VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys

Newbie here.

How do I play back files from a NAS on an Android phone/Tablet?

INFORMATION
    I have some home movie mp4 type files which are stored on my ReadyNas NV+ (They are stored in a NAS share called MEDIA/VIDEO)
    We can play the files easily on the home network using our PC's and VLC for Windows
    It is also easy to play them back using an iPad, again using VLC

The cruncher : One of our family has now an Android phone and tablet and wants to play back one of our home movies on it. They put VLC on the phone but nobody can figure out how to get the right settings in Android VLC. It seems the layouts are completely different in PC, Apple and Android. I have absolutely no knowledge of Android phones/Tablets and this means Ihave been stumbling around.
    I can't even see 'the equivalent of Windows File Manager'

QUESTION
    Can someone please help by giving me a check list of what to press, set, configure etc.. on either her tablet or Android phone? It would really assist!

Maybe the problem is that the Android can't find the NAS files without being configured correctly. But I don't know how to do that on the Android.......

Sorry to be so thick... I just need 'getting off the ground'

Thanks in advance anyone

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome Goodgrief

Wiki link > under preferences add shared media directory but do the following first.

guide to install a free file browser

Of course this depends on how the nas is accessed.

The guide listed above is used to access files via windows shares ... if and once you can see them here ... then setup vlc preference as mentioned at top to add shared media folder ... it'll add them to vlc's media library ... the go from there.

Thou its better if all access the nas over wireless so no windows system is relied upon to be running to provide the shared media.

3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not multipost the same question,this thread is closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.