VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys,

I want to a encode an anime DVD (4:3 NTSC) and get rid of Frame Blending and Ghosting and maybe add a few other tweaks.

Can someone help me with the proper Avisynth script?

This is what I have so far:

loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("N:\example1.d2v", info=3)

LoadPlugin("N:\MeGUI_2507_x86\tools\avisynth_plugi n\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0)

qtgmc(preset="very slow") #deinterlace
    SRestore(Frate=23.976) #restore progr. frames
    crop(4, 0, -8, 0)

dehalo_alpha(rx=2, ry=2, brightstr=1.5) #Dehalo Stronger
    Toon(0.5) #Stronger Black Lines
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="medium") #Denoise
    LSFmod(defaults="slow") #LimitedSharpenMod
    so far the result looks quite ok.

Ive included 3 screenshots, they are upscaled with spline64 just for the sake of easier comparing. My question is- when I use MCTD preset medium (2nd image), the encoding speed is around 0.35 fps, if I skip MCTD the encoding speed is around 3.0 fps and the image looks almost the same. MCTD just adds a little more sharpness to some small objects and some denoising, but again the result is pretty similar.

Do you guys think its worth running MCTD, even though it makes the encoding like 7-8 times slower?

Ive tried higher MCTD presets and didnt like the result because it looked too much like simpsons, it looks too synthetic.

Id appreciate some tipps guys.

1st image= original (upscaled)
    2nd image= with MCTD
    3rd image= without MCTD
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	07-05 orig.png
Views:	1038
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	31936  

Click image for larger version

Name:	07-06 full pr denoise medium.png
Views:	541
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	31937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	07-07 full pr no denoise.png
Views:	479
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	31938  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The toon ruins it if you ask me, Id consider taking that out or weaken it's strength a bit more if you can. It's way overdoing its job on the lines I think, but if you insist go ahead and keep it.

Very Slow in the QTGMC is a waste of time, go ahead and go with Slow, the benefit of very slow is so little when compared to slow and barely noticeable if at all and its not worth all the extra time it takes to encode in my opinion. if you have the patienc to wait for it, go ahead and keep it at very slow then. It will indeed be the better one even if not by much at all.

The original doesnt look like it really has much or needs much denoising. Id try another denoiser like this and see if you like it.
    Deen("c3d",0,3,2)

If you need it a bit stronger then raise the 3 in 0,3,2 up to a max of 0,7,2. Any higher and it will begin to be remove and smear fine details.

I think I see some rainbows, this will remove them well. (Put this before the deinterlacer in your script)
    bifrost()

Try this instead of dehalo alpha and see if you like it. Im betting it will look alot better because it preserves details really well. I have never liked the damage dehalo_alpha does to anime. This one does a great job on anime.
    HQDering(smoother=deen("a3d",1,13,13,2))

You can raise the 2 number 13's to make it stronger if needed, but don't go too high. If you cant get this to work as you want then stick with dehalo_alpha.

Another thing I can suggest is use an antialiaser because theres plenty of aliasing in the lines. (Your sharpener is probly the cause of this, change the parameters of it) These work well for anime antialiasing.
    maa()
    or
    santiag()

You can use the sharpener better than that in my opinion and get better looking results. Try it like this.
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0, ss_y=1.0, strength=15, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

[You will adjust the strength according to your needs, thats just an average base value to go with. If you need to go over sharpness=30 (Anything higher will cause aliasing in the lines) then put the antialiaser after the sharpener and raise the number a little more to make up for the slight blurring the antialiaser does]

So when finished you get something more like this.

Code:
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("N:\example1.d2v", info=3)

LoadPlugin("N:\MeGUI_2507_x86\tools\avisynth_plugi n\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0)

bifrost() #Derainbow
    qtgmc(preset="slow") #deinterlace
    SRestore(Frate=23.976) #restore progr. frames
    crop(4, 0, -8, 0)

HQDering(smoother=deen("a3d",1,13,13,2)) #Dehalo
    maa() #Antialiasing
    Deen("c3d",0,3,2) #Denoise
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0, ss_y=1.0, strength=15, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 29th Jun 2015 at 07:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey killerteengohan,

thanks for your suggestions. Yes Ive noticed same things: Toon is really bad here on this source, Ive completely removed it in my script already Its really way too strong and it turns out that Toon is causing the most part of the Aliasing, which Ive also noticed, thats why Ive removed toon() completely.

From "very slow" to "slow" in qtgmc, doesnt have a big impact on my system. Its not utilizing 100% of cpu anyways, due to scripts not beeing optimized for multicore and I also dont use the MT version of Avisynth due to the issues I had with it previously.

The source indeed doesnt need much denoising, so Ive also let the denoiser out.

I will try HQdering instead of dehalo_alpha, yes the damage is indeed there and the only reason Ive added sharpening is because dehalo_alpha blurs the image noticably.

Thanks for the tip with the antialiaser. It seems like the source has some slight aliasing, some scripts seem to further increase it.

I will revisit the encode with your suggested settings and thanks for taking the time to help. Since the episodes are really short, it doesnt take much time to encode them. 6 episodes of ca. 20 mins. Basically like 1 movie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your welcome!

If you need the plugins for any of those suggested filters to work, let me know and I will share them so they will work.
    Quote Quote