VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know where the problem here is, but I'm quickly being driven nuts here.

I have an Ilo DVD recorder I bought about 10 years ago. About 5 years ago I replaced the DVD burner because it was wearing out and producing coasters more and more often, and the hard drive because I wanted more disc space.

I used it for a few months, then in some moves it got stuck away in a garage for about four years.

I recently got back to trying to transfer over my old VCR collection over to DVD, mostly for posting to youtube. I'd capture a video tape with the machine, burn it to a disc, and throw it into the computer to rip it to mp4 files using VidCoder, and had no problems. But I also want to make copies of the DVDs for a couple of friends, so tonight I tried to make iso images for eventually burning more discs from, and every one of them starts saying there are tons of sector errors in the last 5% of the disc.

Yet VidCoder had no problems with them.

I don't know what kind of problem this is. Is the burner in the Ilo going bad again? Does it write in some sort of odd format that makes the built in Windows iso creator think sectors are bad? Anyone have any good theories on what this problem likely is?

Have there yet become very inexpensive and very easy to use ways to capture from a video tape without needing the admittedly quite clunky Ilo recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What are you making the iso with? Imgburn?

(And ripping=Removing decryption from commercial dvds/blurays/etc. You are converting to mp4... )
    Quote Quote  
  3. ImgBurn didn't want to do it, so I am just using whatever comes with Windows that will do it from the contextual menu.

But I just downloaded BurnAware and am trying to make an iso with it. About 15 minutes I'll find out if it starts having problems at the same place.

[edit]And ran into the same problem with BurnAware ... when it got to the last 200-250 mb it just couldn't go any further.

But what I don't get is that VidCoder doesn't run into any problems. Sigh.[/edit]
    Last edited by Batchman; 2nd May 2015 at 03:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you copy the video_ts folder to the hdd without problems? Then burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Trying that way now. Doesn't seem to have any problem copying the folders to the computer. This just gets more confusing by the minute.

[edit]Come to think of it, each disc is having problems near the end, but at a different place. I wonder if whatever Ilo does to 'finish' the disc to make it DVD player compatible, none of these other systems like?[/edit]
    Last edited by Batchman; 2nd May 2015 at 04:14.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Set your DVD decrypting/copying software to ignore errors and set the retry count as low as possible (0 if possible). If you get error messages select "ignore". It will still take a while but you will eventually have an ISO image or VIDEO_TS folder.

By the way, read errors at the last ~5 percent of the disc is usually caused by using crap media. Use only Verbatim Datalife(Plus) AZO or Taiyo Yuden DVDs and you probably won't have that problem.

Another thing to try: extract the MPEG 2 data in IFO mode. Then author a new DVD from that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd May 2015 at 09:18.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am using the best media I can find ... every time I need to order more DVDs I go to a web site that tries to keep track of the best media, and use their link to the current Amazon links for what are supposed to be among the best DVDs ... and they are always Verbatim AZOs. Slightly more expensive than some of the other brands, but I want the quality. Because of where the problems crop up (always at the end of the disc), I am beginning to wonder if whatever the Ilo does to finalize the disc might be something they don't like ... but it says if you don't finalize the disc, some DVD players won't read it.
    Quote Quote