VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I do not speak French but FILM9 is a French software for restoring and enhancing videos to look great. After much effort I managed to download it, but so far I have not downloaded K-Lite Codec Pack. I am hoping someone with experience of the FILM9 software will read this and come to my aid please, because not being pc savy, I am having difficulties.
    When I load a video, (mine are movie clips downloaded from Youtube using the Freemake Video Downloader amd the Applian Replay Media Catcher 5 video downloaders), and click the button called "Launch pre-selected clips" a message opens saying "System cannot find the file specified". Can somebody please tell me, am I getting this message simply because I do not have K-Lite Codec Pack installed? Are all of the K-Lite Codec Pack the same the world over or is there a special one I should go for? I understand there are two varieties: Standard Pack and Full Pack. Which would you recommend? If the message has nothing to do with the Codecs, can you say what the cause and remedy should be?
    Another point about FILM9 that has me perplexed: At the start you are supposed to choose either a Cine Film Spool logo or a Video Cassette logo, presumably to specify the kind of video content in the file. My files are MP4; AvI and MPEG2, (FLV is not accepted unfortunatly); sometimes the content was originaly made on film and others were television video tape. The question is, which catogory would todays tv shows fall into? I gather cine film and video tape is no longer used today. It is all digital drives now, is it not?
    The Vimeo tutorials look very impressive for FILM9 software, but they are ALL in French and there are, alas, no Enlish instructions how to work it, yet an English version of the software, like I have, can be downloaded. Might anyone out there with full experience of FILM9 care to write a step by step explanation how to use it, in English?! Perhaps such a much needed guide could be posted online!
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip - V.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi vinckles,
    Sorry, I discover your thread only this day.

For documentation of FILM9, the tutorials are only in French, but with a sufficiently explicit graphic demonstration.
    The interface of FILM9 has, however, an English version.

Indeed, the FLV files are unsupported because it is not a common Codec for capture files of films.
    But you can convert these FLV files to AVI (for example) with an encoding software and then use FILM9 in Tape-Film option.

FILM9 is essentially developped for the restoration of old Films (Super8, 8mm, etc...) or Tape-films.
    For Films, two options are offered:
    - WITH SYNCHRO (Capture frame by frame with an electronic system)
    - NO SYNCHRO (Capture movies with a projector speed at 16.6 i/s)

For Tape-Films option, it is, normally, for analog recordings on VHS, Hi8, etc ...

This is the reason that this choice "Film" or "Tape" is available in home page of FILM9.
    Regards
    GillesH
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for writing.
    Still not clear what to set the files to, once downloaded from say youtube: Film or Tape??

I still need to know why I get the message "System cannot find the file specified" ? Is it due to not having yet installed K-Lite Codec Pack Standard ?
    Is there any special K-Lite pack needed or are they ALL exactly the same?
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If you want to use FILM9 to restore downloads-video of YouTube, it is necessary that the Codec must be compatible with FILM9.
    I confirm that FILM9 supports AVI, MPG, MTS, WMV, MP4.
    FILM9 does not supports Codecs FLV, 3GPP, WebM (even if K-Lite is installed)

Yes, install K-Lite Codec Pack. You can take the version K-Lite Codec Pack Full. But the Standard version is perhaps sufficient.
    K-Lite Codec Pack will read the Codecs listed as only compatible with FILM9 (AVI, MPG, MTS, WMV, MP4).

And so, to the type of YouTube videos, you can try with "Tape" option of FILM9.
    This is not the main objective, but why not !!!!
    Tell us your impressions after this treatment.

Sorry for my Google English.......
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for writing. The VideoHelp link you sent me for K-Lite Codeck Pack Full, has me very worried. The article says: Tere is a risk to other video software loaded on your computer if you use all the codecs as installed in the K-Lite Codec Pack.
    This worries me greatly: I have:
    1 Xmedia Recode video converter
    2 Applian Replay Media Catcher 5 video downloader
    3 Applian Replay Video Capture
    4 Freemake Video Converter
    5 Freemake Video Downloader
    6 Any Video Converter
    I sincerely hope K-Lite Codec Pack full is not going to disturb any of these softwares should I download it for use with FILM9 software.
    Please confirm that my fears are unfounded? Also please confirm that K-Lite Codec Pack Full WILL ACTUALLY put an end to the popup message I get everytime I try to use FILM9. It says: "System cannot find the file specified". Is this simply happening because I do not have K-Lite Codec Pack Full?
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The installation of a pack of codecs can sometimes cause problems. But this is not specific to K-Lite.
    The principle of the pack is installing new codecs or replacing old codecs .
    And some software do not like that we replace them Codec.
    It is, therefore, indeed take precautions and watch what software may conflict.
    But this is very rare. Personally, I never had any problems with K-Lite and yet I use more video software.

For FILM9 and Codecs:
    The installation of K- Lite or another pack does not change the situation in regard to the FLV codec type.
    You will always have the message : "System cannot find the file specified".
    So use imperatively a compatible Codec with FILM9 (AVI, MPG, MTS , WMV, MP4).
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please understand. I get the message "System cannot find the file specified", even though I am using MP4 video files, downloaded from Youtube. Will this problem stop once I put in K-Lite codec pack full?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I confirm , with MP4 files, it is necessary to install compatible codecs .
    And installation of K-Lite allows to decode and read this type of files.
    Then, FILM9 can read these files. No problem.

Note that there is also a K-Lite Mega Codec version even more possibilities.
    The installation of K-Lite is your responsibility, even if the package has a very good reputation.
    There are not a lot of risk. I use this pack without any problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. if you are concerned about damaging your windows installation with K-lite codec pack then why not do a system backup image before installing k-lite?
    I use Macruim Reflect and the free version works really quick and well,You can make a image of your whole system, store it on another internal hard drive and if anything goes wrong with your current system you can simply boot form the macuim boot disc and be back up and running in minutes (depending on size of back up image)

I think your fears are largely unfounded though and i use the excellent Film9 with K-lite with no problems, I did have problems on my XP SP2 system with newer k-Lite packs that caused playback issues with FLV files,the videos had a weird green line and tinge so i reverted to my trusty K-lite version 7.

Please remember if you are trying to enhance You-tube downloaded files then you have to remember you wont be able to work miracles as the resolution is generally too low and the uploaded vidoes have been mangled by the uploaders by doing bad de-interlacing methods and resizing. Its a can of worms with the general public Lol

At best you can try some deblocking and denoising and subtle sharpening , And export losslessly between treatments.

Can you show me some you-tube links of the videos you are are trying to enhance? We can then see if its worth your time and effort etc.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Restore-Chappie,
    Thank you for writing. Here is a youtube lnk for the b&w movie RAmsbottom Rides Again. The quality is terribly washed out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFpBd4Pc2c Do you think FILM9 restoration could make the picture look pleasing again? It lacks detail. Does FILM9 have any "magic" buttons to help it?

Also this youtube of THe Lady Vanishes trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5j9DdFzJ54 Colour hues are very pink. Can detail and colour be made to look healthy and natural again?
    Thank you again for your offer to look into this for me.
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi vinckles,
    I`ve had a look at those videos and i wouldn`t hold out much hope as the quality and resolution are quite low
    Its possible to fix the frame judder and dirt and spots but it ends up looking like a charcoal painting, I will post a sample when i get some time as i`m quite busy at present.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I`ve found a better quality version here

https://archive.org/details/RamsbottomRidesAgain

Its available in 2 formats, Cinepack or H264,The Cinepack version seems slighty sharper,
    so I will have go with Film9 and get back to you soon.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Restore-chappy,
    Thank you so much for your offer to test Ramsbottom on FILM9. I thought it would be a real challenge and good test for FILM9's potential. If you can make it look decent with all your expertese I would be very gratefull to you. I can't wait to see the outcome. Meanwhile, I am still debating to go for Full K-Lite codec pack . 11.1.0 has been recomended to me. Maybe when I go for it ,hopefully all will start to work for me. Thank you again.
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi Vinckes,
    I ran your You-tube link version through Film9 and uploaded it to You-tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgp3blwzqHw

I would have attached the video here, but with your codec isssues you might not of been able to view it.

The original video quality wasn`t great so please dont expect too much, It just gives you an idea of Film9 in action with dirt/spot and deshaking capabilites.

I used the free XviD4PSP5 to convert to the lossless HuffYUV codec for input to Film9 etc.

What operating system are you using? I`m using Windows xp sp2 and use a older K-lite version 7 pack with no issues.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Restore-Chappy for the split screen Ramsbottom Rides Again. The deshake etc is most impressive. Did you use Sharpness and adjust contrast; brightness etc? FILM9 does not seem to be a "detail enhancer", I take it(?)
    I use Windows 7
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  17. Removing artifacts like spots and grain and film damage destroys detail to some degree, You can try and add sharpness to compensate but i didn`t add much in this case due to the real grottyness of the source, A 360p youtube mangled clip.
    There`s no magic for cases like these.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The improvements that restore-chappy are quite good and are about as much as you could possibly expect. However, most of the real problems with that video is the horrible encoding and the low resolution capture, probably via some sort of VHS videotape at some point. If you could get closer to the original 16mm print, even if it has the same gate weave, dirt, and contrast issues, those could all be corrected, and the result could look quite stunning.
    Quote Quote