VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi could anyone help me with recording what is shown on my tv that is streamed through a internet set top box?
    the box has 2 usb ports, an SD card slot, one AV OUT port, an SPDIF port, and one HDMI port which i use to connect it to the tv.
    So is there any way of recording this? will I need a HDPVR? how do i set it up etc,

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is the box brand and model? Try google it and you might get some others that have tried record or capture from it.

You might be able to use a HDPVR and capture from the hdmi port if it doesn't use hdcp, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply Baldrick, It's called "jadoo 4" and i've looked all over the internet and found a few others asking the same question but didn't find any answers. It only has 1 hdmi port and that is to connect it to the tv, it also has an AV output port, can i connect a hdpvr to it via the AV cable? or do i need to connect jadoo 4 to the tv with the AV port and then connect the hdpvr with hdmi port?

sorry if im asking a silly question, i really don't have a clue.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using a component video connection for recording while using HDMI for the TV may not work. Many set top boxes won't allow their component video connections and HDMI connections to be used simultaneously. ...or they add an "HDCP not detected" error message to the video if you turn off the TV, which the capture device will record. If you encounter either problem there are ways around it.

The original Hauppauge HD-PVR (Model 1212 or 1228) has a component video out to connect to your TV to let you to watch and record a channel at the same time. It has no HDMI connections.

The HD-PVR 2 (Model 1512 or 1507) has HDMI in and component video in and HDMI out. The HDMI out allows you to watch video from either the HDMI in or component in connections.

Note that the "out" connections on the HD PVR and HD PVR 2 don't work when they not receiving power.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi usually_quiet, thanks a lot for the reply.

so is it definitely possible for me to record the internet set top box with a HD-PVR even if i run into the HDCP problem?

Which HD-PVR model would you recommend that I buy?

and could you explain the set-up I would require (what cables go where)

Thank You
    Last edited by moein; 25th Apr 2015 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moein View Post
    Hi usually_quiet, thanks a lot for the reply.

so is it definitely possible for me to record the internet set top box with a HD-PVR even if i run into the HDCP problem?
    Yes.

If you use component video out from your set-top box and don't connect the HDMI from your set-top box to the TV or the HD-PVR, HDCP won't be a problem.

If you want to record from HDMI and use HDMI to connect the TV, then you need to find an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect. However, since most HDMI splitters do not remove HDCP, and I do not know which splitters available in the UK have that feature, I am reluctant to suggest that as an option. If you can get a recommendation for a suitable HDMI splitter readily obtainable in the UK, then the HD-PVR 2 (Model 1512 or 1507) will work.

Which HD-PVR model would you recommend that I buy?
    As things stand, I recommend the original HD-PVR (Model 1212 or 1228), because it does not respond to analog copy protection. The HD-PVR 2 (Model 1512 or 1507) won't record an analog signal with CGMS-A copy protection if your set top box uses it.

and could you explain the set-up I would require (what cables go where)

Thank You
    There is a connection diagram on the product page for the HD-PVR http://hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hdpvr.html under the "Features" tab and "Gallery" tab. The HD-PVR is bundled with one set of component cables. You need a second set of component cables.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much!

Is HDCP an active problem on all set top boxes?

or is it a feature added by the company, so would it be possible that I connect the set top box to the HD-PVR with a hdmi and then connect the set top box to the tv with component cables and still not have HDCP as an issue?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much!

Is HDCP an active problem on all set top boxes?
    HDMI connections on most set-top boxes are HDCP-protected. The companies providing the content for the TV service don't want you to be able to record it without using a DVR provided by the TV service.

or is it a feature added by the company, so would it be possible that I connect the set top box to the HD-PVR with a hdmi and then connect the set top box to the tv with component cables and still not have HDCP as an issue?
    I'm not going to speculate on that. Do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Ah i see..

Just to clear this up

So I connect the internet box to the tv with a HDMI cable.

But what is the name of the cable I need to connect the hd pvr to the internet box? because on the internet box there is just one single "A/V OUT port"

And then I connect the hdpvr to the tv with the component cables right?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your box doesn't have component video out, only composite and HDMI, so the original HD-PVR is not a good choice.

You need the HD-PVR 2. Hauppauge refers to the model you would want (the non-gaming version) as both model 1512 and model 1507 in its product pages for the device at their UK website. The device comes with one HDMI cable. You need two more. One to connect the set-top box to an HDMI splitter, and one to connect an HDMI splitter to the TV.

You also need an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect. Not all HDMI splitters have that defect. The vast majority do not because HDMI devices are not supposed to remove HDCP.

I found the ViewHD splitter I bought was also listed on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P-1x2-VHD-1X2MN3D/dp/B004F9LVXC/ There may be better source for the device. Note that there are several HDMI splitters that look very similar but which won't be useful for your purposes.

[Edit]Looking at user reviews on Amazon UK, it appears that the ViewHD VHD-1X2MN3D I linked to is the US model with a power adapter meant for the US. That may be a problem. Plug adapters don't always work well with electronic devices.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Apr 2015 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Perfect thank you, I'll order the HD-PVR 2 and HDMI splitter now.

I understand about how I connect the set-top box to the splitter and the tv but how do I connect the set-top box to the HD-PVR?

thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perfect thank you, I'll order the HD-PVR 2 and HDMI splitter now.

I understand about how I connect the set-top box to the splitter and the tv but how do I connect the set-top box to the HD-PVR?

thank you.
    Read the edit to my post above first.

The HD-PVR 2 is connected to the PC with a USB 2.0 cable, included in the package
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I'll just try it without the splitter first and then try it with the splitter and if it still doesnt work I will try and look for another one.

I still don't know how to connect the HD PVR to the set-top box, could you tell me what sort of cable I will need for this?

thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll just try it without the splitter first and then try it with the splitter and if it still doesnt work I will try and look for another one.

I still don't know how to connect the HD PVR to the set-top box, could you tell me what sort of cable I will need for this?

thank you.
    Without a splitter:
    HDMI out from the set-top box is connected to the HD-PVR 2's HDMI in with an HDMI cable.
    HDMI out from HD-PVR 2 is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable.

With no splitter, there will be no picture on the TV when the HD-PVR 2 has no power.

Also, the HD-PVR 2 cannot be left powered on indefinitely. It needs to be power cycled (unplugged from the wall for at least 30 seconds and then plugged back in) every few days. If the HD-PVR 2 appears to have stopped working, the first thing you should try is power cycling.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    ah but how can I connect the HDMI out from the set-top box to the HDMI in of the HD-PVR with a HDMI cable and connect the set-top box to the splitter/tv via hdmi?

the set-top box only has one 1 HDMI port
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah but how can I connect the HDMI out from the set-top box to the HDMI in of the HD-PVR with a HDMI cable and connect the set-top box to the splitter/tv via hdmi?

the set-top box only has one 1 HDMI port
    An HDMI splitter allows one source device to be connected to two destination devices simultaneously. The STB connects to the splitter's HDMI in port. One of the two HDMI out ports is connected to the TV and the other is connected to the HD-PVR 2.

If you use an HDMI splitter, then you don't need to use the HD-PVR 2's HDMI out for the TV. Also, the HD-PVR 2 can be unplugged from the wall when not in use without affecting the picture.

Note that cheap HDMI splitters that do not receive power from the wall tend not to work properly, let alone remove HDCP. Don't be tempted to buy one.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    oh I see, sorry I was really confused but I've learnt a lot!

I'll just go for it and buy the HDMI splitter you recommended earlier and hope it works, if not I'll have to look into them further and find a good working one.

Are there any other HDMI splitters you know of that definitely work and remove HDCP that I can buy here in the UK, even if it's a little pricey?
    Quote Quote