VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I am trying to display a PAL VHS on an American tube TV and all I get are lines. I need to figure out if I need a converter/scanner in between the vcr and the tv? I am guessing on the converter/scanner. If there is another type of machine I need to display this properly I would like to know. Please help. Below are the specs to the VCR. JVC will not answer my emails.

PAL VCR-JVC
    Model HR-J61MS
    S/N 135U265
    Front of the Unit Displays:
    PAL B/G, D/K, I MESCAM B/G, D/K/NTSC 3.58/4.43 .ON SCREEN DISPLAY .SUPER TIMER BACKUP

Many thanks,
    Christian
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll need a scan converter to convert analog PAL to analog NTSC. Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/MX-100-Converter-Composite-Connection-Conversion/dp/B0095FN03U/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Analogue converters are typically crap quality unless you want to pay top dollar (and then they are still borderline crappy - although PAL -> NTSC is miles better than NTSC-> PAL).

A much better option is to capture the PAL recording with a digital capture card and convert the result to NTSC by using appropriate software.

Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the quality of a cheap scan converter won't be great. And, as you can see from the reviews at amazon, you may run into problems. You can also get an old converting VCR like the Samsung SV-5000. The quality won't be great there either.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SV-5000W-Worldwide-VHS-Format/dp/B00004TEUK

And they're much more expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all. This only needs to be viewed by students for classes. Although I would like it to be a nice quality it is not completely necessary. I appreciate your help.

Kind regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another quick question. I work for the state and we can't order from Amazon. I found another converter but it only converts video not audio. Will this be an issue? Does the RCA audio l/r signal need to be converted as well? Below is what I found.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765346-REG/Shinybow_sb_3690_SB_369_Multi_Video_Digital.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by silverlage View Post
    This only needs to be viewed by students for classes.
    Our students deserve nothing but the best!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed. Low quality is better than nothing at this point. Do you happen to know the answer to by last question regarding the need for audio conversion from PAL to NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Agreed. Low quality is better than nothing at this point.
    May I ask what material it is, e.g. there is no NTSC version of it or something online?

Note that in the USA for classroom presentations you can borrow a DVD or play a YouTube clip without rights issues provided the purpose is education.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, the way it works is the professor assigns a student to watch a video from the library that is in PAL format. I am the library technician. I am trying to get the PAL VCR up and running on an incredibly low budget. My understanding is the only option for the students is to do it this way. I don't know why or what the classes are? I don't even have access to this information to my knowledge. There are many middle men/women and I am trying to find a solution as soon as possible. They have to watch it on the PAL format and the tv is no PAL compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    So, the way it works is the professor assigns a student to watch a video from the library that is in PAL format. I am the library technician. I am trying to get the PAL VCR up and running on an incredibly low budget. My understanding is the only option for the students is to do it this way. I don't know why or what the classes are? I don't even have access to this information to my knowledge. There are many middle men/women and I am trying to find a solution as soon as possible. They have to watch it on the PAL format and the tv is no PAL compatible.
    Well you need a working PAL VCR to play PAL videos.

When you say TV is that one of those ancient CRT things or do you actually have HDTVs with PC inputs or large computer monitors at this university?

You can capture a PAL or NTSC video signal with a capture card or USB capture device (the cheapest one starts at about $10) attached to a computer and the computer can play it real time.

My understanding is the only option for the students is to do it this way.
    In my experience those are often not the only options, but examples of "we have done it for decades that way" attitude.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only setup I have is the PAL VCR and yes a CRT TV.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since no one answered your other question, PAL and NTSC are video standards. Audio does not come in to the equation so that should have worked regardless AFAIK.

Which brings me to my question. Have you actually got a NTSC tape to play in that VCR ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by silverlage View Post
    Another quick question. I work for the state and we can't order from Amazon. I found another converter but it only converts video not audio. Will this be an issue? Does the RCA audio l/r signal need to be converted as well? Below is what I found.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765346-REG/Shinybow_sb_3690_SB_369_Multi_Video_Digital.html
    That should work. You can run audio straight from the VHS deck to the TV (or whatever audio device you're using, receiver, computer speakers, etc.).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. DB83 and jagabo. DB83 I have a PAL tape that I am trying to use. I did also try an NTSC tape. Neither worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you need to get the VCR working before worrying about playing a PAL tape.

Is the VCR US sourced or Europe ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My understanding is that it is a PAL VCR. Specs below

PAL VCR-JVC
    Model HR-J61MS
    S/N 135U265
    Front of the Unit Displays:
    PAL B/G, D/K, I MESCAM B/G, D/K/NTSC 3.58/4.43 .ON SCREEN DISPLAY .SUPER TIMER BACKUP
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understand that from your initial posts.

I am having difficulty tracing that model. 'MS' could mean 'Multi-System' which ties in to the front that shows world-wide tv standards.

That VCR could well be requiring a 220/240 volt power source rather than your standard. But you need to out-source a manual to be certain.

There may be a power switch on the back ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, didn't mean to be redundant. Ok. I will check. I did notice that there was a power adapter attached. I have looked all over for the manual online but no luck there. I will double check on this tomorrow and take a few pictures.
    Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That could be the first problem solved - a broken/faulty power adapter/converter 220 > 110 volt
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    The only setup I have is the PAL VCR and yes a CRT TV.

Thanks for any help.
    Poor students,,,,,

Sigh....

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I see two types of plug in the pics - a standard European 220/240 volt and a US 110/120 volt.

I do not see any adapter as such and the pics do not indicate any power switch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the picture below is the plug that is attached to the VCR
    http://files.videohelp.com/u/164019/PAL%20VCRPLUG.JPG

and it is plugged in to this adapter below
    http://files.videohelp.com/u/164019/PAL%20VCRPLUG1.JPG

Then they were plugged into an outlet. This powers the VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Not at all clear from the photos. Is this 'adapter' a simple cable or does it have some indication that it is up-converting the power from 110/120 to 220/240

Someone with more knowledge about these things could assist if a VCR designed for 220/240(that I must assume given the type of direct plug on it) will run directly on 110/120 - certainly my VCR combi requires 220/240. I would have expected some sort of external switch on the VCR itself.

But there must be something basic here if even that NTSC tape will not play in it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. DB83 and jagabo. DB83 I have a PAL tape that I am trying to use. I did also try an NTSC tape. Neither worked.
    What do you mean by "neither worked"? The tape deck didn't do anything when a tape was inserted? The NTSC tape played but there was no picture?

BTW, the model number in your initial post for this thread was incorrect. The correct number, from a sticker shown in a photograph of the back plate is HR-J461MS. With that I was able to find the owner's manual online here http://www.manualslib.com/products/Jvc-Hr-J461ms-256015.html You might want to check the manual to see if the VCR is set up correctly for a PAL TV. If the VCR has been in storage for a while this may not be the case. If it has a battery installed to power the memory that retains its settings, that may be dead or missing.

This VCR must have a universal power supply, since the manual says "This set operates on voltage of AC110 – 240 V` (Rating),AC90 – 260 V` (Operating), 50/60 Hz with automatic switching", so it should run on US mains power. Plus one of the photos shows the front display is lit, indicating the VCR is receiving power.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought.

Where is that composite video cable going to ? I thought that older TV's did not have such connections.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just a thought.

Where is that composite video cable going to ? I thought that older TV's did not have such connections.
    US CRT TVs from the better consumer electronics brands usually had composite connections by the time DVD players started to become popular, although some small/cheap/off-brand CRT TVs didn't

The OP posted a picture of the TV showing it had RCA composite and stereo audio jacks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh dammit. I saw that pic.

Which brings me to another point. Since the video input is marked 'video2', there has to be some internal control of the tv to select that input. While such things may be simple for us I guess there are many who think that a tv displays whatever is plugged in to at the time.

Right now I am simply meandering as to why no tapes are working. Simply discounting significant malfunction of the VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I need the PAL tape to play. That's all. And no there is no upconverter for the power adapter. You just slide the sucker on.
    Quote Quote