VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a question about the total time to make a Blu-ray disk, assuming the starting point is a .ts video file about 2 hours long and the end point is a single layer Blu-ray BD-R disk.

I have a program called Nero Video from their 2015 package and it is a very simple little program that allows one to configure a menu and add the video file. I have used 2 pass encoding and 100% quality. I reduce the bit rate from 30Mb to about 24Mb to make 2 hours fit. It takes 4 hours and 40 minutes to build the files ready for burning. It all works, but it seems very slow? Most of the time it says it is transcoding.

The next stage is to burn the BD-R disk, and I use the ImgBurn program with my external LG BE14NU40 USB3 drive. It takes about 21 minutes to burn the disk (at 4x speed) and 11 minutes to verify it. That seems very reasonable, no complaints there.

Long ago I used Premiere Pro to make DVDs and I remember that was slow too.

My computer is a few years old but it is fast - a Core i7 PC with 12GB RAM running Windows 8.1 64 bit. I can see all the cores are running at about 65% busy while building the files, and about 8GB of memory is in use. The disk is hardly being used. So I suppose that even more CPU power or a better program would help?

My question is simply this - does everyone have to suffer this extreme slowness, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. 1080p encoding might be that slow.

Can you just adjust any video settings in nero? Like adjust quality settings to get faster encoding.

Or try a free solution like avchdcoder, bdtoavchd, makebd(BETA) and compare how slow/fast they are.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
    am I missing something obvious?
    Yep.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

My question is simply this - does everyone have to suffer this extreme slowness, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks.
    Many people would consider that fast or at least average.

If you think about it, you are encoding a 2 hour 1080p video using 2 pass. So basically the movie is being encoded in real time if about 30 minutes of that 4:40 is spent muxing and authoring the Bluray structure. The 2 pass could be doubling the encode time.
    Last edited by Vidd; 19th Apr 2015 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Vidd View Post

Many people would consider that fast or at least average.

If you think about it, you are encoding a 2 hour 1080p video using 2 pass. So basically the movie is being encoded in real time if about 30 minutes of that 4:40 is spent muxing and authoring the Bluray structure. The 2 pass could be doubling the encode time.
    OK, thanks, I guess it is normal and I will have to live with it. The more recent Core i7 processors are about twice the speed of mine, so one day my machine will get upgraded and it will be a be a bit faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try BDrebiulder in it's Highspeed BD25 mode.
    Quote Quote