VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have received mkv files with 720 movie files before and have had no problems playing audio in Windows player or converting to vob, etc.

I have a new mkv that seemed to have no audio. It would not play with the video in Windows player. It seems to be non existant when opened in Cyberlink Power Director 8. I also had no luck with AVC Free. I checked and found that this file had DTS audio.

I put it into AVSTODVD and the audio file showed next to the video file before I clicked start. Several hours later and I have VOB files and still no audio.

There were a few comments at the source, but, none mentioned any audio problems.

Just what particular portion of my ignorance is getting in the way in this instance?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Could you post the mediainfoxp information about the video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    See if the video plays with VLC. It can handle DTS audio. Those other programs may not.

And if you use AVStoDVD, uncheck 'Keep AC3/DTS/MP2 DVD Compliant Audio:' in preferences if you have DTS audio or it will just pass it through.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AVStoDVD.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	31334  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    redwuz: the audio that plays in VLC before conversion is still does not play with that preference unclicked. Neither as VOB file or 'burnt' on a DVDrw.

newupball: I will have to check out the midiainfoxp. Will it tell you a different set of stuff than the AVStoDVD log?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    newpball: attached as hhh.txt is mediainfoxp result DTS Home Theater. At this point I'd love to get even a clear 2.0 stereo.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Drat!! I did my usual glasses wearing smiley and it makes me look like a beach hipster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    How do you have sound configured on your PC.
    Standard soundcard, audio interface, optical?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by viwerex View Post
    Will it tell you a different set of stuff than the AVStoDVD log?
    The AVStoDVD project log file will give a lot of more info, mainly how the encode has gone and if the output is OK. Do post it here.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    newpball: it must be standard as it came with the PC.

[FYI: before I unchecked the 'Keep AC3/DTS/MP2 DVD Compliant Audio:' the whole process included 2 passes and a large window and took about an hour before the audio conversion window would pop up. Since then a smaller AVStoDVD window opens and it is 1 pass at about 40 minutes to the audio window.]

_MrC_: ASVtoDVD log attached
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. My dear... you are using release 2.5.1, which is more than 2 years older than latest 2.8.1... see the link in my signature to download it.

Anyway, from the log file everything is OK, the source DTS audio track has been (on paper) correctly encoded and it is there as AC3 audio track in the output DVD structure. Have you tried to burn the DVD folder to a disc (better if RW, better with ImgBurn) and play the disc on your external DVD player?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC. I burnt a DVDrw on the 19th . I use ImageBurn Free and always have had great results. How different is ImgBurn?

So there may have been a fix needed in the older AVStoDVD that should be fixed now, along with other good stuff. When I get the new one should I still unclick the preference newpball suggested?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC: same result: original in VLC shows audio, result of AVStoDVD does not.

On setting up the new AVStoDVD I did not recognize what the default audio [thing] was: wavi + something. The other choices included 2 FFMPEG choices and since I had to add AVISYNTH to the program, I chose FFMPEG(AVISYNTH).

This time the video seemed to pass through and all the processing was the audio.

Log from AVStoDVD attached.

There were no comments about audio problems at the site I got this from. It was several years old.

Often my Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 is good enough, usually even for MKV. My next go to is AnyVideoConverter (free), but, since it is the free version is limited for problems like this. AVStoDVD is the last resort as it does so much that it has taken hours to finish. If not for the time involved I'd use it much more often. Although unclicking the audio pass through has sped it up these last tries.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Again, also for this project (with 2.8.1 release) the audio has been converted from DTS (source audio track) to AC3 (output DVD audio track).

Now, if VLC is not playing audio I see 3 possibile causes:

1. VLC fails to play the AC3 audio track from the DVD structure

2. AC3 audio volume is too low

3. AC3 audio was not encoded properly

Possible investigations/solutions for each possible causes:

1. Try another software player (e.g. MPC-HC) or burn the DVD disc and play it with your external DVD player

2. Increase the volume of your speakers as much as you can

3. Try again with AVStoDVD, selecting 'FFmpeg Safe Mode' as AC3 encoder ('Preferences'/'Audio').

Now you have some homework to do....

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC: Selected FFmpeg Safe Mode and downloaded MPC-HC and played volume at high: no audio at all.

It has to be 3 AC3 audio was not encoded properly. Safe mode should have helped that, though?

In 2008 people were expected to have no problems and I saw no comments asking for help.
    I had 2 files with the same problem. I ran the second one through with safe mode and it ended up with a soundtrack..with a 1.02 second advance. I put that one in the PowerDirector and synced it up. _Might_ only have 2.0 stereo after that, but I can hear it.

Is there anything different between log1 here and the other one?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. H viwerex,

the second log file is partial, could you upload the full log file?

'FFmpeg Safe Mode' should help to understand if you have any codecs issue, because it does not use codecs to decode the source DTS audio track, but instead directly encode the DTS track to AC3.

Do you have the possibility to upload one of the problematic MKV files? Or a portion of it (you can use Avidemux or MKV Cutter).

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC: I am not to sure what I did or did not do the first time after the suggested changes, but, I ran it through AVStoDVD again and this time had audio, again with a 1.02 second advance.

I ran it through the PowerDirector 8 and synced it up. The PD8 took the file size down and may have limited the audio possibilities but is just fine for me.

I am not sure why an attached log would not come through whole.

Once it seemed to work out I deleted everything [I am approx 100G away from being full and am always deleting.]

I watch these things on a 32" CRT analog. They still look good on the 21" monitor, so I am satisfied and could not possibly gotten to this point without your help, Thank you very much. https://forum.videohelp.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

[I see no 'solved' box to tick]
    Quote Quote  
  17. Good to read you have somehow fixed. Probably the 'FFmpeg Safe Mode' did the trick for your project.

If you need more advises, you know where to look for.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote