VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got some 10bit recordings and I need to convert them to 8bit. I'm familiar with Avisynth but I don't know how to do that. Does anybody know how please and can you provide a scipt to do the job. Thanks

I can use x264 encoder but the resulting picture looks weird like it's brighter than before.
    Last edited by MrBiggles; 6th May 2015 at 03:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just avisynth can't convert. Use any converter like vidcoder or command line software like ffmpeg, x264 encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I know but I still need the correct script to do the downsample.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Please, again with more details...

You "got some 10bit recordings" ... means, they have been encoded with x264 in Main10 or High10 profile, which your consumer player (model?) doesn't support? Or what exactly? MediaInfo analysis?

And they have to be encoded with x264 in (8 bit) Main or High profile to make them compatible with consumer players?

So, well, the basic solution simple: Just recode with any AviSynth or ffmpeg based converter; if both 8 and 10 bit of x264 are supported, select x264 with 8 bit as encoder. To avoid too much loss of quality, do not attempt to compress to the same bitrate, rather expect to need more.

But "the resulting picture looks weird like it's brighter than before" is a different issue. It may be related to colorimetry parameters (e.g. Rec601 vs. Rec709, TV/PC range, etc.).
    Quote Quote