VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For the best digitizing/restoration possible, I am looking for either the JVC HM-DH40000u, the JVC HM-DH5U, or the HM-DT100u. Unfortunately, the people I'm working are unsure of anything below the par of those 3 units. I've seen a few on ebay but sadly I cannot afford to pay the huge sums of money they are asking for. I would pay it but I just don't have it.

For any givers, a giveaway is always welcomed, however in the more realistic realm of possibility, I can do $100-$400. Anything more than that would have to be paid in installments.

Thank you kindly.

-Arian
    Quote Quote  
  2. People (like you) who haven't yet started on a VHS transfer project have finally begun to move their focus from the old, over-hyped SVHS models (which have all been beaten to death by ten prior owners) to the lesser-known but newer DVHS models. So the prices of the JVCs have spiked recently, partly for the JVC name cachet and partly for a couple of features exclusive to JVC's variant of DVHS (which are irrelevant to transferring analog VHS to digital BTW). I.E., with JVC DVHS, you have a cult following similar to the LaserDisc diehards: a limited number of movies were commercially released as HD-DVHS, which can only be played on JVC units because only JVC includes a decryption circuit for their DRM protection. Some of the final JVCs also had modern ATSC digital broadcast tuners, which drives up the value to those who still want that in a VCR.

My suggestion would be to look for a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U DVHS instead. This is a very good, very reliable model with TBC/DNR very similar to the JVC DigiPure circuits everyone frantically chases down old JVC vcrs to obtain. These Mitsus used to be more expensive than the JVCs due to scarcity, but now the tide has shifted to JVC and prices are dropping back to earth for the Mitsubishis. This month, several sold on eBay for $249-$319. I have used this Mitsubishi side by side with a JVC HR-S9911 for years, and found it impossible to tell the transfer results apart. Some dedicated wireheads here on VH have used oscilloscopes and a suite of test gear to "prove" the Mitsubishi TBC/DNR is inferior to the JVC, but it think it would be very hard to distinguish a difference: in practical use, its a wash (even the control interface is the same).
    Last edited by orsetto; 27th Apr 2015 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please don't use this forum to sell items,just pm the op,any other offers for sales will be deleted.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. To anyone viewing my post of April 2015 above, please note it was NOT an offer to sell anything to the OP: merely a recommendation of an alternative DVHS model he might find thru local second-hand sources.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A first time user just posted an ad here and phone number so i deleted that post and was just giving a warning if he tried it again.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote