VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. PGC Demux is a tool that I have on system. But I'm having difficulty using it.

The goal is to demux the audio as AC3 from a DVD or the MKV encode I have already made of the content.

I am now using Handbrake as the ripper/encoder and many things I learned about demuxing audio and
    remuxing a refined audio version may not apply.

The previous process did the following:

AC3 converted to WAV using the Goldwave audio editor.

WAV file processed by a free program called The Levelator (which fixes audio so that voice
    is not covered or drowned out throughout the stream.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20130729204551id_/http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

WAV to AC3 replaced with the modified audio file.

I was able to do this after much tutoring at Videohelp using AVI made with AutoGK.

I am starting over using Handbrake as the ripper and whatever new tools needed
    for mp4/mkv.

If there is a better suggestion to demux and do the processes needed, I'll appreciate the
    advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

The goal is to demux the audio as AC3 from a DVD or the MKV encode I have already made of the content.
    You can forget about using PGCDemux to get the audio from an MKV as it accepts only IFO input. To demux an MKV you can use MKVExtract.

Other than that I suppose most of the processes are similar, except Levalator probably isn't the best for what you're using it for. Even they say it's not really meant to be used to make high-quality audio all the same volume. It's mostly for voices alone, like for podcasts and the like. I demux the audio, convert it to WAV audio using BeSweet, work on it in Audacity, and then convert it back to AC3 before muxing/authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not sure I follow you, what is your issue with PGCdemux? If all you want is demuxed audio streams from a DVD, you only need to check the "demux all audio streams" box and "create log file" box. Make sure you set the PGC selection to Titles and select the correct PGC in the drop down box. I guess I should update my copy; there used to be a "check A/V delay" button, hopefully that info is shown somewhere else. Anyway, if you're used to demux with DGindex nothing keeps you from using it. But this is only good to demux DVD's, if you want to do AVI's or MKV's you need another program. You can demux with Vdub and with the right pluggin's you can work with all 3 formats.

From what I gather others are doing here, VidCoder seems to be the preferred tool to generate MKV's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just try audacity. While it's strictly an audio editor/encoder it will open a video file and yank the audio stream from it. I've done this quite a few times.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have Audacity on here usually for line in capture.

When AGK makes it's temp folder, what does that use to get out the audio tracks?

Anyway we are underway with this. I have some problems reading guides and usually prefer to build a method of work by asking things.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I see, this is how you got your audio before; AGK uses DGindex to demux. If Audacity can get the audio from VOB's, AVI's and MKV's, then it's definitely the tool for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. One thing I want to clarify before starting.

I know that Handbrake will work directly from the disk. Is extracting the audio direct from
    disk at all better or to save steps?

I think on this job I will definitely use the mkv container because it will give me selectable subtitles in playback on VLC.

Where then is a good starting point? For this test I have the original disc and an mkv in hand with the subtitles as part of the encode.

If Audacity is used, can it be set up for normalization as in AGK's chain of programs?

I realize you may think my audio winds up being 'stepped on' but for voice of live drama
    that is the goal-- flat and voice the main feature. Filtering I do not know much about, but
    the main sound bursts in the content come from tympani and 'military drum' which is tom-tom size to indicate war craft and so on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you, what is your issue with PGCdemux? If all you want is demuxed audio streams from a DVD, you only need to check the "demux all audio streams" box and "create log file" box. Make sure you set the PGC selection to Titles and select the correct PGC in the drop down box. I guess I should update my copy; there used to be a "check A/V delay" button, hopefully that info is shown somewhere else. Anyway, if you're used to demux with DGindex nothing keeps you from using it. But this is only good to demux DVD's, if you want to do AVI's or MKV's you need another program. You can demux with Vdub and with the right pluggin's you can work with all 3 formats.

From what I gather others are doing here, VidCoder seems to be the preferred tool to generate MKV's.

I have Vidcoder and the layout is nicely done for lower screen resolutions. It is directly
    made from the Handbrake code and any changes in Vc come from Handbrake updates. I will look at both to see if I can locate how to demux in Handbrake/Vidcoder and see what happens.

From looking at the mkvs made thus far, it should extract AC3 audio or AAC, not sure which.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I do not see where the option in Handbrake is to extract audio.
    I could see the log file easily enough.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I know that Handbrake will work directly from the disk. Is extracting the audio direct from disk at all better or to save steps?
    Unless you're running AnyDVD or your source is not copy protected you're not going to be able to work direct from disk. I wouldn't say working from the disc is any better or saves time. A DVD ripped to the hard drive will have faster access time and transfer rate than from the disc and there's no difference in the data itself.

I haven't played much with Handbrake and I wasn't aware it could demux, but if the function is available my guess is it's under the tools menu.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Starting with the mkv then and not the disk. You are right on HD working faster. I was wondering if an SSD would speed up an encode but in that discussion users said the SSD was no advantage.

With the mkv in hand which contains the needed subtitles and made in Handbrake/vidcoder,
    proceed to The Audacity routine to extract audio. ( I've no clue where the secrets of Handbrake lie to do this audio extract so clarify that if you can.)

Some step by step would be helpful and I'll review the options in Audacity which I'll guess
    involves a file 'import.'

But answer this now: once extracted, which tool remuxes my audio when the new track is made?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Just try audacity. While it's strictly an audio editor/encoder it will open a video file and yank the audio stream from it. I've done this quite a few times.

Please give the specifics on this.

Today I got a fresh Audacity and used Import on an mp4 media file of video with audio.
    After about 4 minutes of processing, the Audacity wrote something to the window but no time is given and no playback, plus none of the usual waveform of audio is indicated at all.

I then tried an export to WAV but don't have any confidence that the audio will be found.
    Playback of the wav generated was just static.

I'd appreciate some step by step way to do this or a different job specific program to demux if not PGC.

In the meantime I'll look at BeSweet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BeSweet is great but a confusing waste of time. If Audacity or GoldWave cannot open that file, there is something abnormal about the audio.
    WinFF is also one of my favorites. It definitely has Audio ONLY output.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    BeSweet is great but a confusing waste of time.
    How can it be both? If it's as 'confusing' as you claim, it wouldn't be great, I don't think. I've been using it for maybe 15 years and have found it easy and good for what I use it for (usually creating WAV files from AC3 sources and slowing them to film speed). Once you've pointed to the needed EXE files, it works fine. Anyway, if it's too difficult for you (and/or others), maybe try AoA Audio Extractor (the free version). Open an MP4, MKV, AVI, MPG, etc., tell it to extract to Stereo 48000 WAV and let 'er rip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    BeSweet is great but a confusing waste of time.
    How can it be both? If it's as 'confusing' as you claim, it wouldn't be great, I don't think. I've been using it for maybe 15 years and have found it easy and good for what I use it for (usually creating WAV files from AC3 sources and slowing them to film speed). Once you've pointed to the needed EXE files, it works fine. Anyway, if it's too difficult for you (and/or others), maybe try AoA Audio Extractor (the free version). Open an MP4, MKV, AVI, MPG, etc., tell it to extract to Stereo 48000 WAV and let 'er rip.
    I only use it(BeSweet) for 5.1 to 6 Waves. There are much easier ways to do what the OP wants to do.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    BeSweet is great but a confusing waste of time. If Audacity or GoldWave cannot open that file, there is something abnormal about the audio.
    WinFF is also one of my favorites. It definitely has Audio ONLY output.

BeSweet I consider an antique program that continues to referenced from memory. No I haven't tried to use it again, yet (I think I did in the dim past.)

Today I was fiddling around trying to gthings going. I found a Winamp audio file whose origin (from the original mkv under discussion) I cannot place.

I used that to load into Levelator since it was a .wav. No good. Levelator said it had some strange data and would not load due to signed audio-- either Microsoft or Apple aiss (can't recall the file extension name just now. In Audacity I used save as to resave into that Apple file extension and it loaded into Levelator.

There's got to be some easier way to do these things in 2015.

One goal I had was to get MeGUI going. That should, in theory provide all the tools
    but it does not seem to be well used (4k downloads) or supported aside from long complicated FAQ files. Trust me. I've been there.

As it is mkv this and mkv that and mkv your mum is a terrible hassle. Example: I tried to get MkvextractGUI-2 loaded properly into the Mkvtoolnix directory and failed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    There's got to be some easier way to do these things in 2015.
    Not being a smart ass, but there is for a price. Trying to do all that with free software involves more work and a good knowledge of the subject. If nobody else has done what you're looking to do you're not going to find a recipe, it's up to you to come up with the workflow.

I haven't played with the latest version of Audacity (author's website), but with the earlier ones you had to install the FFmpeg Import/Export Library to be able to load all those fancy file formats. Audacity should be your first choice for editing your movies soundtracks as all the tools you need are incorporated into one program and if you need more functions it supports pluggins. Maybe you could use the volume uniformiser tool on the center channel only to improve the dialogue volume without crushing the entire soundtrack. Of course that means you will have to learn how to use it.

If you want to keep doing what you know, Vdub with the proper pluggins can demux the audio (look at the tool page for all the pluggins and guides). You will have to set the audio to full processing mode and hit save wav in the file menu. If you want to save the audio in its original format set the audio to direct stream copy.

To remux your new soundtrack in Vidcoder you only need to load your original movie file, click the green plus button next to audio and choose your new audio file, then hit the red "x" next to the original audio... If your original file is an MKV, you're probably best use MKVMerge to remux. One thing I don't know about is whether Vidcoder is smart enough to just change the container without re-encoding. For example, you have an Xvid with AC3 audio AVI and want to convert it to MKV, if you set Vidcoder to output an Xvid video with AC3 audio MKV does it just remux or re-encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Good tips. I'll see if I can sort it in Vidcoder.

My former procedure was to load the full avi from AGK into Virtual Dub or mod (can't remember with all this)
    and then select the alternative audio in that where PGC pops up. Untick the standard track which becomes greyed out and the new audio goes in.

I have that routine copied from the old thread with screen images.

Today I've made a couple audio samples (full length) with Levelator after re-saving in Audacity.
    For some reason Levelator needs signed audio as Microsoft or Apple aaif.

That brings me up to date.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Using the procedure above in VirtualDubMod 1.5
    The program attempted to load my mkv and then gave the following error:

Only handles [S_TEXT/] subs for the moment.

That " for the moment" is part of the quote.

What it looks like is I have the choice of subs or fixing audio. For all that I would keep the subs unless there is a workaround. I'd flatten the audio just for my own use in the old style way for playback in VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  20. VirtualDubMod is outdated, or at least its MKV support.
    Handbrake or VidCoder are not tools for audio extraction.
    Audacity needs FFMPEG to import MKV, MP4 or other non-audio containers.
    gMKVExtractGUI (GUI for mkvextract.exe) in combination with MKVToolnix works just fine for extracting audio, video, subtitles or chapters from MKV files.
    I use MeGUI on regular bases and works more then fine. It even has Stream Extractor that can extract streams from MKV or other containers. Or, you can put and file in audio encoding section and MeGUI will encode only audio in format you choose.
    Also, you can use MakeMKV to rip your DVDs into MKV and extract audio with gMKVExtractGUI+MKVToolnix combination. MKV is format easy to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I would use the gui and Toolnix but did not get the right combination of where to move/install the gui to extract.

Can you give some direction on that. Toolnix doesn't like the gui within its own folder. Taking it out of the folder and putting it in the Toolnix main folder doesn't work either. What's the trick? Also are there other dependencies needed to make it efficient?

I might have set this up years ago but it's only recently that, for me, mkv has become a slightly more friendly form to work in. When size is less of an issue I can and do use the AVI in the
    routine I know.

Just a note on Makemkv. It is unique to that program that I get overheating of cpu
    and so I do not use it at all.
    Quote Quote  
  22. It works fine if you put gMKVExtractGUI into MKVToolnix folder. Or you can put it somewhere else and point it to MKVToolnix folder. I use MKVToolnix package that comes with MeGUI.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-01_193111.png
Views:	1699
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	31479Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-01_193257.png
Views:	1954
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	31480
    MakeMKV should not overheat your CPU because it does not do any compression. It just remuxes streams into MKV containter. It does same thing as MKVMerge (mmg.exe) from MKVToolnix. So, if your CPU does not overheat when you compress video it will not overheat with MakeMKV running.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Using the procedure above in VirtualDubMod 1.5

All you care about using Vdub+pluggins for is extracting the audio and follow your old AutoGK workflow to set the audio to your liking's. So it's safe to ignore any error message that aren't audio related and if you get the one about re-writing audio headers, ignore that too.

Really, you should stick with Audacity. I had a look at it last night and I realized I used the wrong effect name, uniformizer does not exist the correct name for the function is Leveler. They advise you to use the Compressor effect instead for better quality results. It's more complicated to use, this tutorial will give you an idea of how to set it up (step 2). And if you want more ideas check this out.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Using the procedure above in VirtualDubMod 1.5

All you care about using Vdub+pluggins for is extracting the audio and follow your old AutoGK workflow to set the audio to your liking's. So it's safe to ignore any error message that aren't audio related and if you get the one about re-writing audio headers, ignore that too.

Really, you should stick with Audacity. I had a look at it last night and I realized I used the wrong effect name, uniformizer does not exist the correct name for the function is Leveler. They advise you to use the Compressor effect instead for better quality results. It's more complicated to use, this tutorial will give you an idea of how to set it up (step 2). And if you want more ideas check this out.

"Uniformizer" sounds like something created by those with a poor grasp of vocabulary or is designed to be funny-- I don't know which.

I will look at these features of Audacity.

What remains is how to remux the new audio which, with the error described above the
    program would not open. That file contained subtitles which I read as the reason for stopping.

I said in another problem thread that what I'm saying sounds like gibberish with all these things in conflict.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 1st May 2015 at 21:01. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  25. detmek,

Handbrake does the task fine and allows resizing at the same time.

The toolnix gui thing I'll try reinstalling. Currently I have reverted to form to get my present job finished.
    I will continue with the mkv but once out of a one-stop program like Handbrake, customization as I do with audio seems daunting. I can't remember how many weeks it took me to get that last procedure in my
    grasp but it was several.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    It works fine if you put gMKVExtractGUI into MKVToolnix folder. Or you can put it somewhere else and point it to MKVToolnix folder. I use MKVToolnix package that comes with MeGUI.
    [Attachment 31479 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 31480 - Click to enlarge]

MakeMKV should not overheat your CPU because it does not do any compression. It just remuxes streams into MKV containter. It does same thing as MKVMerge (mmg.exe) from MKVToolnix. So, if your CPU does not overheat when you compress video it will not overheat with MakeMKV running.
    Today my goal is to kust get the mkv gui into toolnix. I mentioned I failed and continue to fail.

When the unzipped folder is opened, there's just an .exe and a readme.
    Running the .exe does not give the .dll and .ini file but just repeats the error of 'put me into the
    toolnix folder. So it's one of these treehouse father and son problems where you don't know unless you know.

_And_ it's needlessly complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Some Success.

I used search again in Win 7 and see the ini, and dll files in there, though maybe in a different order.

the extract gui opened and I did a sample extract. The gui can do video, vobsub and audio. The audio extracted in this sample is 48000 kpbs AC3.

Ok for that.

Next, moving to Audacity and if Audacity loads AC3 then I will attempt to locate 'Level' or whatever else is in thye tool section.

@detmek

I have no problem with spending some time getting FFmpeg installed to my Audacity. I might have attempted it previously but was interrupted for a couple years. Can you give directions for that or is it necessary to use the Audacity forum for those tweaks?

Will report back on whether Audacity will load this AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have downloaded and installed ffmpeg.win-2.2.2.exe available here:

http://lame.buanzo.org/#lamewindl

It and the rest of Audacity is at the manual here:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins#Windows_2

That's as far as I am with Audacity.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    PGC Demux is a tool that I have on system. But I'm having difficulty using it.

I am now using Handbrake as the ripper/encoder and many things I learned about demuxing audio and
    remuxing a refined audio version may not apply.

The previous process did the following:

AC3 converted to WAV using the Goldwave audio editor.

WAV file processed by a free program called The Levelator (which fixes audio so that voice
    is not covered or drowned out throughout the stream.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20130729204551id_/http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

WAV to AC3 replaced with the modified audio file.

I was able to do this after much tutoring at Videohelp using AVI made with AutoGK.

I am starting over using Handbrake as the ripper and whatever new tools needed
    for mp4/mkv.

If there is a better suggestion to demux and do the processes needed, I'll appreciate the
    advice.
    So you like to go from AC3 to WAV then through something that "fixes" audio, then back to AC3?

What is the objective?
    Quote Quote  
  30. The objective, as you point out is fixing the audio.

A stage presentation with those wireless microphones and actors running all over the place
    is not a lot different than the goal of The Levelator which is to balance the levels for voice and reduce any elements which would drown it out from different microphones or audio sources. This is the description at the Conversations Network and it works that way. Normalizing and all the tricks needed to make VLC compliant in this is tedious because I've done it.

I'm on this new path now with mkv and the goal here is to fix the audio, include the available subtitles and ultimately reduce the file size as well.
    Quote Quote