VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys I am going to start a YouTube channel and am researching all the equipment I will need to get the job done right.

I am currently researching laptops that will be able to handle my video editing needs.

My situation: I am a beginner so I will use basic editing software (Adobe Premiere) and only using basic features. My videos will range from 5-to-30 minutes in length. I will be using a 1080p camera to capture my videos.

From the research I have done I’ve found I need a laptop with:

-I5 or higher internal processor for CPU

-Minimum of 8GB of RAM

-1TB of hard drive @ 7200 RPM

-Minimum of 17 in. screen (however I plan to hook my laptop up to my flat screen TV to conquer this hurdle so I’m not too worried about screen size)

Questions:

1. Is this the right specifications for what I am seeking to do? (If I get a computer with these specs and do my video editing will the quality of the footage be unaltered from the rendering process? Will my computer crash from overload of work?)

2. I have found computers with all the specs aforementioned except the hard drive runs @ 5400 RPM instead of 7200 RPM. Will this be an issue if I go with the 5400 RPM HD?

3. Should I even worry about the HD and just buy an external HD with the specs I need to get the job done instead?

Currently I am looking at the following models of laptops:

1. Lenovo ThinkPad T450s http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t450s/?sb=:00000025:00003B0A:

2. Inspiron 17 5000 series http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-17-5749-laptop/pd?oc=smi175w7ps2434d&model_...17-5749-laptop

3. HP Envy http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PDPStdView?storeId=10151&urlLangId=-1&pr...&TabName=specs

4. Toshiba Satellite L70-BST2NX4 http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/L70/L70-BST2NX4

Thanks for your help!
    -Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mr.rob View Post
    I am currently researching laptops that will be able to handle my video editing needs.
    For video editing get a desktop.

First of all you get a more powerful computer for the same amount of money and second a laptop screen is simply too small to do effective video editing.

For video editing I recommend the a minimum of a QHD 27 inch and up primary and a HD 22 inch and up secondary monitor.

Other things I recommend:

- Run the OS from an SSD drive.
    - Have at least one drive that runs 7200 and is fast (not all 7200 drives are fast!) for caching and temp files.
    - Have a good video card (GeForce 960 and up).
    - Have at least 16GB of memory.
    - Run Windows 8.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The reason people use laptops to edit video is because they don't want to be tied down to big hardware. You can still use wall monitor flatscreens using a laptop. TV's and monitors all have the smaller connectors now.

Myself, I have 16GB ram and SSD, in a 15 inch laptop, and use Vegas Pro 12. VP12 starts up in about 5 seconds. And ready to edit. Rendering times are more geared toward the complexity of the render.

My display is UHD so although it's a little smallish, it's still clear and crisp.
    Last edited by budwzr; 15th May 2015 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
  4. And either get more harddrives or a bigger hard drive. You'll fill a 1TB drive in no time with your hi-def videos. For someone that wants to jump into video editing in a big way I'm surprised you think a laptop is the way to go. At least newpball set you straight on that one.
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    The reason people use laptops to edit video is because they don't want to be tied down to big hardware.
    He'll be spending hours on the computer doing his work. Whatever kind he gets he'll be 'tied down'. PCs can be configured the way you want, upgraded, overclocked and all kinds of other things one can't do with laptops.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the timely responses guys!

I'm a complete newb when it comes to all of this stuff and really have just begun my research process. I'm not much into computers or tech stuff but I really want to get my content out there by the beginning of September and need to get the proper equipment for everything.

I could use a desktop if I had to but I would much rather have a laptop for convenience and travel purposes.

@newpball- Do you think I could score a desktop with all those specs for less than $800 ?

As far as the screen goes I planned to use a flat screen TV to hook up to the monitor and thus have a bigger screen. I doubt I'll get into the dual monitor editing studio this early in my editing career.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're a total noob, it's gonna be a lot longer than September.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're a total noob, it's gonna be a lot longer than September.
    ****! Haha I wish I understood this world.

You see in my mind it's simply the following (assuming I have all the equipment in place)

1. Record video and audio infield.

2. Upload video and audio to computer/editing software

3. Edit video

4. Render video

5. upload to YouTube

For my purposes I do not need great editing skills since most of my content will be raw footage anyway. However I do realize there is quite a learning curve to all this.

Is this a reasonable expectation or am I overlooking things?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but #3 is the sticky part.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay got it.

So I should seek to get my equipment in place ASAP and then get to work learning the editing process double time?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple people in mind to show me how to use the editing software that are very proficient at it so hopefully that will reduce the learning curve as well.

Thanks for your input.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    September. Forever the optimist, budwzr, LOL!

If you're gonna play with video for distribution, you need a lot more than a laptop. $800 might get you there with a desktop if you shop around, but there's no way a high powered laptop will come in at that price. A portable might do in a pinch when you have to go somewhere, but it's not the right tool -- not even if you hook it up to a TV, which requires more than a laptop or typical PC graphics card for good performance from PC to TV. At this point monitor calibration hasn't even been mentioned, and that alone would get well over $100 ($250 would be more like it). Your research should also be telling you that the gamma and luma response curves for TV's and PC's is not the same, which is why calibration for both types of display are necessary for video work.

Windows 8 will be limited when it comes to software. Nobody likes Windows 8, I don't care how fast it is. It sucks for video software. Come to think of it, Win8 has been pretty good to me. I made about $3000 last year on the side cleaning malware and viruses out of Win8 machines.

Another point about laptops. The drives are slow, the CPUs can get only so fast, because it all generates lots of heat. Heat destroys computer stuff. You can put some nice big cooling fans and faster drives in a PC. You'll need more than one hard drive for video work anyway.

Yeah, but #3 is the sticky part.
    #4 ain't gonna be a piece of cake either.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th May 2015 at 15:33.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like the anarchists have arrived. Time to bail.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay got it I will hit the research side of things more.

Do any of you fine people have any resources you could point me to for researching for a desktop for video editing? (Websites etc?)

Any desktops off the top of yalls head that are a good deal and will suit my editing needs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, I got a system from them in 2002 for DV+HDV editing+DVD Authoring. Wasn't too overpriced and all worked well together. If you are good at systems integration, you could likely put together a better system for same price (or an equal system for cheaper price). But they are good for benchmark guides - that's what I do now for my own builds.

Scott
    Quote Quote