VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Thread
  1. hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/myfkag
    (clever bot my ass, replace hxxp with http please

    At first I thought it had something to do with tempgauss itself but it seems the video is the problem. The bottom 25% of the video has the interlaced content of the frame after it so ghosting always occurs. I'm not even sure what the real frame rate is but I guess 23.976.
    What do you guys think? Are these artifacts manageable?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It can be improved quite a bit with:

    Yadif(Mode=1)#or the better QTGMC
    SRestore(Frate=23.976)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah, I forgot all about SRestore, thank you! This is much better.
    Why does this only happen with animation though? Never had these problems with interlaced film.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by -Habanero- View Post
    Why does this only happen with animation though?
    It happens with all kinds.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I believe you but I never saw this happen with film.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by -Habanero- View Post
    I believe you but I never saw this happen with film.
    What? Fieldblending? If I've seen one I've seen a thousand. Would you like to see an example? Srestore was developed for a reason, and not just to unblend anime. It's a much more serious problem for PAL<->NTSC standards conversions than for poor conversions of film to video, but all kinds of cheap companies using obsolete methods put out DVDs with it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sure, show me.

    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Srestore was developed for a reason, and not just to unblend anime.
    I actually don't watch anime at all, this video is just an old poster boy for codec history as it was shared under various formats since CompuServe times. Majority of videos I work with are film.

    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's a much more serious problem for PAL<->NTSC standards conversions than for poor conversions of film to video, but all kinds of cheap companies using obsolete methods put out DVDs with it.
    Ahh this is why. I only once post-processed PAL>NTSC videos which was why I forgot about SRestore, I only had to use it once.
    Are you saying this video was badly converted from PAL>NTSC though? The master was made in Japan (duh) but I have reasons to believe the DVD was processed in North America because everyone in Japan already had and were satisfied with the Laserdisc that never made it outside the country and this DVD has English subs.

    Also, for film DVDs at 29.97 with a real fps of 23.976 I use TDecimate to drop every 5th frame. Should I use SRestore for this instead?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    TDecimate ALONE is inappropriate for IVTCing. Just dropping every 5th frame doesn't take into account the 2:3:2:3 cadence, nor does it take care of the interlacing.

    IVTC using TIVTC (TFM+TDecimate) is probably best for most normal 29.97i->23.976p.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Cornucopia, I already deinterlace with QTGMC which gives me 59.94, so I do selectevery(2,0) and then TDecimate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    OVERKILL, and yet still not quite appropriate for most simple IVTC needs. Plus a burden on your CPU and time consuming. Heck you could even do SeparateFields+SelectEvery+Weave and have the job done in probably 1/4 the time, for most material.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. I do that because I want the best quality, but I rarely work with DVDs. A Blu-ray is usually available.
    How exactly can I do what you said when the 5th duplicate doesn't start in the same place for every scene. Why do you think I need to use TDecimate?
    It's all time consuming/intensive anyway because I have to denoise and use QTGMC. Deinterlacing 20% less frames would help but it doesn't make a big difference. Gotta wait 48 minutes instead of an hour, BIG DIFFERENCE.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Blu-rays?! Oh, brother.

    You must be doing something very wrong: Most BD movies are ALREADY 24p/23.976p to begin with. And RARELY do those need to be denoised.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. I was talking about the DVD. I have not come across a single interlaced Blu-ray as of yet.

    And RARELY do those need to be denoised.
    You are wrong, 35mm film is infested with grain noise especially in low light and it's a lot more visible on higher resolution media like Blu-rays. On DVDs this is hardly noticeable because the resolution is so low, not to mention the MPEG-2 compression crushes it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Grain does not equal noise. The former is (usually) WANTED, the latter not.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Show me an example of this wanted grain.
    And can you explain why my QTGMC+TDecimate workflow is not appropriate for 29.97i > 23.976p?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by -Habanero- View Post
    Show me an example of this wanted grain.
    Example? How about every movie ever put on film.

    While grain was not "added" to film in order to achieve some aesthetic goal, it actually does impart a certain "feel" and look which is often desired. Virtually every "art house" film made during the 1950 to 1980 period owes much of its look to using high-grain B&W stock. The movie "Blow Up" (which is in color) absolutely depended on it, and explored the ramifications of what happens as you zoom in to the point where all you can see is grain.

    BTW, the same thing happens with grainless digital pictures as you zoom in and are only left with blobs of pixels. In each case there is a quantum of information that ultimately limits what can be resolved and which, at times, can be a distraction.

    More to the point, most attempts to remove grain make the film look much worse (to most people) than the original, with all sorts of new artifacts which tend to call attention to themselves. It is similar to what happens when you try to reduce the hiss in an analog recording, and end up with no hiss, but instead with horrible flanging artifacts, and audio that sounds like it was recorded in a large bathroom.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 17th Apr 2015 at 19:15. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by -Habanero- View Post
    Are you saying this video was badly converted from PAL>NTSC though?
    No, it was done using the second thing I mentioned, "poor conversions of film to video". Those are much more rare, but not all that uncommon, especially when working with rare or obscure films put out by lousy home media companies.
    Also, for film DVDs at 29.97 with a real fps of 23.976 I use TDecimate to drop every 5th frame. Should I use SRestore for this instead?
    Cornocupia dealt with that one. An IVTC is usually a 2-stage process - field matching (TFM) followed by dupe frame removal (TDecimate). It's rare that QTGMC/SRestore will do a better job, although I use it sometimes when working with VHS tapes (or DVDs sourced from VHS tapes) because the fields might not line up properly.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Memphis TN, US
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by -Habanero- View Post
    I was talking about the DVD. I have not come across a single interlaced Blu-ray as of yet.
    Then you don't get around much, or all of your BluRays are HD and film speed, or they're Web downloads. https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    Last edited by LMotlow; 18th Apr 2015 at 20:50.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  19. All of my Blu-rays are HD yes and 24fps. I did download some from the web but none were raw.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Memphis TN, US
    Search PM
    Raw?

    Sometimes this forum can be a real hoot.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Raw?

    Sometimes this forum can be a real hoot.
    I can't tell if you were fooling around or really wondering what it meant. I think he means the downloaded ones weren't straight from the Blu-Rays, but had been reencoded.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads