VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm trying to burn multiple video files into my 4.7GB DVD-R disc, and while I do manage to burn them and they work perfectly when I load the DVD into my laptop, it reads "no disc" everytime I try to play it into my DVD player.

The files are in MP4 format, and I tried it on multiple DVD players not just one and yet it isn't working on every single one of them.

Can someone help me with this please? Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD players don't read data discs with "stuff burned onto them". If you want a real DVD then you need to convert the MP4 files and author a real DVD that is recognizable in a DVD player.....and the MP4 files will get MUCH larger in the process so you will not fit as many as you are trying to fit now as data.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
    I'm trying to burn multiple video files into my 4.7GB DVD-R disc, and while I do manage to burn them and they work perfectly when I load the DVD into my laptop, it reads "no disc" everytime I try to play it into my DVD player.
    No surprise. Hech54 is correct: your disc isn't a"DVD". It's just a data disc with some mp4 video files on it.

Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
    The files are in MP4 format
    "MP4" is a container, not a format. It can contain video encoded with different codecs, frame structures, and other factors. DVD is encoded as MPEG2 (and nothing else!) and authored into .VOB containers with other support files. What you need is a converter and authoring program that can make those mp4's DVD-compliant (which means re-encoding them properly) and configure them for playback on a DVD player.

A DVD disc folder and file structure looks like this: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

The DVD "format" for PAL or NTSC looks like this: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech

One free program that can do all this, with a learning curve, is AVStoDVD. There are other freebies around.

Your other choice is to copy those mp4's to a USB drive or external HDD and try playing them in the USB port of a BluRay player. Some BD players can play them, some can't. One problem you might have is that MP4's can contain a great variety of video encodings, not all of which will be playable a BD player.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote