thus everything is in sync in a media player. However, editing applications are CFR only (constant frame rate) . So the video length will be shorter than the audio length, leading to progressive desync. The more variable or more scenes with low activity - the more desync. So it will be more noticable on longer clips on otherwise similar content because by the end you will have more frames dropped

The solution is to convert it to CFR before importing. Basically this means inserting duplicate frames in roughly the correct positions according to the timecodes, where they were originally dropped, so audio and video are now the same length in CFR.

The method most people use to "treat" VFR (for many years, even before portable devices became common) is avisynth using directshowsource() with convertfps=true . Unfortunately there is a bit of learning curve to get started, because it's all code and script based
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both very much for the suggestions I am trying to get both installed but media info it just redirects me to find a file to open it. avisynth looks like it installs but doesnt show up any where. I am running windows 8 64B.

I dont think my PC hardware is an issue I am running a AMD FX 6300, 8GB ddr3 ram. And a XFX R9 290 GPU
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's not really a program like you're used to . It's more of a "framework". It doesn't encode anything, it only frameserves audio & video data. You can use something like virtualdub to do the encoding.

Use the x86 (32bit) version of avisynth and virtualdub. The reason is the x64 version of avisynth is less stable

A good intermediate editing codec is cineform. But you need lots of extra HDD space, as the filesize will balloon up a few times since it's a "visually lossless" codec. The free version is "go pro cineform studio" and will install the codec on your system . Alternatively you can use ut video codec, which is a mathematically lossless codec (even larger filesize)

Create a script in notepad, changing the filename and path to match, save it, rename the extension from .txt to .avs.

e.g it might look like
    DirectShowSource("C:\folder\file.mp4", fps=30, convertfps=true)

You would have to change C:\folder\file.mp4 to match yours . I'm assuming the base frame rate was 30.0 , like the other sample video

Open that .avs in vdub . video=>fast recompress , video => compression => select cineform , file=> save as avi

If it doesn't open in vdub, you might have to use preferred codec tweaker and configure it to use lav filter as the decoder. (Microsoft's default decoder won't work properly)

Do one as a test first, then import the AVI into premiere. No use doing a batch if it doesn't work (there might be another reason for your problem)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yikes! 4K vfr is a pretty heavy haul for any system (I also can't find a straight answer as to whether Elements actually supports 4K. ) Unfortunately you've also gone AMD instead of Intel/Nvidia which Adobe more fully leverages.

If this is a quick project, you may want to consider using the trial version of Premiere Pro. (Or pay for it on a monthly basis until you are done.)

Another option to use a proxy workflow -- which as I understand it you have to "fake" in elements by using 3rd party software to create your downrezzed files. You can certainly do this with a slight variation in your AviSynth script, add

PointResize(1280,720)

and output a second file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess another alternative to all of this would be to just get a camera that records in constant video and audio. For different Cameras would it show if they record in VFR or CFR?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    another thing that I thought of is the possibility of tricking the camera by keeping something in constant motion somewhere in the frame that could be easily edited out.

thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Anthonyr8925 View Post
    I guess another alternative to all of this would be to just get a camera that records in constant video and audio. For different Cameras would it show if they record in VFR or CFR?

another thing that I thought of is the possibility of tricking the camera by keeping something in constant motion somewhere in the frame that could be easily edited out.

thoughts?

Yes, CFR is better. All professional cameras record CFR . Even the "VFR" type Pro cameras like varicams record "VFR in CFR" (it's a different kind of VFR, with hard encoded repeats)

Almost all phone - type , or tablet recording devices record VFR , the dropped frame type that causes problems when editing. There is no way to "trick" it. Even if you keep constant motion there it will be minimally variable, and over a long recording, it will still eventually go out sync.
    Quote Quote