VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very new....before I would purchase a bluray and then download a 720p copy, but my bluray collection has grown and my bandwidth has shrunk from my ISP. So I can decrypt the bluray movie to a folder. I want to take that bluray movie and make a 720p and 480p. The 720p must have DTS and the 480p must have AC3-5.1 448bits.

I want good quality and 480p around 2 gigs in size and 720p around 5gigs in size.

There is a lot of information, and I don't know were to start....

I've downloaded vid coder and it looks interesting, but I don't know how to change the 1920x1080 to 720p or 480p...all aspect ratio stuff..

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Which container format are you going to use? Do you want MKV or MP4 files? That is the first decision to make when using VidCoder.

Start with the High Profile preset in VidCoder for your 720p copy. Then click on Settings to adjust output. You'll see where you can select MP4 or MKV (Matroska) format, and you'll also see in the Picture tab where you can adjust the resolution. For the 720p output, you select 1280 width and keep the check mark in Keep Aspect Ratio. Set Anamorphic to None and Cropping to None. This will give you 1280 x 720 video (720p) if that is absolutely what you want.

Next move to the Video tab and put a mark next to the Constant Framerate setting. Since you want a specific size for this copy, put a mark next to Target Size, and set the output size to 5000MB. You can also choose to do a 2 pass encode here (something I would recommend unless you are really in a hurry). Since you are using a Blu-ray source, you might want to go to the Tune line and select Film.

Go to the Audio tab next. The only way you'll get DTS audio is if the original Blu-ray already has this format and you select Passthrough under Codec. Its going to take an enormous amount of your designated space however, and I'd suggest you rethink using it. If you absolutely have to have DTS audio, reconsider your output size and increase the Target Size back in the Video tab to 8000MB. Or switch to Constant Quality instead of having a target size, and keep the quality setting on 20. Output size will be unpredictable when using Constant Quality setting, but it will insure good visual quality while allowing you to retain the audio you want. Personally, this last option is the one I would choose when keeping the original audio.

480p is just a variation of these instructions, and you should be able to adjust everything as you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks... I will give it a try.... what about movies that has difference aspect ratios... like 1.666:1, 1.839:1, etc.

I know that 1920x1080 is 1.777:1 and if I want this to 720p I would 1.777:1 =1280x720... ???
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the source Blu-Ray had black bars on the sides or above/below, so will your 720p reencode of it. The aspect ratio remains the same.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see that some movies I watch have different resolutions 480p = 720x304, 720x400, 720x384, 712x400, 720x302 (these are the ones I found for example).....

here are some 720p = 1280x528, 1280x536, 1280x720, 1280x544, 1280x688, 1280x696, 1280x534 (these are the ones I found for example)....

How do you know what resolution for what movie from 1080p source??

Also what about forced english subs on some movies like Lone Survivor, Jupiter Ascending, etc?
    Last edited by slee02; 6th May 2015 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Once you import your source video, you will be able to adjust settings for subtitles, including the setting for forced subtitles.

The different resolutions you mention are almost certainly made by people who use the automatic crop function in their encoding program. I gave you instructions to keep the exact 720p resolution. You can also use the auto crop setting if these resolutions will work in your equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about ripping from 1080p source and then making .mp4 or xvid .avi with AC3-5.1 448bits audio???? Possible?

480p result...not 720p...
    Quote Quote