VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

As many other I have a pallet of old Hi8 cassettes. In my case they are recorded with a Sony CCD-V6000E camcorder. This model saved the Sony RCTC timecode onto the tapes on a separate track. I started copying my Hi8 tapes from a Digital8 camera into iMovie, and it went fine, except that I don't get the timecode copied over (only the dates are interesting to me).

Does it exist some equipment or Hi8 player models that can get the RCTC Hi8 data over to digital while preserving or recreating timecode (with original dates)?

Thanks a lot for comments on this.

best regards

Tor
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your odds of getting this to work are slim.

1. You need a deck or camera capable of outputting RCTC.
    2. You need software and/or hardware capable of reading and interpreting RCTC
    3. You need an NLE capable of using TC -- iMovie doesn't.

For Mac, Premiere Pro, FCPX and Avid Media Composer can all handle SMPTE timecode, but you need to have it translated from Sony's proprietary RCTC.

Quick search turned up this:
    http://www.octochron.com/faqProduct.htm
    Last edited by smrpix; 6th May 2015 at 09:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bushtor View Post
    Hi,

As many other I have a pallet of old Hi8 cassettes. In my case they are recorded with a Sony CCD-V6000E camcorder. This model saved the Sony RCTC timecode onto the tapes on a separate track. I started copying my Hi8 tapes from a Digital8 camera into iMovie, and it went fine, except that I don't get the timecode copied over (only the dates are interesting to me).

Does it exist some equipment or Hi8 player models that can get the RCTC Hi8 data over to digital while preserving or recreating timecode (with original dates)?

Thanks a lot for comments on this.

best regards

Tor
    The question is what do you need it for?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Primarily to know which month/year the clips were shot....

regards Tor
    Quote Quote