VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I have an AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod.
    I used it on Sony HDR CX-440, it works great when it is steady and not rotate or move around.

    Any recommendation video tripod with smooth direction of rotation left/right? My current one it give a shake or I have to force it to rotate but it is not smooth. I like with easy snap on & off.

    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    You need to look at "fluid head", professional tripods. Minimum cost I've seen for decent ones is ~$270USD (goes up to >$4000 for best ones. Yes, that much). Manfrotto, Vinten, Sachtler, O'Connor, Miller...

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kj1983 View Post

    Any recommendation video tripod with smooth direction of rotation left/right...
    I can recommend this one for smooth pans: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150608-REG/Slik_615_504_504QF_II_Tripod_System.html

    Good quality construction, and at a more reasonable price than some of the more 'famous' names....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Hahaha!

    Quote Quote  
  6. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Hahaha!

    If you don't do it for a living(like 99% of people)....don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Worked like a charm for me the 2 times I wanted to do a pan shot.
    My tripod is really hard to .......dust.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Hahaha!

    If you don't do it for a living(like 99% of people)....don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Worked like a charm for me the 2 times I wanted to do a pan shot.
    My tripod is really hard to .......dust.
    I am not knocking anything, I am merely delighted at the creativity!

    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by kj1983 View Post

    Any recommendation video tripod with smooth direction of rotation left/right...
    I can recommend this one for smooth pans: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150608-REG/Slik_615_504_504QF_II_Tripod_System.html

    Good quality construction, and at a more reasonable price than some of the more 'famous' names....
    I like Slik and all (have a great monopod of theirs), but one word of warning: It has been my experience that if you want to have consistently "still", stable shots (aka lacking in tripod motion blur), you should always use a tripod that is rated for at least TWICE the maximum weight that is actually to be used on it.

    So, that suggested tripod would then really only be rock-solid for <~5 Lbs. This amounts to: light DSLRs (with few, if any, attachments) and point & shoot consumer camcorders and GoPro/sportcams and smartphone cams.

    Your Sony HDR CX-440 should work as long as you don't have much accessories on it (smaller battery OK, but not the larger aftermarket ones, no separate audio or even boom mike, no recorder/monitor...). And watch the cabling if you are plugged into AC/mains power.

    Still cannot vouch for the "fluidity" of that model, though.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Another advantage to getting a good fluid head, even for a light camera, is that it adds a perception of "stately weight" to the movement and comes across as a more polished, professional production.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    With respect to camera movement on a tripod, some advice:

    1. Don't do it, unless,
    2. you have to move it to prepare for a new shot, or,
    3. you want to do the once in awhile panning shot.

    ~ and no, once in awhile does not mean once every half minute! ~


    More importantly, never, ever use one single camera unless you are documenting the walks of a single snail.

    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Most people will disagree with you,one camera is good enough unless you are shooting movies or tv series.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    With respect to camera movement on a tripod, some advice:

    1. Don't do it, unless,
    2. you have to move it to prepare for a new shot, or,
    3. you want to do the once in awhile panning shot.
    This is insane advice and I can only imagine it comes from never having used a good tripod.

    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    More importantly, never, ever use one single camera unless you are documenting the walks of a single snail.
    Thus negating most of the history of photography and film making. Dumb.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    This is insane advice and I can only imagine it comes from never having used a good tripod.
    A good tripod is there to get a stable shot, it is not there to create 'dizzyfying' psychedelic pans every three seconds.

    Remember the action should be in the scene or in the cuts definitely not in the camera movement.

    There are obviously exceptions, a handheld closing up on a face can cause a great dramatic effect, pans can be used to to reveal something surprising or create an introducing or overview giving effect to a new setting.

    But again those things only apply once in awhile.

    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    More importantly, never, ever use one single camera unless you are documenting the walks of a single snail.
    Unless it is a very short clip a single shot recording pretty much guarantees your viewer zones out after 10 minutes, it's unpalatable.

    This is all common sense, filming 101.

    Last edited by newpball; 28th May 2015 at 09:45.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    A good tripod is there to get a stable shot, it is not there to create 'dizzyfying' psychedelic pans every three seconds.
    Like any other tool, a tripod is used to further the intent of the filmmaker in whatever traditional or inventive way he or she sees fit.

    You're inexperienced and trying to be unproductively provocative. You've succeeded. It's annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    This is insane advice and I can only imagine it comes from never having used a good tripod.
    A good tripod is there to get a stable shot, it is not there to create 'dizzyfying' psychedelic pans every three seconds.

    Remember the action should be in the scene or in the cuts definitely not in the camera movement.

    There are obviously exceptions, a handheld closing up on a face can cause a great dramatic effect, pans can be used to to reveal something surprising or create an introducing or overview giving effect to a new setting.

    But again those things only apply once in awhile.

    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    More importantly, never, ever use one single camera unless you are documenting the walks of a single snail.
    Unless it is a very short clip a single shot recording pretty much guarantees your viewer zones out after 10 minutes, it's unpalatable.

    This is all common sense, filming 101.

    Tell that to Orson Wells (Touch of Evil opening) or Alfred Hitchc*o*c*k (Rope) (stupid autocorrect!) or the thousands of followers who have used single-shot & single-shot-like tripod & crane moves to wonderful effect!

    You're just digging your own hole deeper, especially when you are clearly out of your element...

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Tell that to Orson Wells (Touch of Evil opening) ....
    That shot is about three and a half minutes, that is not even close to 10 minutes.

    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ...or Alfred Hitchc*o*c*k (Rope) (stupid autocorrect!) or the thousands of followers who have used single-shot & single-shot-like tripod & crane moves to wonderful effect!
    Indeed for effect it is great.

    But more than 10 minutes?

    Quote Quote  
  17. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Spoken like a true curmudgeon.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Tell that to Orson Wells (Touch of Evil opening) ....
    That shot is about three and a half minutes, that is not even close to 10 minutes.

    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ...or Alfred Hitchc*o*c*k (Rope) (stupid autocorrect!) or the thousands of followers who have used single-shot & single-shot-like tripod & crane moves to wonderful effect!
    Indeed for effect it is great.

    But more than 10 minutes?

    Gee newpball!, why didnīt you think of this before? You couldīve told the The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences so they wouldnīt give "Birdman" awards for Best Cinematography and Best Picture!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by julitomg View Post
    Gee newpball!, why didnīt you think of this before? You couldīve told the The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences so they wouldnīt give "Birdman" awards for Best Cinematography and Best Picture!
    Academy award level filmography....

    Perspective folks!

    We are trying to help people who use Sony HDR CX-440 and AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod like equipment.

    Have it anyway you like criticizing me but I see far too many examples of amateurs making the same mistakes all the time:

    - not using a tripod
    - constantly moving the camera on the tripod in an almost 'psychedelic' fashion
    - zooming in and out just for the sake of it
    - bad sound
    - bad camera position
    - endless single shot recordings

    I am just trying to help here!

    Last edited by newpball; 28th May 2015 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

    I am just trying to help here!
    Clearly, even you have stopped reading your posts.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I really like my Davis & Sanford MAGNUMXG13 Magnum Grounder tripod. It's very smooth, quiet, extends to 6' and has a 10 year warranty.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads