VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

Finally, I got a blu-ray device and now I can play such content on my PC.

But, I'm experiencing some problems here...

I do not have any blu-ray software player to run such discs.

So, I look after some programs to do that.

Free options I could find: Leawo Blu-ray Player and VLC media player ( I follow the guide: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ , for watching Blu-ray in that program).

But in both programs when I play the discs, the images become distorted. Some kind of "video pixelation".

Something like that:

---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj9BmSSl0yk

---> http://www.lostateminor.com/tag/distorted-video-stills/

I have several blu-ray discs here. All originals and completely news. No scratches, stains, mold: all clean and undamaged.

When I put such discs on my blu-ray standalone player, runs perfect! Image and sound clear!

Interestingly, only 2 ou 3 blu-rays discs that I have here play smoothly using Leawo Blu-ray Player. The other ones the images become distorted and pixelated. In VLC media player happens the same.

Do you know what's the problem?

The discs are very new and run OK in other devices.

Maybe some kind of blu-ray disc protection's that prevent me to play such disc on my PC?

I do not even try to rip or copy my blu-ray discs. Only trying to play them on my PC.

Do I need to find another software player to run blu-ray content without problems?

Or I do not know how to properly configure / adjust the settings correctly, making Leawo Blu-ray Player and VLC play blu-ray videos without issues?

Thanks for your helping!

Best regards!

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the Mac, especially when they were still charging for it, Leawo's player was actually, mostly, just VLC under the hood. It sounds like that may still be the case, and on the PC version as well (not that I'd expect much else from Leawo).

Not that the above would help, except if both players ARE just VLC...

Unfortunately, I think there aren't many other good choices for viewing Blu-Ray through software, unless you're willing to go to commercially available players. I could be wrong, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Are you running a decrypter in the background while playing the original discs in VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello, dear all!

Thanks for the tips!

@ gonca
    Are you running a decrypter in the background while playing the original discs in VLC.

No, just the program player itself to run the disc. No decrypters, nothing.

All my blu-ray are from my country region and I'm not trying to copy / rip the disc: just watch them.

For blu-ray content is a necessity to make use any kind of decrypters, even for just playing discs?

Or only paid players programs can process correctly blu-ray discs? Specially, more recent/ newer blu-ray discs content?

I'm suspecting that its a problem concerning about blu-ray protection...

If you have more tips, it will be helpful!

Thanks for helping!

PS: blu-ray players on PC just need constant playback support/updates for new Blu-ray disc playback? Or even specific support to run correctly some movie or video, jut like “Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1” or other new movies on blu-ray content discs?

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 19th Apr 2015 at 19:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    It sounds like your discs are encrypted and VLC can't really playback encrypted BD's
    Quote Quote  
  6. It sounds like your discs are encrypted and VLC can't really playback encrypted BD's
    I think its the case. Or not.

See ---> http://windows7themes.net/en-us/playing-blu-ray-on-windows-7-or-8-yes-vlc-can-play-bds/ ( maybe I did something wrong concerning about VLC )

But, even for only watching the disc do I need some decrypter or similar like that?

VLC even can play the video. The image freezes. Stops. And become gray color. Argh! :C

Leawo Blu-ray Player can play just a few discs here. The others, it seems it can't process the video / audio correctly.

Pixelation or something like that.

Do I need to buy AnyDVD HD or something like that in such cases? Nothing can be done in such situations?

And concerning about blu-ray players, which ones do you point at this time?

Yes, I know that TotalMedia Theatre was a great program for blu-ray running.

But, it 's discontinued by their developers.

Which good options do we have?

Thanks again!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    If you read the comments at the bottom of your link you will see others are having all kinds of problems. Playing encrypted blu rays on VLC is hit and miss, more miss that hit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD HD won't be enough if you want full menu support. You do still need a commercial software player for that. I find PowerDVD Ultra to be adequate, and the price was right. An older version was bundled with my retail-package drive, and I later upgraded to a newer version for $40.

I liked TotalMedia Theatre a little better, but for what it would have cost me at the time, I could have bought a hardware Blu-Ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @ gonca
    If you read the comments at the bottom of your link you will see others are having all kinds of problems. Playing encrypted blu rays on VLC is hit and miss, more miss that hit.
    Hi. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I do not read all the commens as you said. But, it seems that the problems exists for others too!

And if VLC and Leawo Blu-ray Player are very similar concerning "engines" that process audio / video as @ Ai Haibara pointed before, its not strange both of them have similar issues too.

Leawo Blu-ray it seems process a little "better" ( or not so bad) the video / audio comparing to VLC in such situation.

@ usually_quiet
    if you want full menu support. You do still need a commercial software player for that. I find PowerDVD Ultra to be adequate,

I'll give a try in that one! Searching all player programs pointed here in Videohelp, it seems its the best choice at the moment. The other programs are not so updated or have some kind problems to run full menu support or other issues.

PS: Even PowerDVD does not a "permanent" support for blu-ray playback than? Do I always need to update the program to get full support for new movies and /or discs released on the market around the world?

Example: DVDFab Media Player ( they released an update that added the playback support for the new DVD and Blu-ray movie “Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1”). The other programs works in similar ways too?

---> https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab-Media-Player

Thanks for helping!

Best regards.
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 19th Apr 2015 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
  10. the audio track probably is 24bits, which standalone bluray players don't play.
    Quote Quote  
  11. using ffmpeg and avanti ffmpeg gui, setting output to 440p, makes the mkv file playable. Must be the bitdepth of the videofile that's not working with standalone bluray players.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to play PercyJackson and the sea of monsters but the picture cuts out and glitches slightly. Is there any way to fix that?
    Quote Quote