VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't want to convert the subtitle into .srt or else.
    Basically I'm trying to rip a dvd with handbrake and keep the closed/hardcoded subtitle within the video image. I can do that just fine. But now what I want is to be able to move the subtitle at a different position and if possible change the color also. Handbrake doesn't have this option. So I want to edit the dvd. Just the subtitles bitmaps.

"DvDSubEdit" does exactly that. But this program crashes when opening "full domain", or if I do file by file, I'm stuck at file 5. So it's worthless. I need another program like this bugs free.

Thank for very much if you can help me!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you will find anything better/easier than dvdsubedit.

Are you sure your vob files works fine? Commercial dvd? Ripped how?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can easily change the colors of the subs while still in the DVD using PGCEdit. You can adjust the positioning using DVDSubEdit, which you seem to be having trouble with. Like Baldrick, I don't know of another program to do that. Not without extracting the subs for editing followed by remuxing/reauthoring.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies. I'm more or less newbie at ripping.
    Am I not supposed to just copy and paste the dvd folder on my hard drive then use dvdsubedit on these files? If so then it doesn't work. The program crashes in 2 different ways I'm doing it. "the application has stopped working". there is also many error that says "Inconsistant data in subpic. Unknown command, ignoring this subpic". It does that a few times and I manage to move the subtitle and write the file for the 4 first chapters but not the 5th.
    I also had problem with Handbrake as the dvd seemed to be protected and the video was filled with squares initially. Yes it's a commercial dvd. I changed a dll and now that works but I still don't know how to move the subtitle. I don't want to use that OCR thing because sometimes there is a letter or two that are wrong. I want the exact text to the pixel, only at a different place.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Danny1 View Post
    Am I not supposed to just copy and paste the dvd folder on my hard drive...
    If I'm understanding you correctly, then the answer is 'no'. You first decrypt the DVD contents to the hard drive using a proper decrypter (and Handbrake doesn't qualify) before you do anything else with it. Not copy-and-paste.
    I changed a dll and now that works...
    What works? Now you can 'Open Full Domain' in DVDSubEdit?
    So it's worthless.
    If DVDSubEdit is working for you now, you might want to apologize for that remark. It's a well-respected program.
    ...but I still don't know how to move the subtitle.
    Have you bothered reading the very well written User Manual?

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/UserManual/helpfile.htm

Try reading Section 2, especially 2.7 and 2.8.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    BDSup2Sub will let you change the colors plus move the positions and it's not that hard to use.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    BDSup2Sub will let you change the colors plus move the positions and it's not that hard to use.
    I was just testing that. Remember, he wants to adjust the position with the subs still in the DVD. I tried to open the IFO of about half a dozen DVDs and BDSup2Sub said it couldn't find SUP files in any of them. Are you sure it's supposed to work with DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to extract the subs first,sometimes it's much easier this way then to spend a lot of time trying to do it directly.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @manono I did 2.7 and 2.8
    But from my copy and paste I guess that's the problem then... Stupid me, I thought it was that easy.

"You first decrypt the DVD contents to the hard drive using a proper decrypter before you do anything else with it."
    Can you tell me a proper decrypter that do that then? I guess I'll look around but thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Danny1 View Post
    Can you tell me a proper decrypter that do that then?
    If it's an older DVD, then DVDDecrypter. For newer DVDs with advanced copy protection, DVDFab HD Decrypter. You'll probably be safer with DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It works now. Thank you all especially manono!
    Quote Quote