VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i have been having many issues over the last several months. and most people i speak to about it say the same thing. that i have to change my prevledge level to admin. so, i want to do this once and for all. can someone show me how to do this ? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i have been having many issues over the last several months. and most people i speak to about it say the same thing. that i have to change my prevledge level to admin. so, i want to do this once and for all. can someone show me how to do this ? thanks.
    Which OS is installed? XP?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Create another account with admin privileges in control panel/user and then change your original account to admin if you can't change it directly.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista

Some functions/installs fail if you are not in the ADMIN/admin login. You may have admin authority on your user but it is not the absolute admin such as Root in Unix/Linux.

Many people familiar with prior versions of Windows are curious what happened to the built-in Administrator account that was always created by default. Does this account still exist, and how can you access it?
    The account is created in Windows 7 or Vista, but since it’s not enabled you can’t use it. If you are troubleshooting something that needs to run as administrator, you can enable it with a simple command.

Note: You really shouldn’t use this account for anything other than troubleshooting. In fact, you probably shouldn't use it at all if you did not know how to do this procedure or find it.

Enable Built-in Administrator Account
    First you’ll need to open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing “Run as administrator” (or use the Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut from the search box)

Now type the following command:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Now when you login you will see a new User (Administrator) with Admin authority to use for for such as registering codecs and other installs that fail.

Name:  55398b94.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  15.0 KB

To remove the Extra sign in user from your login if you do not like it, open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing “Run as administrator” (or use the Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut from the search box) and type:
    net user administrator /active:no

The user will no longer show on the sign in screen.

UPDATE: Just looked at your computer specs which say Windows XP. This is for Windows 7 and Vista as noted in case you have them but have not upgraded your profile.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Only using Admin account will give you true admin access.
    Elevating another user to admin rights is not equal to be real admin (why - ask Microsoft but there is few subtle differences).
    I use only admin account, disabling UAC, don't use realtime antivirus protection and i don't have any problems with trojans or viruses (decent firewall and hardening Windows is absolute must).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first thing I do on any computer is become the administrator and stay there.
    Somehow, Microsoft thinks that the operating system on my computer is still there's.
    It's not. (end of rant)
    Yes, on Windows 7, you start with unhiding the account (as stated above):
    (cmd.exe "run as administrator") c:\net user administrator /active:yes
    There are 19 net commands, enter "net /?" to see and then (i.e. "net use /?")
    But I go further:
    FIRST TIME SETTING ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD
    winkey-r compmgmt.msc 'local users and groups - users - right click, properties - uncheck 'user cannot ...", check "user must reset password next logon"
    logoff, logon
    AUTOLOGON
    winkey-r "netplwiz" (uncheck 'users must enter user name and password to use this computer) click ok (current logon provided, add and confirm password)
    Note, you have to set a password FIRST for this to work (I think)
    pcG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Only using Admin account will give you true admin access.
    Elevating another user to admin rights is not equal to be real admin (why - ask Microsoft but there is few subtle differences).
    I use only admin account, disabling UAC, don't use realtime antivirus protection and i don't have any problems with trojans or viruses (decent firewall and hardening Windows is absolute must).
    I do this too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I activated Hidden Administrator in Window 7 also.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote