VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Excuse me, I would like to ask about encoding the video from Gopro camera.

The raw file is in mp4 format and It is pretty large so I am trying to encode It into mp4 which x264 or h264 in the most same setting and bitrate but the result which I get is a bit different for the color of the video. P.s. I am using TMPGENC Video mastering work to encode the video and some other programs.
    I have some photos of the detail please take a look and give some of recommended.
    I want to just encode to let it be smaller but keep all quality the same including the color.

In the photo below is the original before encoding detail.

image upload no size limit

or dilect link

http://postimg.org/delete/64rzwvc4k/

And This is how I set for encode the video

adult image hosting

direct link

http://s14.postimg.org/glvtcm8v5/5_16_2015_21_30_05.jpg

upload image online

image hosting 30 mb

image hosting 30 mb

direct link

http://s14.postimg.org/glvtcm8v5/5_16_2015_21_30_05.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/wiul9c19d/5_16_2015_21_30_14.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/d3jtg87z5/5_16_2015_21_30_33.jpg

And over here is the different of the result between Original and Encoded file

1. Original video.

how to screenshot on windows

Direct link

http://s14.postimg.org/fz1i0u1cx/5_16_2015_21_32_38.jpg

2. After Encoded video as you can see the much different in color and contrast

free photo hosting

Direct link

http://s14.postimg.org/e8igzcjtt/kapook_world_748173.jpg

P.S. I was trying to check if it would look the same if they are on the same bitrate , but what I get is different contrast result
    by the way I would like to resize so I set it down to 12000 kbps before I was trying on the same bitrate as the original one.

Thank you for your comments
    Last edited by Sandee W; 16th May 2015 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Sandee W View Post
    Excuse me, I would like to ask about encoding the video from Gopro camera.

The raw file is in mp4 format and It is pretty large so I am trying to encode It into mp4 which x264 or h264 in the most same setting and bitrate but the result which I get is a bit different for the color of the video. P.s. I am using TMPGENC Video mastering work to encode the video and some other programs.
    I have some photos of the detail please take a look and give some of recommended.
    I want to just encode to let it be smaller but keep all quality the same including the color.
    If you encode it with the same bitrate, it will be the same filesize.

Filesize = bitrate * running time

The other levels issue is because the source video has a full range flag. To keep the same thing you must encode with a full range flag. With x264 you would use:

Code:
    --input-range pc --range pc
    I don't use mastering works, but if they have an extra options line you would add that. Or if they have a pulldown menu, you would add that.

It's not recommended to use full range for video in general, because different software players, renderers and hardware might not play it back properly. Not all players understand or read the flag properly. You should adjust the levels and encode it normal range for it to look the same everywhere
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Sandee W View Post
    Excuse me, I would like to ask about encoding the video from Gopro camera.

If you encode it with the same bitrate, it will be the same filesize.

Filesize = bitrate * running time

The other levels issue is because the source video has a full range flag. To keep the same thing you must encode with a full range flag. With x264 you would use:

Code:
    --input-range pc --range pc
    I don't use mastering works, but if they have an extra options line you would add that. Or if they have a pulldown menu, you would add that.

It's not recommended to use full range for video in general, because different software players, renderers and hardware might not play it back properly. Not all players understand or read the flag properly. You should adjust the levels and encode it normal range for it to look the same everywhere

Thank you for your reply , I was trying to check if it would look the same if they are on the same bitrate , but what I get is different contrast result
    by the way I would like to resize so I set it down to 12000 kbps before I was trying on the same bitrate as the original one.

Sorry but I don't really understand about level could you give some explaination ?

below is the advance options

photo hosting
    Last edited by Sandee W; 16th May 2015 at 13:12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Surely you must understand it does not work like that.

Something's got to give!

Question for you is what is your problem with the big file?
    After all no bits were harmed in the process.

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Surely you must understand it does not work like that.

Something's got to give!

Question for you is what is your problem with the big file?
    After all no bits were harmed in the process.

Thanks for your opinion ! The problem is I have no much space to keep to large file so If I could shrink the file size with keep the acceptable quality (in this case contrast and color) should be fine for me to keep bitrate around 12000 kbps from 45 mbps

but the question is however I encode it it would always decrease the color of the video ...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Sandee W View Post
    but the question is however I encode it it would always decrease the color of the video ...
    You're not decreasing the color, you're displaying it differently. In VMW5 use the color correction filter and under YUV there's a dropdown with a CCIR601 Expansion option. If that doesn't fix it you can try increasing the contrast. (Which really will decrease color, but it will look more like what you want.)

Your real solution though is to get another hard drive if you're going to be shooting a lot of high bitrate, high framerate GoPro footage. As it is you are throwing out half the frames already.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Your real solution though is to get another hard drive if you're going to be shooting a lot of high bitrate, high framerate GoPro footage. As it is you are throwing out half the frames already.
    Perhaps it is a case of large file size phobia.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    According to those dialog boxes, your source is 120FPS, and your "intended"? is 60FPS. Given all other aspects being equal, that will cut the size in 1/2.
    And if you intend on being efficient with your allocation of bitrate in the resultant file, it makes much more sense to use CRF/CQ if you can, or 2pass VBR if you can't, rather than CBR.
    So, the 2 items alone, along with judicious choice of max+avg bitrates, could drop your filesize quite a bit.

However, as newpball has stated, you WILL be losing quality. Whether it's enough for you to notice it (enough) or care is up to you and those settings.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    According to those dialog boxes, your source is 120FPS, and your "intended"? is 60FPS. Given all other aspects being equal, that will cut the size in 1/2.
    And if you intend on being efficient with your allocation of bitrate in the resultant file, it makes much more sense to use CRF/CQ if you can, or 2pass VBR if you can't, rather than CBR.
    So, the 2 items alone, along with judicious choice of max+avg bitrates, could drop your filesize quite a bit.

However, as newpball has stated, you WILL be losing quality. Whether it's enough for you to notice it (enough) or care is up to you and those settings.

Scott

Thanks Scott , I was trying for VBR 2 passed already I could have shrink the size but the result is the same for the color changed.

Also I did try for 60 fps source, I set it all same setting but what I get is still the same point color changing.

By the way , thanks for your opinion
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    You're not decreasing the color, you're displaying it differently. In VMW5 use the color correction filter and under YUV there's a dropdown with a CCIR601 Expansion option. If that doesn't fix it you can try increasing the contrast. (Which really will decrease color, but it will look more like what you want.)

Thanks Smrpix, for your help ! well there is no any way right ? if I would convert it and keep the as same color as the source ?

I just notice that I set the wrong bitrate in the picture I post in this thread but before I used to try for 60 fps source and I set it all the same setting as the original at 60 fps the same , but just decrease the bitrate to 12000kbs the quality still be ok except the color is drop down in converted video...

by the way I was trying the another programs as well I was trying gopro stuidio to convert but it's all the same. I can't get the same color as the source...

I understand about decreasing about quality from original
    my point is just like even I set all the bitrate as same as the source but still I don't get the correct color for converted video...

I would like to know is there any way to encode and it won't get the wrong color from the original video (I can accept for losing some quality of bitrate)

I bought 3 1tb external hdd well I don't wanna waste the storage if I can save some of it....

Anyway , Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Perhaps it is a case of large file size phobia.

hello again newpball, It's not about large file size phobia haha, I have bought some 1tb external hdd but if I could save some storage I would like to do so. I could accept for decreasing bitrate for little. The point is I would like to know how I can convert with the correct color footage as the original.

I apologize for any mistakes.

p.s. also my poor English.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    So why record 120fps if you don't want to store it?

It's like buying a pizza for takeout and then throwing away half of it because you don't like to carry large boxes home.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As has already been pointed out to you, all those transforms & options aren't the problem. The problem is in how the file+app+vidcard driver+OS+monitor are interpreting your color settings. Something isn't right with one (or, more likely MORE) of those things, and you will have to work out that problem FIRST regardless of your ultimate choice of target bitrate, etc.

@newpball, capping/shooting 120fps even when storing/editing in 60fps makes plenty of sense if the purpose was to have control over the downconversion algorithm(s)!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @newpball, capping/shooting 120fps even when storing/editing in 60fps makes plenty of sense if the purpose was to have control over the downconversion algorithm(s)!
    Very true indeed!

However you can't do that with avisynth

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes you can (well, I can).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes you can (well, I can).
    Interesting.

You would need something like this:

You split the video in even and odd frames, then frame double each separate video by reverse motion 'prediction' and then apply a median operation where more weight is given to "matching" frames?

How do you do it?

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I won't tell you exactly, but you can do a Google search on "avisynth motion blur" to get a good example of similar methods.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    As has already been pointed out to you, all those transforms & options aren't the problem. The problem is in how the file+app+vidcard driver+OS+monitor are interpreting your color settings. Something isn't right with one (or, more likely MORE) of those things, and you will have to work out that problem FIRST regardless of your ultimate choice of target bitrate, etc.

Scott

Thanks again Scott, well let's me ask one more question if it's about the hardware to show the wrong level color of the converted video...
    why I could see the normal level in the original one (sorry for being very stupid for this topic)
    you meant the hardware affect only the video which already converted right ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. First , fill in the details on how you are viewing this ? What software? How did you take the screenshots ? Are you using 1 media player open at 1 time ?

Usually, the issue with gopro videos is the full range flag and how the other software (either converting or displaying , or both) handles it. Certainly that is what your screenshots suggest
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    First , fill in the details on how you are viewing this ? What software? How did you take the screenshots ? Are you using 1 media player open at 1 time ?

Usually, the issue with gopro videos is the full range flag and how the other software (either converting or displaying , or both) handles it. Certainly that is what your screenshots suggest

I open two windows of Media player classic to compare to color between the original and converted video then takes the screenshots. And I tried to use another programs such as Gopro studio and winx hd converter to convert but the result was the same. I have got the different color from the original.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You usually cannot use 2 media players at the same time to compare, because the 2nd instance will usually look different because only 1 can use the graphics overlay at a time . Try doing it one at a time - is the difference still there ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, 2 media player instances will OFTEN show color differences: one uses a different renderer than the other (1st instance has priority in rendering fallback queue).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You usually cannot use 2 media players at the same time to compare, because the 2nd instance will usually look different because only 1 can use the graphics overlay at a time . Try doing it one at a time - is the difference still there ?
    Yes it still different. Even though I open one window and check for the result.

Also I tried with another program such VLC too.

the result is the same as I compared though. : (

Almost giving up... I can't figure it out except keeping the large raw file.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I've posted the answer in another thread on go pro

Basically, the go pro files are full range and have a full range flag. This means they use 0-255 levels in Y,U,V , instead of the standard 16-235 for Y , and 16-240 for U and V

The problem is different software (either decoding, rendering for playback, or converting) don't treat full range files necessarily the same way. Some obey the flag, some ignore it - so some decode it full range, others clamp it, others clip, some convert to RGB with limited range, some use a full range matrix . Even with your original camera files before you convert it, this is true - it can look different in different software

A) The "best" way is to scale it to "normal range", that way it will look and play the same everywhere

B) The other way, to decode , encode and flag it full range - that way it will have similar characteristics to the original go pro files (which actually isn't a good thing)

There might be a small chance that your files are different that the other go pro files, but I really doubt it. If you want to upload a small sample I can verify and check., or if you want to cut a sample and don' t know how to, just ask
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I've posted the answer in another thread on go pro

Basically, the go pro files are full range and have a full range flag. This means they use 0-255 levels in Y,U,V , instead of the standard 16-235 for Y , and 16-240 for U and V

The problem is different software (either decoding, rendering for playback, or converting) don't treat full range files necessarily the same way. Some obey the flag, some ignore it - so some decode it full range, others clamp it, others clip, some convert to RGB with limited range, some use a full range matrix . Even with your original camera files before you convert it, this is true - it can look different in different software

A) The "best" way is to scale it to "normal range", that way it will look and play the same everywhere

B) The other way, to decode , encode and flag it full range - that way it will have similar characteristics to the original go pro files (which actually isn't a good thing)

There might be a small chance that your files are different that the other go pro files, but I really doubt it. If you want to upload a small sample I can verify and check., or if you want to cut a sample and don' t know how to, just ask

Thanks for your help , yes I could give you some of sameple. Well should I upload on youtube or ?

Another thing is I don't know how to adjust the full flag and level of Y U V in the converter program though...

Could I send you the sameples in pm ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes you can PM it, but if it's not too personal, you should upload it directly to the public forum (push the upload files/manage attachements buton) so other people can learn from this (ie. Perhaps other gopro users can benefit )
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes you can PM it, but if it's not too personal, you should upload it directly to the public forum (push the upload files/manage attachements buton) so other people can learn from this (ie. Perhaps other gopro users can benefit )

Alright then I will attach here. Well how can I trim the original footage without color changing btw ? cause I need to export it in some program I afraid if It would change the level again.
    Quote Quote  
  28. You can use avidemux to stream copy a segment

Open the file, set video output to COPY audio output to COPY, output format to MP4 MUXER

Move the slider to where you want to start then push the "<<" or ">>" button at the bottom of the GUI to jump to a keyframe . Push the "A" button at the bottom of the GUI (not the keyboard) to mark in .

Repeat for the mark out - Move the slider and push the "<<" or ">>" button then push "B" button of the GUI to mark out

That section should now be enclosed in a "blue box" on the timeline

Save the file (ctrl+s), enter filename with extension (e.g. "myfile.mp4")

It doesn't have to be a large sample, a few seconds is fine
    Quote Quote  
  29. In the meantime, here is a thread with another go pro sample "GOPR1262.MP4" (1080p50) , you can download it directly from post #5
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367549-same-mp4-opened-in-VD-and-avisynth-is-differ...=1#post2349529

I've attached a re-encode that was decoded full range, encoded full range, and flagged full range, just like the source go pro video (method B). Can you tell me if they both look the same (in terms of levels) on your setup compared to the original "GOPR1262.MP4" ? The re-encoded file is obviously worse in quality (it's 6-7x smaller), I'm just referring to general appearance

Also one that was scaled to limited range (method A)

Both used ffmpeg - both should look the same on properly configured playback even though the levels are different. If either or both appear like the original in terms of levels and color (they both should), I can write instructions how to do a batch file with ffmpeg
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 17th May 2015 at 01:14.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    In the meantime, here is a thread with another go pro sample "GOPR1262.MP4" (1080p50) , you can download it directly from post #5
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367549-same-mp4-opened-in-VD-and-avisynth-is-differ...=1#post2349529

I've attached a re-encode that was decoded full range, encoded full range, and flagged full range, just like the source go pro video (method B). Can you tell me if they both look the same (in terms of levels) on your setup compared to the original "GOPR1262.MP4" ? The re-encoded file is obviously worse in quality (it's 6-7x smaller), I'm just referring to general appearance

Also one that was scaled to limited range (method A)

Both used ffmpeg - both should look the same on properly configured playback even though the levels are different. If either or both appear like the original in terms of levels and color (they both should), I can write instructions how to do a batch file with ffmpeg

I apologize for late reply, I checked with those video already

the full range file seems to be more colorful and contrast

in opposite the limited range seems similar to the file which I converted , it looks more pale than the full range video.

The full range file look more like the original video from gopro
    Quote Quote