VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There is a 3 Gb avi which I would like to make smaller-- small as possible.

The source resolution is 1280x720.

For CRT use that could easily be cut in half if audio and instruction are the primary goal.

Where is best to start: Convert to TS folders and what tool? Convert from AVI to MKV and what tool?

A quick google search shows a free program at Cnet but it appears to have baggage in the
    way it handles the media and I'll not use it. Recommendations from VH freeware preferred.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to mp4/mkv with h264 video. Use Vidcoder. Use the high profile. You can start with default settings and just convert a few minutes(you can set start and stop times at the top).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Where is best to start: Convert to TS folders and what tool?
    You're thinking of making a DVD out of it? If you don't know how to do it yourself, let AvsToDVD do it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello Baldrick and all.

Vidcoder is based on Handbrake so either should work, yes? I had not done such a conversion
    using Handbrake previously and just learning how to use it.

I've had vidcoder on email updates for what seems like years now but rarely communicate with the Sourceforge forum.

I just want to make the content smaller-- no DVD necessary and VH helped me with one of those a short time ago.

What is a reasonable size to reduce to since the Constant Quality scale is logarithmic?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I often do what you're doing, but my motivation may be different. I usually re-encode,
    (so that it plays in a standaone dvd player). Watch the thing once,
    then delete. I can either encode it to DVD or xvid/divx (I use DVD-RW's).

If you plan to keep a copy on the PC indefinitely, why not just keep the original?

Second, you did not mention whether you need an SD copy (as I do in my example above)
    Your intention for the file should guide you to the answer, once you consider the usage.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'll give it a whirl and try the conversion. My HD space is not unlimited. It's a good test even if I do not keep it long.

For Handbrake or Vidcoder, if it involves more than loading the file as the source and giving it a new name and size, I'll be back with additional questions.

As always my thanks to those who answer at VH.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This operation as described was successful. With no alterations of settings in Handbrake, the most significant of which is Constant Quality default 24 the 3.1 GB file of a simple lecture set with
    H265 in Hb and mkv container was processed to 776 megabyte. The job took a little over 10 hours.

Some experts in reducihng file size warn of this time increment to process. If the Constant Quality
    was increased (even smaller size) the logarhythmic nature of the process would likely take a factorial longer.

Have I missed something in Hb or Vidcoder which would predict the size of the output file?
    Please say if there is and what the downward limit would be regardless of the time it took to make it.

I think I tried to really push one of these down even less and got a bad or 'blank' result-- can't remember exactly. In other words I'd like some warning as to whether the process will succeed or not... some calculator tool perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usng CQ or CRF does leave the final size somewhat unpredictable, this is its nature.

If you need a specific size, you'll have to do 2-pass.
    Quote Quote