VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used a combo VHS/DVD recorder (a Philips DVDR3320V) to capture 50 VHS-C family videos on DVD. I understand they are already encoded in mpeg-2.
    Will I loose quality during editing? I only want to cut out the bad parts.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you use a "smart rendering" editor like TMPGenc MPEG smart Renderer or VIdeoReDo you will only have minor (basically unnoticeable) loss within up to a half-second of each edit. The rest will be passed through untouched.

Other tools like AviDemux can do it as well, but you are restricted to editing on keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you know if Adobe premiere CS6 is able to do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doesn't Adobe decompress MPEG2 material as soon as you import it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Surfdude1982 View Post
    Do you know if Adobe premiere CS6 is able to do this?
    Not for DVD mpeg -- only XDCam mpeg, DV and DVCPro.

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/10/11/smart-rendering-in-premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-1-and-later/
    Last edited by smrpix; 3rd May 2015 at 06:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Doesn't Adobe decompress MPEG2 material as soon as you import it?
    I don't believe so, at least not on PC. That sounds like an FCP/Apple trick.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used VideoReDo to cut out some fragments. I'm really happy with the result. I seems like (almost) no quality is lost during the process.
    However, I don 't know in which format I should save to benefit from the smart rendering (cfr list below).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Save as.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	31529

I tried MPEG-2 program stream (*.mpeg) and H.264 MP4 (*.MP4). Apparently both give the same output quality.
    Which is the best "future proof" format?

I burned both files on a DVD but was not able to play them on my DVD player that supports Divx.

Thx for your advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Surfdude1982 View Post
    I don 't know in which format I should save to benefit from the smart rendering (cfr list below).
    I burned both files on a DVD but was not able to play them on my DVD player that supports Divx.
    MPEG PS - Program Stream....the one highlighted.
    Almost everything else outside of the MPEG(2) family will be re-encoded thus losing your entire reasoning....editing with no quality loss.
    DVD is MPEG2. It can be nothing else(OK maybe MPEG1). If you want your end result to be DVD....DVD/MPEG2 is the only output you need to worry about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, the concept of smart-rendering is based on the intention of not re-encoding (or minimal, with those few exceptions being of the same format as the source).

Scott
    Quote Quote