VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded some subtitles in SRT format on the net. I merged it with my video and it's off a bit. I have no idea what's the FPS for the source used.

I know my video's FPS is 23.xxx. So is it possible to sync the SRT with the video that I have? If yes, can you please suggest what app to use?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. well can you specify which feature will do this for me automatically? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Subtitle Edit is nice for a lot of things but I like using SubtitleWorkshop for syncing/changing FPS for subtitles.

File > Load subtitle...
    Movie > Open...

The FPS of your loaded subtitle will by default be whatever the video FPS is.
    On the left hand side of the application is Input FPS:. If you're out of sync change this to another value. The Input FPS is what the subtitle was created at and the FPS: below is what you want it to be (same as your video).

Yes sometimes it's a hit and miss. Problems can occur when changing the subtitle FPS. Sometimes they start to early and sometimes they start to late. The subtitle will be out of sync evenly throughout it's duration.

To adjust all or part of the timing;
    Edit > Timings > Set delay...

This was meant to be a quickie tutorial. If you like SubtitleEdit use it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. SRT subitles are time based so you don't need to know anything about frame rates of the movie. Locate a subtitle near the start of the movie and another near the end. Note the time the subs start, and the corresponding time when those subs should be displayed in the movie. Then it's just simple math to make the sub timing match the movie in a program like Subtitle Workshop.

Beware that releases of movies in different countries/languages are often different cuts. That will require you go through the movie, locate where shots were inserted and deleted, then adjust the sub timing from there.
    Quote Quote