VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I'm looking for a compact video recorder, with a swivel lens (or even fixed lens mounted on the side and not on the back of the device)
    Like the Canon Legria Mini, for example:

The reason is to take candid photos / videos and not ruin the moment by being noticed.
    So I'm not looking for a spying small camera. I want something with an lcd for composition.
    The reason I don't like a phone or a regular camera with a flipping screen, is what I already said.
    The moment you prepare to take a picture/video with a regular camera or phone, people start to act and smile (or kick you in the nuts if they're angry).. and I don't want that

I found a smartphone that looked perfect for what I wanted (the Oppo N3):

But, as I suspected, if you use it holding it in vetical, you get the black bands on the side of the video.
    The only way is to hold it in horizontal, but you get kinda noticed if you do that.

Another good option (if it wasn't that old) could have been the Sony Webbie:

But from what I saw, the video quality isn't great.

So from what I've found, the only option is the the Canon Legria Mini (which has a different name in US, I guess)
    And the only thing that is holding me, is that wide (too wide) angle lens. And also (I know I'm asking too much) the lack of a zoom.

They launched a new model lately. The Legria Mini X:

...which has better stuff, I guess. But I don't like the new (horn-like) mics at the front. So the old model, for the moment is winning.
    But I wanted to be sure I looked at all the options.. So, If you guys know of an alternative I might have missed while googling, please let me know.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks, newpball

Composition it's important for me. I'm after an artistic result because I want to use it for street photography and short movies.
    So an lcd to watch how am I framing, would be nice.
    All shots will be taken in pubblic spaces (where it's legal to take pictures). So nothing creepy, I'm not looking for spying devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Strap a GoPro to your hat (you could cover up all but the lens, and it'll capture wherever you're looking. Strap 4 GoPros on a Hat (Front, Left, Right, Back), and it'll capture ~360degrees (with at least some overlap in Medium & Wide FOV).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. The GoPro has good quality, but again, no way to frame (no lcd) and you get a distorted image (too wide lens).

I was thinking that a good option could also be a portable gaming device. Something like a Nintendo or a PSP.
    But I have no idea if those devices have a camera on the back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    GoPros can send wirelessly to your phone (your phone, in effect becoming the viewer), and the distorted image can be un-distorted & re-framed in most NLEs and processors (I know because I have 2 of them and have done that in Premiere and AE, and in AVISynth).

The cams on those games are CRAP, even compared to smartphones.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    GoPros can send wirelessly to your phone (your phone, in effect becoming the viewer), and the distorted image can be un-distorted & re-framed in most NLEs and processors (I know because I have 2 of them and have done that in Premiere and AE, and in AVISynth).

The cams on those games are CRAP, even compared to smartphones.

Scott
    Not bad this option. I could see using this technique for some shots (when I use it for fixed shots with a tripod)
    But for handheld shots, I don't know.. going around with a GoPro attached on me.. mmh I don't think I'll do that.
    Good to know about the wifi connection and the processing of distorted images. Didn't know that. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    GoPro on your hat?

Since you want to avoid people to act and smile...... perhaps not such a good idea?

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, not with THAT contraption, Mr. Obvious. For someone who dislikes "curmudgeons", your responses fit the definition pretty closely.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Well, not with THAT contraption, Mr. Obvious. For someone who dislikes "curmudgeons", your responses fit the definition pretty closely.
    Nah, only people who lack any sense of humor would think my remark is anything near 'curmudgeonesque'.

But careful Scott, please try not to laugh it may be contagious, perhaps there ought to be a law against it!

Quote Quote