VideoHelp Forum

Try DVD Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. megui is very good - may be the best - at cropping right n left borders or black bars of any video

but when crop from top or bottom sides , it
    - mostly - doesnt produce a full screen 4: 3 video at last coz it makes new black borders ,, the same or worse happens with removing taps at bottom of clip eg . commercial or ad tap .

is this happens bec. of Vga or the monitor or ....???!!

the pc that i encode my videos at :

win. xp . 32 sp3 \ hp desktop \ lga processor 2.8 Ghz. \ 1 gb ram \ vga built in
    my monitor crt white .. samsung syncmaster 753s

n if there is no hardware proplem , what is the best settings 2 crop the mentioned bars as i said ?
    is there any app. instead of or better than megui at doing this
    ?
    no time 4 trying , i want guaranteed answers plz.

n thx 4 help
    Last edited by sam samy; 9th May 2015 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Don't understand what you mean by "full screen 4:3". Apparently your video source is a 16:9 wide-screen image inside a 4:3 letterboxed standard-definition format. If you crop away the letterbox border, you will have to resize the image to 16:9 format if that what's you want for playback. What output format are you trying to get? DVD? PC display? some kind of h264 widescreen output format?

We need more information.

BTW, those hot red bold characters are rude and annoying in most forums. Many will ignore your post for that reason.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    What output format are you trying to get? DVD? PC display? some kind of h264 widescreen output format?

We need more information..
    PC display 4 :3 , without any black bars from any side , thats what i try 2 get

on't understand what you mean by "full screen 4:3". Apparently your video source is a 16:9 wide-screen image inside a 4:3 letterboxed standard-definition format. If you crop away the letterbox border, you will have to resize the image to 16:9 format if that what's you want for playback.
    my source is not 16:9 ,, its a 4:3 ts format recorded from satellite

BTW, those hot red bold characters are rude and annoying in most forums. Many will ignore your post for that reason.
    sorry , i didnt know it , but if they think so they r doing a mistake coz the reason of this formatting is obvious = no rude reason or something

the principle of those ppl like someone who didnt help some ppl fell down in a big hole coz they r shouting 4 help , oh they r annoying !!!! hhhhh
    Last edited by sam samy; 9th May 2015 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sam samy View Post
    PC display 4 :3 , without any black bars from any side, thats what i try 2 get
    Are you sure the black bars are in the video and not added by the player? Maybe a small video sample would help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by sam samy View Post
    PC display 4 :3 , without any black bars from any side, thats what i try 2 get
    Are you sure the black bars are in the video and not added by the player? Maybe a small video sample would help.
    ya , am sure . the borders r displayed with 3 players
    i dont encode it before crop it by megui using directshowsource n script creator
    i may upload a sample , n thx 4 re me
    Last edited by sam samy; 9th May 2015 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ----------
    Last edited by sam samy; 9th May 2015 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Maybe a small video sample would help.
    i couldnt upload it unless via youtube = the proplem is most obvious here :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZMk7I7ElvM&feature=youtu.be

i think they encode the original uploaded vid. .. this is a source Ts clip :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_WuE4Ry84&feature=youtu.be

edit

a sample of the cropped or encoded one , n many times the proplem is much worse than what u will see in this sample = its 1 of the best results , i think :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdkE9lLtJVM&feature=youtu.be
    Last edited by sam samy; 9th May 2015 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You're referring to the black line half way across the top, aren't you? And not the black on left and right sides? If so, that is common with analog and tape sources and surely MeGUI has a way to manually crop it away. In fact, on this page of a guide it shows how in the AviSynth Script Creator you can adjust the crop quite easily:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MeGUI_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page4.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You're referring to the black line half way across the top, aren't you? And not the black on left and right sides? If so, that is common with analog and tape sources and surely MeGUI has a way to manually crop it away. In fact, on this page of a guide it shows how in the AviSynth Script Creator you can adjust the crop quite easily:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MeGUI_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page4.html
    thnx , but i know how 2 do it , i need 2 know how 2 do it in a right way
    i will see the link n then tell u if it works , thank u again .

edit
    i reviewed it , all what i understand it advices 2 use autocrop
    i dont think so, auto crop is never perfect
    Last edited by sam samy; 9th May 2015 at 17:48.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sam samy View Post
    The right way? Sorry but I don't understand that. What 'right way' don't you understand? How to crop the additional 2 pixels or how to resize after the crop?
    Look, I don't and won't use MeGUI. I was checking if it has a way to do a manual crop. And it does. If the AutoCrop doesn't do what you want, then how hard can it be to crop it manually? Just crop the same as the AutoCrop plus two more from the top, or do the entire crop manually.

Maybe hello_hello or someone that actually uses MeGUI will discover this thread and set you straight.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sam samy View Post
    edit
    No it's not, but that's nothing unique to MeGUI. If auto-crop is made too aggressive, it can start cropping away picture. If you want to crop "perfectly" you generally need to adjust the cropping manually a little bit after applying auto-crop.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    The right way? Sorry but I don't understand that. What 'right way' don't you understand? How to crop the additional 2 pixels or how to resize after the crop?
    its obvious , i mean the result is bad or not good enough , so i need the right method or tutorial or way generally that makes the seeked result
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Look, I don't and won't use MeGUI. I was checking if it has a way to do a manual crop. And it does. If the AutoCrop doesn't do what you want, then how hard can it be to crop it manually? Just crop the same as the AutoCrop plus two more from the top, or do the entire crop manually.

Maybe hello_hello or someone that actually uses MeGUI will discover this thread and set you straight.
    the proplem - as i said - before - that the manual crop from top of clips fails many times by many ways , so how it ll solve it
    Look, I don't and won't use MeGUI.
    so what u use instead of megui , is there any app suits my machine - its features mentioned above - n can be more perfect or can do a better crop result than megui
    Last edited by sam samy; 10th May 2015 at 13:12.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    edit
    No it's not, but that's nothing unique to MeGUI. If auto-crop is made too aggressive, it can start cropping away picture. If you want to crop "perfectly" you generally need to adjust the cropping manually a little bit after applying auto-crop.
    i ll try this , thx , but the proplem is that manual crop from top of clips fails many times by many other ways
    , so i dont know how this ll help
    Last edited by sam samy; 10th May 2015 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    edit
    No it's not, but that's nothing unique to MeGUI.
    If auto-crop is made too aggressive, it can start cropping away picture.

If you want to crop "perfectly" you generally need to adjust the cropping manually a little bit after applying auto-crop.
    i did this a few minutes ago then it failed
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by sam samy View Post
    What does that mean? It didn't crop away what you wanted? Sometimes the crop changes in different parts of the video. Then you might have problems. Is that's what's going on? If not then I think you had better find another hobby.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What does that mean? It didn't crop away what you wanted? Sometimes the crop changes in different parts of the video. Then you might have problems. Is that's what's going on? If not then I think you had better find another hobby.
    it failed in cropping the whole clip from top = not failed in only some parts
    its not just a hobby 4 me , no body till now tell me about failure reason

i feel like the secret is in the resize n resolution mode , i tried mod 16 n 8 but no use , must there s some settings 4 them
    Last edited by sam samy; 10th May 2015 at 17:00.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't understand how manual cropping can fail. If you open a video with the script creator to create a script and use AutoCrop, you'll go from something like this:
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  25.9 KB

to something like this:
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  25.9 KB

From there if you want to adjust it you use the Script Creator's cropping section to do so and that's what it'll crop. The auto-cropping left a little black at the top in the above case and so it needs to be increased manually.

Cropping can't fail in some parts as the same cropping is applied from start to finish. If the amount of black that needs to be cropped changes then parts of the video will not be completely cropped, or a little of the picture will be cropped in places, depending on how you set the cropping.

Some video has changing aspect ratios throughout. Movies with sections shot using imax cameras are typical of that where much of the movie is widescreen (ie somthing like a 2.40:1 aspect ratio) while some of it is fullscreen (16:9 aspect ratio). The widescreen parts will have black bars top and bottom while the fullscreen parts won't. If you crop the black bars you crop a large portion of the picture during the fullscreen sections so good autocropping wouldn't crop the black bars for the 2.40:1 sections. That'd be left as your choice. Hopefully that makes sense because other than that I don't understand what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  18. yes black bars at the top many times became bigger - at resulted video - than original bar too , or at least it remains , even if i adjust the crop carefully .
    the same or worse happens with removing taps at bottom of clip eg . commercial or ad tap ,huge black bar is added in the result video .

instead of all these discussions why dont we talk about right settings , ex. use mod 8 instead of mod 16 ... etc.

see this sample , sometimes the result is worse than this

Last edited by sam samy; 10th May 2015 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by sam samy View Post
    instead of all these discussions why dont we talk about right settings , ex. use mod 8 instead of mod 16 ... etc.
    Nonsense. The resize afterwards doesn't add back the black that was already cropped away. To make it clearer, Mod8 or Mod16 has nothing to do with your problem.
    see this sample , sometimes the result is worse than this
    You posted that same one earlier. How about one you've done after cropping manually to remove the remaining black?
    Quote Quote  
  20. There's nothing unusual about your YouTube video. It has a half line of black top and bottom that AutoCrop will rarely get rid of because half of it is picture, so you'll need to adjust the cropping manually to remove those.

If you're referring to the black bars down the sides because you're viewing a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen, that's perfectly normal because you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. ie the shape of the video and the shape of the screen don't match so the video player adds black bars down each side to fill in the rest.

Here's a 4:3 video on a 4:3 monitor:
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  14.3 KB

Here's the 4:3 video running full screen on a 4:3 monitor:
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  20.2 KB

Here's the 4:3 video on a 16:9 monitor:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	31638

Here's the 4:3 video running full screen on a 16:9 monitor:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	31639

YouTube adds the black bars when you upload 4:3 video because it's re-encoded as 16:9.
    If you're still talking abut something else I don't know what it might be, but the only way to make a 4:3 picture fill a 16:9 screen is to either stretch it until it's 16:9, which looks terrible, or crop enough of the picture away top and bottom until what remains is 16:9, but that's generally not a good thing to do unless you're very careful because it crops away so much picture.

If the problem is something else you'll need to explain it in more detail because I don't understand what it is.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    YouTube adds the black bars when you upload 4:3 video because it's re-encoded as 16:9.
    Am I understanding you correctly - you're saying the added black bars are a part of the YouTube video? If so, that's not correct - the player adds the black bars unless the uploader encoded black bars into the video himself. That is, if you upload a 640x480 video to YouTube, they keep it as 640x480 when reencoding and the YouTube player adds black to the left and right sides to keep the aspect ratio. You can confirm this either by downloading a 1.33:1 YouTube video and checking the resolution or by playing it on YouTube and right-clicking the video and hitting 'Stats For Nerds'. Among the information given will be the encoded resolution of the video you're watching.

Some people will add the black bars themselves, but most upload the 1.33:1 video. That's what I do, although I have uploaded 2.35:1 videos to which I added black above and below to make them 1.78:1.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Am I understanding you correctly - you're saying the added black bars are a part of the YouTube video? If so, that's not correct - the player adds the black bars unless the uploader encoded black bars into the video himself. That is, if you upload a 640x480 video to YouTube, they keep it as 640x480 when reencoding and the YouTube player adds black to the left and right sides to keep the aspect ratio. You can confirm this either by downloading a 1.33:1 YouTube video and checking the resolution or by playing it on YouTube and right-clicking the video and hitting 'Stats For Nerds'. Among the information given will be the encoded resolution of the video you're watching.
    Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression all YouTube video is encoded with a 16:9 aspect ratio these days, but if you're saying it's just like playing a 4:3 video on a 16:9 screen and the player is adding the black bars on playback, I believe you.

Either way though, if the side black bars are the problem on a 16:9 screen I guess they're unavoidable unless sam samy has another problem I'm completely failing to understand.

Edit: I downloaded the video from YouTube and opened it and of course you're correct, it's simply 4:3. It looks like this after it's downloaded, so unless the issue is the small line of black top and bottom, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe sam samy is confused as to where the black bars are coming from. I guess I was.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  12.3 KB

And doh! When running the YouTube video full screen on a 4:3 monitor in the browser the side black bars disappear so it's obviously 4:3 video. It never occurred to me to try that.......

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  17.8 KB
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th May 2015 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    It looks like the OP is still trying to cope with the concept of video shape v.s. container.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368131-best-free-or-something-app-4-cropping-video-...63#post2354063

Quote Quote