VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently have a MythTV PC setup that records from my HDHomeRUN PRIME in an MPG2 format from my cable company.

For the longest time, I cut the MPGs with MPG2Cut2 and then threw them in to ffmpeg's libx264.

My problem is that the HD recordings are too big and I would prefer to encode directly to MP4 with ffmpeg and then cut with AviDemux or something similar.

Would there really be any difference in cutting afterwards vs before?

MPG2Cut2 sometimes has me leaving small slivers of commercials due to keyframe cutting but I don't want to have more with AViDemux.

Will I be able to cut in the same places or just have ffmpeg allow me to leave keyframes in the same areas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Cut and convert directly with avidemux?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Cut and convert directly with avidemux?
    I would normally do that, but my MythTV Linux Headless PC is 4 cores and can encode via ffmpeg command line way faster than my Desktop Quad Core can even with ffmpeg.

For some reason my Linux PC can encode like 3-4 times faster than my PC but being headless I can't really control AviDemux to cut files very efficiently.

I was hoping to do a massive convert to reclaim space and then cut later.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should really try cut and convert and at same time as you then can cut eactly where you want. Not just at keyframes.

You could cut with ffmpeg...but I guess you(everyone) prefer a gui when cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You should really try cut and convert and at same time as you then can cut eactly where you want. Not just at keyframes.

You could cut with ffmpeg...but I guess you(everyone) prefer a gui when cutting.
    Yea I am going to probably use ffmpeg to cut. I don't mind command line any other time just seems a tad drama for cutting but it seems AviDemux after leaves huge chucks of commericals vs just MPG2Cut2's little slivers to none when cutting the MPG2 first.
    Quote Quote