VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I've been trying to days to figure out the right type of software to turn a song into a video of sound waves that follow the song. I'm usually use sony vegas or sony movie studio for my videos but also have daz3ed, blender, corel, photoshop and a whole host of graphic software however this really has to stuck. I can't even find the right set of keywords to use to find a how to article or video. I found one video on how to with adobe after effect but I'd like to find something else to do this project with or possibly even a sony plugin.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
    Kimberly
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    One of the coolest tools for that is Sonic Visualiser.

You can add all kinds of plugins and on top of that the software is free!

http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    One of the coolest tools for that is Sonic Visualiser.

You can add all kinds of plugins and on top of that the software is free!

http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

Thank you, I'm download it now.

Do you know if this program will make a video? It looks like it's only sound editing. I looked at all the plugins.
    Last edited by Kimberly Hargis; 11th May 2015 at 09:29. Reason: add question
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some other keywords you may want to use are "audio reactive", or "audio visualization"

Did you have something specific already in mind? or at least a rough idea? Because there are 100's of different ways "sound waves" might look. Maybe you can point to some examples on youtube ?

How did you want it to "follow the song" - what did you mean exactly ? Did you mean adjust according to volume ? or frequency ? or something else ?

If a certain audio plugin doesn't "make video", one way to take the waveform or visualization is to use a screen capture program then import that video into your editor
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1 on pdr's suggestion of using the visualizations in WMP, etc players and screen recording.

Also, on a higher end, AfterEffects has a featureset that allows you to link & adjust various visual parameters based on audio waveform sources.

Harder to point you to exctly what you need unless we know further detail about your intention.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I have a managed wordpress hosting company. A client ask me if I could turn their song into video sounds wave. Like when you use to open a song in windows and a window showed a random design that moved to the music. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdVGAoHQ1yQ I'm going to search online for sound waves animation since that is what this video is called.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  

7. This video contains content from SME, we blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Regardless, I used a proxy to download it

This example contains 2 elements: a "VU meter" that is audio reactive to the beats, and abstract "waves" which are more commonly called "light streaks" in the background that more random, and are not reactive to the beats.

Did you mean the VU meter, or the random light streaks ? or both? or something else? There are 100's of different looks for this type of animation, you need to be more specific . "sound wave" is a very very generic description

Click image for larger version

Name:	vu,streaks.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	31627

Have a look at "winamp visualization plugins" , there are 100's of plugins and some examples on youtube. Different designs, patterns, genres, abstract, etc.... You could capture it and import it into your editor

If you want the simple VU meter (audio reactive), there are some variations in aviutl as well
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

This video contains content from SME, we blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Regardless, I used a proxy to download it

This example contains 2 elements: a "VU meter" that is audio reactive to the beats, and abstract "waves" which are more commonly called "light streaks" in the background that more random, and are not reactive to the beats.

Did you mean the VU meter, or the random light streaks ? or both? or something else? There are 100's of different looks for this type of animation, you need to be more specific . "sound wave" is a very very generic description

[Attachment 31627 - Click to enlarge]

Have a look at "winamp visualization plugins" , there are 100's of plugins and some examples on youtube. Different designs, patterns, genres, abstract, etc.... You could capture it and import it into your editor

If you want the simple VU meter (audio reactive), there are some variations in aviutl as well
    I was more looking for abstract waves or random light streaks. This is all new to me so I need to learn more about it. Usually when I do animation I use something like daz3d or poser. I will check out the links you gave me. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Winamp is a step in the right direction. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. You might find something that you like as a winamp plugin, or come across something that you might even like better - but if you wanted it EXACTLY like the streaks your example video, I'm 99.9% certain those streaks were done with After Effects with the particle engine Trapcode Particular (3rd party plugin) . Those types of light streaks are usually done with a particle engine. And that VU meter is a default AE plugin
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BluffTitler is worth a look. Version 11 introduced music (audio) visualisation, and there is a free show that demonstrates light streaks:

http://www.outerspace-software.com/gallery/view?i=2837

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  12. This type of animation is typically done with particle engines beause you have control over birth/ death rates, emission, gravity, etc... hundreds of other parameters - it's completely customizable . The sky is the limit - in fact it's often too confusing that there are so many parameters you can use. There is a substantial learning curve, but there are dozens of tutorials on sites like youtube/vimeo .

Blufftitler is going to be much easier to use than having to learn AE basics, and use a particle engine . But the "easiest" way is probably find some already built visualization plugin in programs such as winamp or some other media/audio visualization program, and just screencap that

Here is a quick example (no audio) from an old trapcode project about 6-7 years ago. But you can see the style is very similar. Ther are ways to make it audio reactive
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mp4 1.mp4 (3.01 MB, 48 views)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. Great forum.

Now that I understand the best keyword to search with is visualization I'm starting to get some place with tutors and articles. I have download Winamp as well as found several plugins. Today I plan to look more at BluffTitler, since I do work with 3D models, it might be the best want to go and the price is very reasonable.
    Quote Quote