VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to show frame number in Potplayer?

I know you can press Tab to Display Full Playback Info, which shows the frame number, but that also includes a ton of video and audio codec info that covers up the video. Is there a way to customize that to eliminate the codec info?

There's also Shift+Tab (Display Short Playback Info) or Scroll Lock (Display Playback Time Info), but neither of those seem to have frame number. Is it possible to customize those to show frame number?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know if you can do it directly in Potplayer. But if you disable the internal decoder for the compression codec you can use ffdshow to do the decoding. It has the option to add all kinds of info, including frame number. You pick what you want to see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	osd.png
Views:	5675
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	31682
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right out of the box defaults, just hit the tab key to display on screen information and then hit 'F' key for forward and 'D' key for backward when near your target

Name:	ScreenHunter_140 May. 15 14.31.jpg
Views:	4813
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	31698
    Last edited by Budman1; 15th May 2015 at 15:33.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Right out of the box defaults, just hit the tab key to display on screen information
    If you read his host you'll see he already knows that. He wants to limit the display to just the frame number.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OOOps... Guess I better go back to speed reading class again... Misssed that.

The only way I know is to use AVISYNTH which Potplayer will play and the frame forward/backward actually works a little better using it.

Just create an AVS (text) file ( videoname.AVS) with such as the following.

DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Mia_all.wmv ")
    ShowFrameNumber(scroll=true, x=10, y=27, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    # ShowFrameNumber(scroll=true, x=256, y=27, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    # ShowTime(x=318, y=44, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    # ShowSMPTE(fps=29.97, x=314, y=61, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)

Name:	ScreenHunter_140 May. 15 14.23.jpg
Views:	3220
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	31697

I included and commented out the times settings as well if you so wish to have them but included them in a picture to display how they would look. I do not know of a way to remove all the unwanted information of the TAB key and I have used PotPlayer for a long time. The AVS file is created automatically in a test program I am writing so it may contain extra/unnecessary items that will work if included.
    Quote Quote  
  6. To use the script with any video files..

Name:	2015-05-16_9-35-48.jpg
Views:	4730
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	31703
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VERY NICE! Thank you Sheppaul!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't really use Potplayer so I haven't updated it in a few years. The version I have doesn't have the AviSynth options.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't really use Potplayer so I haven't updated it in a few years. The version I have doesn't have the AviSynth options.
    Well update it then...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sheppaul,

Thanks for your suggestion. I kind of got it working with the "potplayer_source()" setting, but there are some issues: if I only play the video forward, the frame number displays fine. But if I seek backwards or previous frame, the frame number gets totally messed up.

My Potplayer Video Avisynth settings:
    I had to uncheck Buffer (otherwise frame number was off by 2002 frames).
    I had to uncheck Reset on Seek (otherwise frame number would reset to 0 whenever I seeked).
    Fiddling with the Fast Output, Use Only in Progressive Frames, Delay checkboxes did not seem to make a difference.

The interesting thing is that when I created an .avs file with DirectShowSource("c:\myfile.mov"), and opened it with Potplayer, it works perfectly, even if I seek backwards. But I don't want to have to edit an .avs file for every video file. Any suggestions to try to get the "potplayer_source()" method to work properly?

My environment:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    PotPlayer 32-bit 1.6.54266
    Avisynth 32-bit 1.6.0RC3
    testing on MOV H264 video files from iPhone.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by madbucky View Post
    Any suggestions to try to get the "potplayer_source()" method to work properly?
    You probably can't. The problem as you describe it is in potplayer's source filter and decoder.

Try what I suggested post #2.

Or you can automate the creation of an AviSynth script with DirectShowSource() (or better, ffVideoSource()) and the spawning potplayer with a batch file in your SendTo folder. That way you can right click on a video file, select SendTo -> BatchName.BAT, and the AviSynth script will be created and PotPlayer started with it. Something like:

Code:
    echo DirectShowSource("%~d1%~p1%~n1%~x1") > "%~d1%~p1%~n1.avs"
    echo ShowFrameNumber() >> "%~d1%~p1%~n1.avs"
    start "potplayer" "c:\program files\potplayer\potplayer.exe" "%~d1%~p1%~n1.avs"
    Beware that DirectShowSource() isn't always frame accurate either. It's very difficult to seek to random frames accurately with long GOP codecs. They're made for sequential playback, not editing.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th May 2015 at 08:13.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Right out of the box defaults, just hit the tab key to display on screen information and then hit 'F' key for forward and 'D' key for backward when near your target
    Or, right-arrow/left-arrow for 5-second advance/rewind along with F/D for frame-advance/rewind.

Then use TAB to toggle all of PotPlayer's displayed info on or off.

If this produces accurate current frame value no matter where you are, why fool with AVSynth and its apparent issues that make it not quite perfect? Just find the frame number for the frame you want (for editing, presumably?) with TAB after positioning correctly, and then TAB it off, and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    if you disable the internal decoder for the compression codec you can use ffdshow to do the decoding. It has the option to add all kinds of info, including frame number.
    Thanks jagabo, ffdshow ended up being the solution that worked reliably to give accurate frame number even with seeking back and forth and next/prev frame.

For the future benefit of other noobs like myself, here are the steps to do that:

Open ffdshow video decoder (match 32 vs 64 bit with Potplayer)
    Codecs > set Decoder to libavcodec for the formats that you want
    OSD > check OSD, Current Frame

In Potplayer, change Filter Control > Video Decoder > set to System Default for the formats that you want
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All:
    Discovered PotPlayer when looking for a way to display frame # during playback. For a current project I have both MTS and mp4 files.

I've installed aviSynth and followed the directions for using the avisynth script as instructed in post #6, but its not working.

I've been able to get the ffdshow method working, but it only works for .mts files, doesn't work for .mp4. There is not an "MPEG-4" setting for choosing ffdshow as the decoder.

Also turned off DXVA, which didn't change anything.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try writing an avisynth script as in post # 5 and play it in Potplayer.

Code:
    DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Mia_all.wmv ")
    ShowFrameNumber(scroll=true, x=10, y=27, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    There are better xxxsource lines to use, but if your pc can play the mpeg-4 files normally, it should play in Potplayer
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp4 files play fine in PotPlayer. The problem is getting the frame numbers to show using one of these methods.

As it turns out, ffdshow displays 'Current Frame' on some of my mp4 files, but it doesn't work on files which are from a Sony camera.

I'm not able to get the avisynth method to work at all. I have tried many settings, including set the colorspace to YV12 per the info panel - but no go.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by pixeldroid View Post
    As it turns out, ffdshow displays 'Current Frame' on some of my mp4 files, but it doesn't work on files which are from a Sony camera.
    MP4 is a container. It can contain video compressed with a number of different codecs. You need to determine what video codec is used in those files. Then disable that codec in PotPlayer and enable it in ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The codec is mp42.
    I have set ffdshow as the decoder for each of the codecs where it is available in the codec list.
    Any other suggested settings?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. You must also disable Potplayer's internal MP42 decoder. That's probably the Divx or Xvid decoders.

Right click on Potplayer while the video is playing and hover over Filters. What video decoder does it show?

You might be out of luck. I don't keep Potplayer up to date. The version I have is a year or two old. But there doesn't seem to be any way to turn off PotPlayer's internal MP42 decoder (that's Microsoft's old experimental MPEG 4 Part 2 codec).
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Apr 2016 at 10:32.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Following your instructions, video codecs in the list:
    Built-in DXVA Decoder
    Built-in MP4 Source (Greyed)
    Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (Greyed)
    Enhanced Video Renderer

In Manage Filters/Source/Splitter, for MP4/QT they have:
    Built-in MP4
    FF MPeg MP4
    LAV (which I assume is there because I installed the LAV decoders).

I've tried all of them.

I may be SOL on this one. Do you know of another player that displays frame numbers as an overlay or in the controller? QT Pro has this feature, but it won't play any of these files.

Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First thing to do is be sure you are using what you think you are to decode the video. Play the video in Potplayer and hit the tab key.

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Apr. 08 19.39.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	36447

If it will not play, this is how I have mine set up which works fine. 1st NO ffdshow for mpx or AVC since I let the built in decoders in Potp[layer decode the MP4's:

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Apr. 08 19.41.jpg
Views:	2532
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	36448

Then I have Potplayer preferences set as follows.:

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Apr. 08 19.36.jpg
Views:	2413
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	36449Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Apr. 08 19.37.jpg
Views:	2251
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	36450

This whole thing is to let Potplayer use IT's codec and to NOT use it's internal AVISynth but use the one you installed. (Mine is version 2.60). Then write the whole AVISynth script to use it instead of trying to 'tie' it to Potplayers. I'm not saying you cannot do it as described above but to set everything individually to get it to work.

Bear in mind, if your MP4;'s use different codecs then you may have to use FFDshow, LAV, or FFMpeg. Unfottunately, that is MP4's legacy of AVC, H265, VP4,6 etc. It's not just the the container MP4 but the codec it uses. If Directshowsource fails you can add the ffms2.DLL and ffms2AVSI plugins to the AVISynth plugins folder and use :

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\MEGA_Trimmed_Tabbed_2_2\bin\Debug\ffms2.dll")
    A = FFAudioSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Various test Formats\[dp]Manjandani-1.mp4")
    V = FFVideoSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Various test Formats\[dp]Manjandani-1.mp4").Crop(0,0,-0,-0).LanczosResize(864,368)
    AudioDub(V, A)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Edit. I see Budman1 beat me to it with another way to skin the cat. Oh well.... now you've got more options.

If you happened to be using MPC-HC this would be easy. Enable ffdshow's RAW Video decoder at the bottom of the codecs list, open a video with MPC-HC, the video is decoded by MPC-HC as usual, ffdshow pops up to process the decoded video and it's filters are available to use. You can enable it's on screen display, or add stuff to it's Avisynth filter etc.

Unfortunately though, the second option.... adding stuff to ffdshow's AVIsynth filter to display the frame number.... appears to be a waste of time. I kind of remember something about it being designed so people couldn't do silly things such as add AssumeFPS() to the AVisynth filter section because then the audio and video would want to play at different speeds. Maybe it's something to do with that, but it seems Avisynth has no idea where it is. Skip backward and forward and the frame count just keeps progressing. Given Potplayer seems to be mostly a collection of bits borrowed from other players and software, it possibly explains why it's Avisynth filter behaves the same way.

If you try the following method I think it'd be an idea to reset Potplayer first and start again. There's an Initialise button in Preferences. From there it should be easy......

Open ffdshow's video decoder configuration and enable the RAW Video Decoder under the list of codecs, then disable everything else. You can leave some codecs enabled if you want to, but once Potplayer is configured all you should need is the RAW Video Decoder enabled for ffdshow to process the decoded video, regardless of the format.

With that done, venture into the labyrinth known as Potplayer's preferences, and select Filter Control - Global Filter Priority. Click on the "Add Registered Filter" button. As you may have guessed, "ffdshow video decoder" is the one you need to add. When you've added it, highlight it, then on the right change the priority to "Prefer". Any of ffdshow's enabled codecs should now take priority over Potplayer's built in decoding, but all you should need for ffdshow to run is to have it's Raw Video Decoder enabled.

That should be it. Open a video, Potplayer will decode, ffdshow will do the raw video processing, and you can use ffdshow's filters including it's on screen display. Or alternatively it won't work at all..... whatever the case may be.
    If not MPC-HC and ffdshow seem to play well together.

Here's a ShowFrameNumber() script loaded into Potplayer's Avisynth section and displaying "some number" on the left (if anyone knows how to make it work properly I wouldn't mind knowing) and ffdshow's on screen display on the right. You can configure what displays and what doesn't. You may need to change renderers if it doesn't work, although it shouldn't matter. I was using "VMR 9 Renderless".

Name:	Potplayer.jpg
Views:	3096
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	36451
    Last edited by hello_hello; 11th Apr 2016 at 10:12.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by pixeldroid View Post
    In Manage Filters/Source/Splitter, for MP4/QT they have:
    Built-in MP4
    FF MPeg MP4
    LAV (which I assume is there because I installed the LAV decoders).
    For the record, a splitter won't change how a video is decoded. The splitter splits off the various streams for the decoders.
    The only way to change whether something is decoded is to change it for a particular type of codec. It could be mpeg4 in an MKV, or an MP4, or an AVI, you'd need to disable the decoder for that particular codec.
    If your MP4 files contained Xvid encoded video, it appears for Potplayer you'd disable Xvid under Filter Control - Video Decoder. Changing it to "system default" should result in an installed codec.... ffdshow or LAV...... decoding the video for any file containing Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @hello_hello:
    Thanks a ton! This worked.
    Previous to discovering this forum (and PotPlayer) I did try this in MPC using ffdshow, and I had the same problem of 'Current Frame' not showing in mp42 encoded videos. Enabling ffdshhow's Raw Video decocer also fixed that problem.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help solve this problem. We have a lot of video to log and I am setting it up for a very non-geeky person to log the shots - this will be soooo helpful. She can also save select still straight from the high-def footage, so we are grateful...

FWIW, the avisynth data still doesn't show, do I need to tell PotPlayer where AVI Synth is intalled?
    @Budman1: Thanks for taking the time to provide the details. I still had no luck after following your instructions. Do I need to load ffms2.dll? If so, where to I get it? Also, in your script you identify the audio and video to play. Is there a script that will just display the specified elements universally?

A couple of things for anyone finding their way to this thread:

The overlay settings for ffdshow are set independently of the player, so changing the settings in one app changes them in the others that use it.

Here how to open ffdshow settings by themselves:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax",configure

"Filter Control - Global Filter Priority" referenced above is currently found in Preference/Filter Control/Filter Priority (Overall)

To enable ffdshow's RAW Video decoder, choose "all supported".

After installing the ffdshhow filter as described above, it's settings can be accessed by double clicking - again any changes will be applied to any application that uses it.

For logging video, PotPlayer has an advantage over MPC - it allows the placent of bookmarks which can useful for referencing sections of the video for review.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm not sure why the script isn't showing in Potplayer. Are you using just this line?

By the way, did you know you can use ffdshow's filters in scripts without ffdshow? The Avisynth plugin might be optional when ffdshow is installed, but if you have it:

Load_Stdcall_Plugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth\C Plugins\ffavisynth.dll")
    ffdshow(preset="default")

Now, wouldn't it be interesting to create a script to load into Potplayer's Avisynth section that loads ffdshow as a plugin with it's on screen filter enabled?
    I don't even want to think about it......

Here how to open ffdshow settings by themselves:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax",configure
    Is that any different to opening it with a shortcut in the start menu? ffdshow usually creates them.

After installing the ffdshhow filter as described above, it's settings can be accessed by double clicking - again any changes will be applied to any application that uses it.
    ffdshow's icon should appear in the system tray when it runs. I wrote something about that not being the case when it's added to Potplayer as a filter, but it seems that was wrong so I deleted it.
    You can open multiple instances of a player and each can use different ffdshow settings. You can switch between presets or enable/disable filters etc by right clicking on the appropriate ffdshow icon. The configuration only becomes "common" when it's saved and then only for new instances of ffdshow.... or when an instance of ffdshow closes that'll be the configuration for next time it runs.

You reminded me of ffdshow's "preset autoloading".
    Preset "A" could be set to load when MPC-HC runs ffdshow, Preset "B" could be set to load when Potplayer opens ffdshow. Preset "C" could auto-load when any player opens a video with a resolution of 720p. What if you could make copies of Potplayer.exe with different names. Would it get upset? If not each could load a different ffdshow preset.
    I'm not sure if the auto-loading of presets will work when ffdshow is being run as a filter in Potplayer, but it can't hurt to try.

One more way to get to the ffdshow configuration..... go to the filter section in Potplayer's preferences where ffdshow was added, highlight it and click "Filter Information".
    Last edited by hello_hello; 10th Apr 2016 at 04:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Budman1: Thanks for taking the time to provide the details. I still had no luck after following your instructions. Do I need to load ffms2.dll? If so, where to I get it?
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FFmpegSource will let you download and shows the functions you can use in avisynth. The ffms2.dll has to be placed in your /avisynth/plugins directory. In case your computer is not set up to automatically find this, it doesnt hurt to add it as below

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\MEGA_Trimmed_Tabbed_2_2\bin\Debug\ffms2.dll")
    ffmpegsource2("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Various test Formats\[dp]Manjandani-1.mp4")
    ffmpegsource2 is a composite of the video and audio as explained on the above web page.

With Potplayer installed out of the box and avisynth the same way and no checks in Potplayer to use avisynth the scripts should work using Potplayers splitter and video codec when you drop the AVS script on it. Try both the directshowsource and the ffmpegsource2 functions (after loading ffms2.dll into avisynth/plugins directory.) One of them should work.

Also, in your script you identify the audio and video to play. Is there a script that will just display the specified elements universally?
    Like aby program, it doesn't hurt to specify the complete path for plugins, video, etc. They are going to use the normal program folder then path string set in windows and then the specified path. If you get a message saying it can't find a video, it almost always means your path is not specified or specified wrong.

Do you have some videos play but without the frame number? Also try x= and y= like x=150 y=150 just to be sure you don't have some weird aspect problem and the frame number is off the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by pixeldroid View Post
    FWIW, the avisynth data still doesn't show, do I need to tell PotPlayer where AVI Synth is intalled?
    After I realised you were using a different version of Potplayer (it's a beta, but newer than the version I have) I uninstalled Potplayer and installed that version. The script still displays so it seems it's not a problem with Potplayer. Have you confirmed Avisynth is working?

Create a text file, and add the following to it:

Colorbars()

Save it and change the extension from txt to avs. Open it with MPC-HC or Potplayer. You can just drag and drop it onto the player window. Do you see colour bars?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 10th Apr 2016 at 05:08.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The saga continues...
    Colorbars() does not work in either player. In PotPlayer I get:
    "The file exists, but doesn't seem to have any video".
    So clearly the players are not seeing aviSynth.

@Budman1:
    There is no "Plugins" folder in my PotPlayer install. However I have this file:
    C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Module\FFmpeg\FFmpegMininum64.dll

I copies these 3 files into the "Module" folder
    ffmsindex.exe
    ffms2.lib
    ffms2.dll
    Didn't fix the problem.

I also created a "C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Plugins folder and moved the files in there
    Didn't fix the problem.

I also added this to the aviSynth Script pane in PP:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Plugins\ffms2.lib")
    Still no display.

I'm configuring a computer for video logging by someone who is totally a non-geek, so I want to be able to have the frame numbers show up when any file is double clicked.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another question: I noticed that my mp42 videos would not produce thumbnails in the Win Explorer. After about 2 hours of researching this unfortunate problem I installed the K-Lite Codecs and Tweaker, which fixed that problem. However the K-Lite installer removed both aviSynth and ffdshow. I re-installed both and I still have my thumbnails and the "Current Frame" display from ffdshow. Out of curiosity, do you guys recommend the K-Lite Codecs?
    Last edited by pixeldroid; 11th Apr 2016 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I know what your problem is... There is a 64 bit Potplayer and a 32 bit Potplayer and they can even be installed together. The 64 bit Potplayer will not find or use AVIsynth. I recommend being sure all the programs are the x86 (32bit) version for better support. You are probably calling the 64 bit one from your line:

"C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer --> should be --> c:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\Potplayer

To that end the plugins for AVIsynth usually are found in the AVISynth folder located at C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.x because it is 32 bit not 64 bit.
    The plugins folder is located at (usually) C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins. This is where you install the plugins.

Codec Packs... K- Lite... I'm surprised you haven't had a lot of responses. Most experts agree that Codec Packs can be a problem. If you do not know what a codec is, I'd recommend care on installing a pack.

Personally I use K-Lite and it will not uninstall other programs if you do not check the boxes to install it's own. It uses a minimal amount of codecs, mostly the latest LAV codecs and installs K-lite as well. If you go into program list you should find where klite lists ffdshow. Again K-Lite gives a lot of options to configure a lot of areas and I would not mess with this unless you know what you are doing.

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Apr. 11 16.36.jpg
Views:	2019
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	36526
    Quote Quote  
  30. pixeldroid,
    Thinking about it...... because being an XP user I hadn't until now........

Around Win7 Microsoft decided they want you to use built in Windows codecs. Players such as Potplayer are free to use their internal decoders, but ask Potplayer to use a system codec and for some types it'll always use the Windows codec even if you have another codec installed and enabled. I suspect when you set ffdshow to decode MP42 video, even if you told Potplayer to use a DirectShow codec it'd use the Microsoft one, and not ffdshow, hence the frame number not being displayed by ffdshow's on-screen-display because ffdshow wasn't decoding.
    Would that be correct? The ffdshow icon wasn't appearing at all for mp42 video? If so, that'd be where the Preferred Filter Tweaker is required for Win7 or newer, so enabling any codec in ffdshow's configuration will work. K-Lite probably tweaked things for you when you installed it. If that was the problem, I've decided I should be forgiven for not thinking about it as I don't use Win7.
    http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm

You should still be able to add ffdshow to Potplayer as a filter and used ffdshow for any type of video it supports, but not always via the normal DirectShow method without the Filter Tweaker fixing Microsoft's changes.

I don't have a problem with K-Lite in theory. Installing it earlier might have allowed ffdshow to decode without relying on someone here realising what the problem was and explaining how to fix it. I'd imagine K-Lite uninstalls stuff to prevent possible conflicts. I don't know what options it offers when it installs or why it would decide to uninstall Avisynth, but there's several different K-Lite flavours and some include ffdshow.
    http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_contents_comparison.htm
    http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_ability_comparison.htm

For Windows built-in players to use some DirectShow codecs you might also have to disable Media Foundation if K-Lite hasn't done so as they'd use Media Foundation in preference to DirectShow, but that shouldn't be required for Potplayer or MPC-HC.

I'll confess I've never been a fan of displaying video thumbnails in Explorer. It's the sort of thing I generally can't disable fast enough, but it looks like K-Lite installs some sort of shell extension for increasing the level of thumbnail cleverness in Explorer.

Codec packs had a bad rap as many installed a whole bunch of individual codecs that could conflict with existing codecs and potentially create a mess. K-Lite's barely a codec pack in the traditional sense because the basic and standard versions install LAV Filters and as far as codecs go, that's about it.

Budman1's probably correct about Avisynth, as 32 bit and 64 bit don't mix well. I've decided to forgive myself for not thinking about that too. Did I mention I use XP?
    Get the colorbars() script working before you worry about third party plugins, although if ffdshow's on-sceen-display does the job I'd stick with that. Any reliable method of opening a video via Avisynth is going to require a script (probably a script specific to each video), and it'll probably have to be indexed, which means it'll be slow to open.

If you use ffms2 you can put the files anywhere if you load them in each script. If you want ffms2 to run automatically they need to go in Avisynth's plugins folder (the standard ffms2 version, not the C-Plugin version as it won't automatically run). All you need from the ffms2 zip file is FFMS2.avsi and ffms2.dll (from the x86 folder). http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FFmpegSource#Indexing_and_You

ShowFrameNumers is a built in Avisynth function. Avisynth can use ffms2 to index the video and decode (it has to use something for file types it doesn't natively support), but ShowFrameNumers can be added to any script. It's not related to ffms2.

If ffms2.dll is in Avisynth's plugins folder you can open a video (no audio in this case) by creating a simple script like this:
    FFVideoSource("E:\video.mkv")
    FFVideoSource is a function of ffms2. The first time you open a script like that ffms2 will automatically index the video, so the player may appear to be frozen until indexing is finished. ffms2 isn't required for adding stuff to Potplayer's internal Avisynth filter as Potplayer would be doing the decoding and inserting Avisynth to the processing chain.
    If ffdshow's on-screen-display works reliably, I think it'll be easier to use that, and adding it as a filter to Potplayer (or MPC-HC) should bypass any DirectShow obstacles so it won't suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th Apr 2016 at 03:19.
    Quote Quote