VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I know theres lots of threads on here of the videonow kids player system but all of those seem to deal with converting content to play on the videonow player. I am interested in the reverse of this. I would like to know if it's possible to rip a wav file from one of these discs and convert it to say an mpeg or wmv file to play on a PC. I already know that you can find the content on these discs elsewhere and in lots better quality but I want to know if it's possible to do this. I have the PVDTools that someone made and I am able to get a picture on VNRip but it's offset and the skew and UP buttons don't work. All of the below come from the Demo disc that comes with the player.

This is a pic of the intro track from a VideoNow Black and white disc

Name:  VNrip1.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  15.9 KB

And here is the index track that shows you the content on the disk

Name:  VNRip2.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  18.8 KB

And this is a pic of what happens when I try to load the main track from the Demo disc

Name:  VNRip3.jpg
Views: 1926
Size:  15.2 KB

The same picture as above but showing all the files that come with VNRip.

Name:  VNRip4.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  26.2 KB

Changing the Skew and Up numbers and clicking "Check Again" does nothing. The .wav files I extracted with a cd ripping program on my PC.
    I cannot believe that no one has continued this project. A while back some guy reverse engineered a hitclip chip and was able to extract the song off the chip and I was wondering if he see this post if he would like to try something new. Heres a link to the site http://ch00ftech.com/2013/12/31/reverse-engineering-a-hit-clip/ I hope this is enough info and thanks for the help.
    Last edited by coondog1234; 22nd Apr 2015 at 19:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Attached is one of the wav files that shows up scrambled in VNRip. I hope this shows up in the above message.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if this will help anything or if anyone will see this post but I was able to find pictures of the VN color PCB.

[Attachment 34681 - Click to enlarge]

These first two I found on the internet.

[Attachment 34682 - Click to enlarge]

The numbers on the more important chips:

AT5801FG4408D This chip connects to the connectors going to the Pickup head. Possibly video processing.
    [Attachment 34684 - Click to enlarge]

Gigastorage G3730 I think all of the video and audio processes happen in here.
    [Attachment 34683 - Click to enlarge]

There are a few more chips but to me they look like power management and the audio amp chips.
    What I'm after is what's going on in the gigastorage chip and the chip connected to the reader head. Possibly dump those two chip and find whatever software is handling the video streams and then make it into some type of windows program to play/convert all videonow discs from a windows PC just by simply inserting the disc in your optical drive or loading a .wav file of the tracks on the disc.
    I hope this inspires someone to do this. I know that the Videonow system is pretty much dead but I've been after something like this for years since I first bought the Black and white VN player.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 3rd Dec 2015 at 14:55. Reason: Fixed images
    Quote Quote