VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I will submit another log. After starting and stopping that 19 second clip it looks a lot like
    what I did in the log which follows.

Verbally described: I added the Vorbis which appears in my list.
    I then toggled everything off
    After that I highlighted the video which appears first on the list
    followed by the Vorbis which appears last on the list.

Here is the log for that:

mkvmerge v7.8.0 ('River Man') 32bit built on Mar 27 2015 16:18:02

'C:\Users\lon\Desktop\myOGGjob work folder for mkvmerge\The myOGGjob new test April 28 for ALL subs mkv.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.

'C:\Users\lon\Desktop\myOGGjob work folder for mkvmerge\The myOGGjob new test April 28 for ALL subs mkv Microsoft Wave Sound Format English Delay 67ms.output.ogg': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Ogg/OGM'.

create pack at 2051

'C:\Users\lon\Desktop\myOGGjob work folder for mkvmerge\The myOGGjob new test April 28 for ALL subs mkv.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.

'C:\Users\lon\Desktop\myOGGjob work folder for mkvmerge\The myOGGjob new test April 28 for ALL subs mkv Microsoft Wave Sound Format English Delay 67ms.output.ogg' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'Vorbis'.

The file 'C:\Users\lon\Desktop\myOGGjob work folder for mkvmerge\The myOGGjob new test April 28 for ALL subs mkv (2).mkv' has been opened for writing.

Progress: 0%
    Progress: 1%
    Progress: 3%
    Progress: 4%
    Progress: 7%
    Progress: 10%
    Progress: 12%
    Progress: 15%
    Progress: 18%
    Progress: 21%
    Progress: 23%
    Progress: 24%
    Progress: 27%
    Progress: 30%
    Progress: 32%
    Progress: 33%
    Progress: 34%
    Progress: 36%
    Progress: 39%
    Progress: 40%
    Progress: 41%
    Progress: 42%
    Progress: 43%
    Progress: 45%
    Progress: 48%
    Progress: 51%
    Progress: 52%
    Progress: 53%
    Progress: 54%
    Progress: 55%
    Progress: 59%
    Progress: 62%
    Progress: 64%
    Progress: 65%
    Progress: 67%
    Progress: 68%
    Progress: 69%
    Progress: 70%
    Progress: 71%
    Progress: 72%
    Progress: 74%
    Progress: 76%
    Progress: 78%
    Progress: 80%
    Progress: 83%
    Progress: 84%
    Progress: 85%
    Progress: 86%
    Progress: 87%
    Progress: 88%
    Progress: 89%
    Progress: 90%
    Progress: 93%
    Progress: 96%
    Progress: 98%
    Progress: 99%
    Progress: 100%

The cue entries (the index) are being written...

Muxing took 1 minute 8 seconds.

This log is based on what my actual muxing job looked like. Do I have a result? I realize I have to check for mkv vs. mka yet....

Meantime I will try to proof one of these copies to see if it sounds the way it should with the new audio.
    Quote Quote  
  2. After my Rage Against the Machine, I have now checked the muxing job with MediaInfo latest version and it reports the mkv file and a Vorbis file as well. It appears to have been successful.

There may be one more thing to do yet but that's enough for today.

I will summarize all the steps for new readers here and to be able to save a print my own
    'manual' of the process. I've done that with previous long threads like this.

After doing these various remuxing jobs in things like Virtual Dub, the speed of the process
    made me think nothing was working right. As to how this all started perhaps I was confusing PGCDemuex with the DGIindex program. It's still difficult tor sort out all the program acronyms.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1. I don't have a microphone so no audio.

2. You can pause a video to see what is going on.

3. For the comment "foolish" I should not replay to you at all but I'll keep in mind that you may be nervous because things are not working smoothly for you, so...

Here is a slow motion version.

Open mmg.exe, not other gui(s).

Click add to add your first file. It will show up under Input files.

Click add to add your second file. It will show up under input files.

Under Tracks, chapters and tags uncheck stream/track you don't need. In my case I unchecked AAC audio because I want to replace it with MP3 audio.

You can change Output file name if you want.

Click on Start muxing.

Yes, your log file shows you got H.264 and Vorbis audio in your new MKV file. If that is what you wanted, you finished your job.

mkvmerge (mmg) is multiplexer. It does not recompress video or audio so repacking is very fast. In VirtualDub, unless you can use Direct Stream Copy everything is recompressed and that takes time.

DGIndex is file indexer/decoder for MPEG2 streams. It can extract AC3 or any other audio from VOB/MPEG2 but not from MKV. To extract audio from MKV you will need mkvextract.exe (command line program) or some GUI that works with it, like gMKVExtractGUI.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Detmek; 11th May 2015 at 03:24.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I appreciate the text explanation. And yes I eventually stop-framed the 19 second clip to see what was going on. Like so much PowerPoint-style screen usage, the motion of the steps goes too fast. I've seen it for decades now.

In proofing my content I noticed that 67 ms delay. I've used VLC's ability to sync audio by using the "J" (for minus) and " K" (for more time ) keys to get sync. At what point in the procedure can the file be manipulated for this?

In going through the options in Virtual Dub I may have seen something about it in there. Can the delay or offset be changed?.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Can the delay or offset be changed?.
    In MMG you highlight the audio, hit the 'Format Specific options' tab, and adjust the delay. Or, depending on what kind of audio it is (if it's used in DVDs) you can remove the delay entirely using DelayCut. However, my educated guess is that the 67ms delay is a red herring and there is no delay and you can ignore it. Do you have some reason (one based on watching the video) to think the audio might be out-of-synch?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Could be a trick of the eye. But I decreased using VLC 100ms and it seemed better. I will continue to experiment.

A new job will provide a way to edit this thread and describe the steps one at a time. I have no idea how many are reading this but I sure wish I had such a source years ago. Sometimes it's just a matter of knowing what to ask and that's learning curve.

Improvements in Handbrake have made a difference as well or perhaps just my understanding of the features.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The good news is I have learned a lot more about using MediaInfo to proof the selections I made in Handbrake.

However I'm still getting the procedures straight. I did not see that Handbrake did a proper extraction when looking for
    the audio. This is contained inside the mkv container. Going to MKVextractgui I checked the desired audio to extract to a work folder. The job showed completed but the AAC selected cannot be found even as an .acc file search. Now is the process of going back through what was written which I will have to do until I get it in order.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Continuing my journal on this.

I noticed some things.

To begin, the suggestion for using Audacity or Goldwave to demultiplex the audio is a good one. Both programs will do this.

Here the observation is that using Audacity was successful on one encode saying it will 'import FFMpeg compatible files" which it did and I continued work from there.

On an encode made earlier also in Handbrake Audacity produced an error saying it could not read the
    source. Then simply dragging and dropping my source mkv to Goldwave gave a successful demuxed audio and I'm continui9ng from there.

I have seen and read a lot about use FFmpeg. Will see if I can figure how to use it standalone, if that indeed is a good goal and process.

For now I'm practicing the current routine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Summary of mkv job at Videohelp

The text describes an MKV encode from DVD with settings in Handbrake to include demuxed audio.

MKV file is transferred to Audacity or Goldwave for demuxing audio.

New replacement audio is re-multiplexed via MKVtoolnix and Mkv mergeGUI.

First Process: Handbrake

1.) Load AnyDVD available from Slysoft. Any DVD allows the DVD disk to be read by Handbrake

2.) Load Handbrake
    3.) Select Source (a DVD in your burner will be listed The following Handbrake settings are very simple and more are available

Open the Video Tab

4.) Select MKV as container
    5.) Select H265 as the Video Codec

At the Slider showing Constant Quality, select your output size . Output will expressed on
    the scale and is logarithmic. An example setting would be lowered to 23 from the default 20 on the
    scale

6.) Select the Audio tab Here the audio can separated and an audio file generated for processing. Audio options Stereo rather than Dolby 5.1, audio codecs AAC, AC3 are selectable under the tab. This 'downmixing to stereo or even mono is preferable for some types of listening. Lower Bitrate can also be selected to save space.

7.) Select the subtitle tab

Opening the ADD Subtitle button will show all available selectable subtitles: options for forced
    subs, hard coding subs etc. The VLC player can run the subtitle files included. No
    hard coded subs are needed in most instances. Using the ADD subtitle Button and making no changes will give all subtitles to your MKV.

That concludes Handbrake setup. You can queue the job with Add to Queue or just press start to begin.

> Use MediaInfo after the job run to see the type of audio and all
    other attributes of your MKV

Part Two: Demux audio

The best suggestion is to use Audacity or, in my case, Goldwave to demux audio.

If using Audacity the FFMpeg package should be added to the program for the extract to work. Here is the location of the Audacity FFmpeg package:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#How_do_I_downl...ort_Library.3F

1.) Load the audio program

2.) Drag your MKV video file into the audio editor window and the demuxing process will begin. The resulting decompressed file will be a .wav file which Audacity or Goldwave use for their filters. Once the .wav is decompressed it can be worked on with Audacity or Goldwave .

( A problem I noticed in Audacity:First demux I did gave the message 'importing FFmpeg compatible files.' When Audacity gave a message saying it could not read a Handbrake mkv, I loaded a second job into Goldwave which decompressed the audio to .wav with no errors.)

3.) With the .wav made in the audio editor, that file can be saved/exported to another file format. The most compact of the file formats is Ogg Vorbis. I have been using Ogg Vorbis on these jobs.

Part Three Remux the new audio with your mkv.

The Mmkvtoolnix package has a GUI front end to do this task. Get MKVtoolnix and the mkvmerge gui both at Videohelp. Install the mkvgui as the program directs into the folder of MKVtoolnix.

1.) With the mergegui option open use the ADD button to select your mkv video

2.) With the merge option open use add to select your (Ogg AAC whatever you selected in your audio editor).

You can untick all the other vobsub and tag files with the toggle button at screen right.

3.) Put a check in the check box for you mkv video (should be listed first) and then your (Ogg etc) processed replacement audio (should be showing last.)

4.) Select start muxing. The job will complete in just a few minutes.

(Note: If you use Ogg Vorbis audio as I did, the completed job will be
    smaller than the mkv with audio that you started with before extracting it.)

5.) Save to a convenient file name. Job done.

Review the entire thread for more details and tips on this technique.
    Quote Quote