VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using my old Sony SLV X811 video cassette recorder for shifting VHS tapes to DVD. I'm recording them at highest recording mode XP into my Pioneer 550HXS hard drive recorder.

However during the transfer, if the video cassette has a slight tracking issue, the sony VCR flashes "STEREO" on top of the picture, which means it contaminates the video transfer.

I have long lost the manual for the Sony VCR, and any info to this machine seems to be pretty thin on the ground when googling.

Does anyone know how either by the machine, or the remote, how to turn this "STEREO" visual warning off?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	VCR issue.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	31776
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it is not in the VCR's menu then the option of turning it off does not exist. Sometimes manually choosing an audio option(if that exists on that machine) instead of "AUTO" or "AUTOMATIC" does the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, the closest thing I found on the remote, was located on the upper left side, a button labelled "display". It will show an imprint of the timer clock on top of the video when it is on. Hitting the button just alternatively turns that clock on or off, but you're most probably right, can't turn off that annoying "STEREO" imprint. It seems to pop up for around five seconds, and comes about every 20 to 30 minutes, whenever they maybe a crease in the tape that may throw the tracking off. 90% of my tapes are in mint condition, I've meticulously wound them through and kept them all wounded back.

I'm just cringing at the fact that my video transfers are going to have this "STEREO" image plastered on them from time to time. The VCR to PVR method is much more reliable then VCR to PC transfers - I got sick of computers dropping frames. And in 2015, I don't think finding another good working VCR is going to be much, if not an option at all, particularly here in Australia.

I have around five to six very important VHS's to copy, and that will be it (these are rare home videos and some rare broadcasts).

There's another 500 odd tapes which I may pluck through to copy, but I've already in my mind written off getting all of them done, I'd be lucky to most probably get through a few dozen. My Sony VCR seems to be in good working nick (it was a top of the range model in 1994. But as it is over 20 years old, I'm not expecting it to last forever - I just want to grab this opportunity by the horns while my VCR is working, to copy the few irreplaceable memories from my child hood.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd check Ebay for a good VCR. Panasonic or JVC....both are pretty plentiful. I have one of each.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WOW....you are right. Just did a quick check of VCRs on Ebay in Australia....there ain't nothin' down there is there? Holy crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Long Shot: Not familiar with that model, but I seem to remember some decks (usually pro decks) used to have 2 types of output - a CLEAN output (usually just labelled "out" or similar) and an output that included on-screen display (usually labelled "monitor" or similar). If yours is like this, perhaps swapping the connections would work.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

I just Googled this machine and realized I have the same "family" VCR back home in America. Mine is an SLV-770 I believe.
    Quote Quote