VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I recently upgraded to the newest version of KCP which includes MPC-HC 1.7.8, madVR v0.87.21, LAVFilters-0.65 x86, and xy-VSFilter 3.0.0.306. I was previously running a version from about a year ago. Ever since I've updated I've had this odd issue where both video and sound freeze up, but playback continues (the time on the playback bar continues on). After a minute or two both the video and sound will jump back to match the time (frames will fly past really quickly as it's jumping forward and sound will speed up until it hits the new time). The only 'workaround' I've found so far is pausing the video, going back about 5-10 seconds and waiting for a few minutes. After that the video will continue playing for a while.

My initial thoughts were that the videos I was watching were corrupted or something, so I watched some stuff from before the issue began and ran into the same problem. After that I figured it might be a memory leak or something similar, so I kept a close eye on my processes while the video ran. Nothing of the sort. From there I figured that I might have had the settings in KCP too high. I had them on the highest setting which included Jinc, 3 taps (AR) for chroma upscaling and image upscaling and Catmull-ROM (AR, LL) for image downscaling. Switched to the low settings which included Bicubic, 75 for chroma upscaling, Lanczos, 3 taps for image upscaling, and Catmull-Rom for image downscaling. This changed nothing. I was also using ReClock, which I figured might be an issue, so I disabled that as well. Still occurred. I realized soon after that I had changed the video color settings in the Nvidia control panel to a full dynamic range, thought that might be the cause and restored the default settings. Still ran into the same issue. Eventually I thought it might just be an issue with KCP so I installed CCCP and MPC-HC and ran into the same problems. I highly doubt the issue is on slow hardware, my PCs specs are relatively high end. I'm currently running an i7 4770k, a GTX 770, 16 GB DDR3 1600, and an SSD. Oh, and just to clarify I was diligent in uninstalling things fully before installing new stuff and restarting my machine in between things.

Any help on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried any other player? Like VLC and see if you get similar problems. It could be a graphic card/video overlay problem.

And please be careful with codec packs. Installing another might cause even more problems...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Haven't tried VLC. That's the next thing I was going to do. And I'm not installing them simultaneously. I do full uninstalls, restart, then fresh installs.

Edit: I just tried out VLC. I run into the same exact issue. And VLC took it to a whole new level. Once I exited the program bits of the soundtrack would play after a minute or two and then stop. Figured I might mention it, but this does not occur with anything streaming online. YouTube and Twitch run perfectly fine.

Any troubleshooting I can do to narrow down the problem?
    Last edited by Xandal; 26th May 2015 at 02:35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe some hdd problem then. Do you store all videos on same ssd ?

Is it just video that causes problem? Not games or software?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Games run 100% smooth, software is running fine. I've tried running the videos on three different hard drives. I've also ran the videos on another PC from one of the hard drives and they worked perfectly fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try turn off overlay/graphic card hardware in VLC media player under Tools, Preferences, Video and deselect Accelerated video output(overlay) and see if it makes any difference. It if it work is something probably wrong with the graphic card or graphic drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Turned that off and still ran into the same exact issue. :/
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Give up. Reinstall windows. :P

But before that try just one more player. SMPlayer (use the portable version and you don't have to install anything). Both vlc media player and smplayer uses built-in decoders so they shouldn't be affected by codec packs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. LOL... I honestly was considering re-installing at this point. Would re-installing my video drivers be a more reasonable alternative?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's any video driver issue....but you could always try that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Alright, well I did a fresh install. Everything was running fine for a while and then eventually the problem started up again. It's less frequent, but it's still there. I'm seriously confused. Is there an issue with my hardware possibly?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Any suggestions? This is beyond obnoxious. Games play fine, streams play fine, it's just videos on my PC itself that struggle.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Does anyone have any ideas? I sincerely can't determine what the issue is. I did a fresh install, updated all of my drivers, my BIOS, checked my hardware, and nothing is yielding results.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm out of ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Testing in issues like this is often frustrated by the fact a codec pack was used. If you do another fresh install, try using the standalone MPC-HC install and not the version bundled in the KCP codec pack. If you want/need to use KCP, try going back to the older version.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote