VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

This was expected news, but not good news for some of us using Windows Media Center. Although there is other polished Media Center software available for most people who use HTPCs, many of those who use a CableCARD tuner are dependent upon Windows Media Center to be able to watch and record copy-once protected channels. They will need to stick with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and pass on upgrading to Windows 10 for the time being.

SiliconDust has a Kickstarter campaign to acquire funding for developing an alternative to Windows Media Center that will allow recording protected content. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the XBox One may be Microsoft's designated replacement for the HTPC: http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8559043/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-rumor
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sad news, so I am stuck with Windows 7 until Microsoft stops supplying guide data. Media Center on Windows 8 requires a retail Pro license plus a $10 add-on. Glad to see the SiliconDust Kickstarter is funded and might work on Kodi for copy-freely channels. Nice that Xbox One might get a DVR feature, but I'm not a gamer and don't have an Xbox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Something else from Microsoft comes and goes without me ever coming in contact with it.....still on XP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Something else from Microsoft comes and goes without me ever coming in contact with it.....still on XP.
    It was available for XP. Windows Media Center started with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. There was an update that allowed XP's Media Center to work with over-the-air digital tuners, but not CableCARD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V1de0Luvr View Post
    Sad news, so I am stuck with Windows 7 until Microsoft stops supplying guide data. Media Center on Windows 8 requires a retail Pro license plus a $10 add-on. Glad to see the SiliconDust Kickstarter is funded and might work on Kodi for copy-freely channels. Nice that Xbox One might get a DVR feature, but I'm not a gamer and don't have an Xbox.
    You can use NextPVR or a SiliconDust App with Kodi now for copy-freely channels on a Windows PC, although maybe only NextPVR works for recording. The Kickstarter project is intended to support recording copy-once channels as well as copy-freely on a Windows PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th May 2015 at 14:53. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote