VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Everyone,

I have a Panasonic HC-V700M that creates 1080/60psf or 1080/60i video files in .mts

I need to shoot short segments of footage (a few minutes each) over a period of about an hour and then generate a Standard DVD from those sequences.

Q1. What is the best freeware program(s) to do the conversion and burn?

Q2. Should my original footage be shot in 60psf or 60i for easiest conversion?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD and DVDStyler are X to DVD converters that might be worth trying for this purpose. Burn with ImgBurn after testing playback of the the DVD files and folders on your computer with a software DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by NewTwoVideo View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Panasonic HC-V700M that creates 1080/60psf or 1080/60i video files in .mts

I need to shoot short segments of footage (a few minutes each) over a period of about an hour and then generate a Standard DVD from those sequences.

TIA
    If you are shooting for standard definition video only you will be better off using a high quality SD camcorder than a low quality HD camcorder. Under what lighting conditions are those shots made?

Another question is do you want widescreen or standard screen width.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by NewTwoVideo View Post
    60p if the software can handle it properly. And the camera produces decent 60p video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    60p should be OK. You'll have some work to do to get it down to DVD compliant interlaced video, but AVS2DVD and DVD Styler should handle most of it for you. DVD is 29.97fps interlaced. For PAL/NTSC: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. 60p because to do it properly, you'd need to go from 60i HD to 60p HD before resizing to SD anyway

try to keep shutter speed long enough, as much as it works, ..., with very short shutter speeds there will be flickering on DVD more apparent
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by NewTwoVideo View Post
    Should my original footage be shot in 60psf or 60i for easiest conversion?
    60p you can easily end up throwing away half the frames, 60i (AKA 59.95i, AKA 29/97i) you'll simply be resizing. I usually go with 60i.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No, you should throw away half the fields when you go from 60p to 30i. Resizing interlaced video sucks. So you want to start with 1920x1080p60, resize to 720x576p60, then select fields from those frames to make 30i. This way you keep the smooth motion without introducing the artifacts that come from resizing interlaced video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No, you should throw away half the fields when you go from 60p to 30i. Resizing interlaced video sucks. So you want to start with 1920x1080p60, resize to 720x576p60, then select fields from those frames to make 30i. This way you keep the smooth motion without introducing the artifacts that come from resizing interlaced video.
    Exactly!

Basically you cannot resize interlaced video.

Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    AVStoDVD and DVDStyler are X to DVD converters that might be worth trying for this purpose. Burn with ImgBurn after testing playback of the the DVD files and folders on your computer with a software DVD player.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Hi Everyone,

TIA
    If you are shooting for standard definition video only you will be better off using a high quality SD camcorder than a low quality HD camcorder. Under what lighting conditions are those shots made?

Another question is do you want widescreen or standard screen width.
    Unfortunately, there is not enough time to dust off the SD camcorder, find a blank tape, and try to remember how to use it. Also, importing the footage into my pc was awkward enough to get me to buy the HD flash memory camcorder years ago.

The lighting conditions will be just available light from nearby windows and thus dependent on the weather during the day.
    It is a one-shot event and I have to get it correct the first time.

Wide or standard is fine. No preference.
    Quote Quote  
  12. From: jagabo, LMotlow, _Al_, smrpix,

60p if the software can handle it properly. And the camera produces decent 60p video.

60p should be OK. You'll have some work to do to get it down to DVD compliant interlaced video, but AVS2DVD and DVD Styler should handle most of it for you. DVD is 29.97fps interlaced. For PAL/NTSC: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech

60p because to do it properly, you'd need to go from 60i HD to 60p HD before resizing to SD anyway

try to keep shutter speed long enough, as much as it works, ..., with very short shutter speeds there will be flickering on DVD more apparent

60p you can easily end up throwing away half the frames, 60i (AKA 59.95i, AKA 29/97i) you'll simply be resizing. I usually go with 60i.

No, you should throw away half the fields when you go from 60p to 30i. Resizing interlaced video sucks. So you want to start with 1920x1080p60, resize to 720x576p60, then select fields from those frames to make 30i. This way you keep the smooth motion without introducing the artifacts that come from resizing interlaced video.

Exactly!

I am getting the strong impression that I should use 60p.

jagabo, will AVStoDVD resize to 720x576p60, then select fields from those frames to make 30i as you described?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    The lighting conditions will be just available light from nearby windows and thus dependent on the weather during the day.
    It is a one-shot event and I have to get it correct the first time.
    Well then think of getting some extra light! ��

I must ask what is your plan B?

Live recording always requires a plan B!

In other words use at least two cameras!

Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by NewTwoVideo View Post
    I am getting the strong impression that I should use 60p.
    That's the theoretical case. You should absolutely test with your equipment and software to verify there's no problems.

will AVStoDVD resize to 720x576p60, then select fields from those frames to make 30i as you described?
    Avs2Dvd uses AviSynth but I don't know if it handles this automatically or if you can specify your own script. In any case the script would look like:

Code:
    # assuming a progressive 59.94 fps input

BicubicResize(720,480)
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()

# 720x480 29.97i DVD compatible output
    By the way, I accidentally typed 720x576 earlier but you want 720x480 for an NTSC DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Exactly!

You CAN, but you DON'T WANT TO, as at best you lose more quality through too-strong interpolation, and at worst you completely RUIN the rows.

IMO, to do 1080i30->480i30 correctly, you would (usually) have to deinterlace, then resize, and then field drop (via re-interlacing).
    In contrast, 1080p60->480i30 removes the 1st deinterlace (and it's loss of quality through interpolation). So it OUGHT to be better.

My guess is smrpix's method does a separate resize on each individual field (as if it was a 1/2 height progressive frame) and then resumes the assumption that those are fields. It is debatable whether that is the "correct" way or the "best case incorrect" way, but it probably greatly depends on the material.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    My guess is smrpix's method does a separate resize on each individual field (as if it was a 1/2 height progressive frame) and then resumes the assumption that those are fields.
    Yes. That appears to be the way it is working for me (I need to do more rigorous testing) the results have been quite satisfactory.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    My guess is smrpix's method does a separate resize on each individual field (as if it was a 1/2 height progressive frame) and then resumes the assumption that those are fields.
    Yes. That appears to be the way it is working for me (I need to do more rigorous testing) the results have been quite satisfactory.
    If your source isn't very sharp it looks ok. But with a sharp source sharp horizontal edges will show artifacts. A 1920x1080 source downscaled to 720x480:

SeparateFields().BicubicResize(720,240).Weave():
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fields.png
Views:	313
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	31652

BicubicResize(720,480):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	frames.png
Views:	229
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	31653