VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...or is it my Intel HD 4400, or wrong settings? Between it and EVR the only difference I've seen is madvr is a cpu hog and EVR isn't, I've tried all kinds of settings I've found on the net but it either makes a video choppy or otherwise, no picture quality improvement, and forget about using it with SVP (though it's probably my i3 processor to blame for that). All I want is a sharped HD picture that I hear about all the time with madvr. I really would like to know how to set madvr up with the right settings, or otherwise that it's really is a placebo.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    You would only need to potentially sharpen a HD video if you show it on a small screen or if you (heaven forbid) have to downsample it.

Sharpening destroys resolution!
    Last edited by newpball; 19th Apr 2015 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sharpening is related to resolution, but it isn't the same thing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't mean overly sharpened, I like most of my videos a bit sharpened, but the question I have is regarding alleged picture quality that madvr is said to deliver.
    I've even done screen shots of the same frame, one with madvr, one with EVR, they were identical. I use Porplayer btw.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manoluv View Post
    ...or is it my Intel HD 4400, or wrong settings? Between it and EVR the only difference I've seen is madvr is a cpu hog and EVR isn't, I've tried all kinds of settings I've found on the net but it either makes a video choppy or otherwise, no picture quality improvement, and forget about using it with SVP (though it's probably my i3 processor to blame for that). All I want is a sharped HD picture that I hear about all the time with madvr. I really would like to know how to set madvr up with the right settings, or otherwise that it's really is a placebo.
    I think that to get the most out of madvr, you need a good discrete video card. At least that is the impression I came away with after I took a peek at its user forum a couple of years ago. I use Intel HD 4600 for one PC and Radeon HD 4200 onboard graphics for the other, so I never bothered with madvr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    By "HD" do you mean 1080p? The only advantage madVR offers for still image quality of 1080p is "better" chroma upsampling and "better" YCbCr -> RGB conversion.

Compare screenshots of highly saturated reds.

If you're upscaling a 720p or below source, there can be more of a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of my videos are 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Madvr seems out of the question for me, that is, I can get it to work, with some 'trade quality for performance' setting but the result is no better than EVR. I'm relatively new at how to get the best video quality out of Potplayer or mpc-hc (I don't like VLC). Are there any tutorials on how to get the best quality without using madvr?
    Last edited by manoluv; 21st Apr 2015 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have GT1 Intel GPU which is something like HD3000 and madVR works just fine. I use Spline for luma and Bicubic 75 for chroma, Smoothmotion and 6-bit dither. Your GPU is at least 2x faster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried those settings, seems to work pretty well now. I tried some tutorials on the net but most were for high end video. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. madVR does not sharpen picutre. With right settings it will not blur it much. For example, on some GPU-s EVR render uses bilinear resizer which creates blurry picture and you can not change that. EVR-CP does have ability to use some other resizers so you can control what is going on.

With Intel GPUs EVR uses hardware built-in resizes that is similar to Lanczos so picture will not be much different when you compare it with madVRs Bicubic, Lanczos or Spline resizer. That is one of the reasons you don't see noticible difference.

If you want shaprer picture try some of the sharpen shaders or sharpen filters built into player you use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I can learn, Madvr will do most of eye-popping up-scaling with 480p, most of my videos are 720-1080. It seems that if the video is of good quality, madvr won't help that much, at least not near enough to torture your GPU. So to fine tune my videos, I will just use shaders. I'll have a madvr preset on Potplayer when playing 480p, but will stick mostly with EVR + SVP + shaders with the HD videos. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Manoluv-please do not post multiple threads on the same subject,i merged your other thread and deleted the other one.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @manoluv In the thread that was deleted, I think you asked about a Radeon R7 240.

Yes that is a step up from Intel HD 4400 graphics. No, it will not allow you to significantly improve HD video processing with madvr. Using madvr's most advanced features for deinterlacing and upscaling HD video requires a $200 (and up) gamer card. See this post from last year at J River Media Center's forum: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87420.0
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd May 2015 at 09:51.
    Quote Quote