VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I want to Copy Data off my DirecTV DVR.. I would like to make the Best Quality DVD that I can (with in reason)..
    What are my Options?? I was looking at some Blu-Ray Reader/Writers; some were $6,000, some $8,000, some $10,000 or more..
    A little bit out of my Budget.. I am now using a JVC MR-150B .. My DVR has S-Video out but the 150B does Not have S-Video In..
    I would like to get the quality better.. A good DVD or Blu-Ray Writer would be Great.. Not sure if I need any other devices to help
    in the process..

On a 2nd question; I have an LG hl-dt-st dvdram gh22ns40 in my computer that I have had some problems making DVD and/or
    Coping DVDs; should I upgrade the Drive and/or get some special Software??
    Thx. All replies appreciated..
    W.G.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    Hi,
    I want to Copy Data off my DirecTV DVR.. I would like to make the Best Quality DVD that I can (with in reason)..
    What are my Options?? I was looking at some Blu-Ray Reader/Writers; some were $6,000, some $8,000, some $10,000 or more..
    WHAT are you talking about?

3. Member
    Search PM
    I think wg_rebel wants to copy or capture videos from his DirectTV DVR. Apparently he's not aware that those videos are HDCP protected. So even if he had a "BluRay" reader he couldn't record (or read) those videos. According to JVC's spec sheet on his 150-B, the unit has svideo in & out (http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=DR-MV150B#specifications). But that wouldn't matter anyway, as copy protected HD won't be recorded. And s-video doesn't carry an HD signal, only SD, so what he'll get if he gets anything at all will be a small image inside a letterbox that's inside black pillars -- a pretty small 4:3 image, not 16:9 wide screen and probably not even 4:3 full-screen.

What you'll need is an HD capture device that captures directly from the component or HDMI outputs of the DirectTV's DVR. This means playing the entire video into a capture setup. Capture devices like Hauppauge HD PVR's come in composite and HDMI models, and they record to a computer via USB or other connection, not to a DVD-R. He'll then have to process that capture on the PC, resize it to SD for DVD, and re-encode and burn it. Or he can get something like TMPGEnc Smart Renderer to edit the video, although many of these recordings won't be BluRay compliant. Another smart-rendering HD Editor would be VideoReDo v5. If he wants HD downscaled for DVD, he'll likely need Avisynth and a good MPEG2 encoder like HCenc to get decent results, since most cheap NLE's do a horrible job with such conversions.

If he wants BluRay he'll need a BluRay burner instead of the LG drive. If the LG is having "some problems making DVD and/or Coping DVDs", likely it needs replacement. But we don't know what "some problems" means. What kind of problems?
    Last edited by LMotlow; 14th Apr 2015 at 09:05.
    - My sister Ann's brother

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    A little bit out of my Budget.. I am now using a JVC MR-150B .. My DVR has S-Video out but the 150B does Not have S-Video In..
    I would like to get the quality better.. A good DVD or Blu-Ray Writer would be Great.. Not sure if I need any other devices to help
    in the process..

On a 2nd question; I have an LG hl-dt-st dvdram gh22ns40 in my computer that I have had some problems making DVD and/or
    Coping DVDs; should I upgrade the Drive and/or get some special Software??
    Thx. All replies appreciated..
    W.G.
    You can't copy the data. You need to re-record the output from your DVR using a DVD recorder or capture device. The process has to be performed in real time while you play back a recording using the DVR.

You can use a stand alone DVD recorder with a hard drive for DVDs. They are relatively easy to use, but only record in standard definition. Using the one below, you can make DVDs or store recordings on the hard drive if you don't plan to keep them forever. The only way to save recordings permanently is to dub to DVD.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR557H-F7-1TB-Hard-Drive-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital...Tuner/36246088

The other possible solution is a stand-alone HD (high-definition) capture device. This solution would be harder to use than a DVD recorder, but can record in high definition. Since you are recording TV, the capture device should support recording at 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i

One stand-alone HD capture device that appears suitable for your purpose:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100173
    Video review of the EZRecorder 130: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMbbC5yzalc

You need the following as well to record HDMI output from your DVR with the capture device above. This splitter removes HDCP as a side effect.
    http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC

...and you need a fast external hard drive that does not draw power from the EZRecorder device.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01ZC9807

You will need to buy a BD burner and some software for your PC if you want to burn recordings from the EZRecorder to Blu-Ray. Two good burners, below:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129075
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136269
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Apr 2015 at 13:38.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx. for all of the Replies.. I have been using my JVC 150B for years to make copy Data from my DVR; is copy the wrong word.. I have to use composite Output & Input; it will work but would like upgrade the quality of the Video.. My DVR has S-Video Out, but my 150B does Not have S-Video (I have 2 150's and 1 MV-100 and neither have 2-Video Input) LMotlow sent me to a Link that states S-Video In/Out, but it lies.. There is only 1 S-Video connection on the Back and none on the Front.. The S-Video Connector is located in the Out group of connections.. The following Link has a picture of the Back of an MV80.. The picture is exactly what all my JVC Combos look like.. https://www.google.com/search?biw=1091&bih=736&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=dr+mv-150b+p...tm%3B323%3B207 I have an Pana EZ485V that I gave to my Daughter.. I can't make it work correctly; going to take it to the Shop..(could be operator trouble, I am used to the JVCs) So I am back to my question is there a good DVD Recorder with S-Video Input at a reasonable price?? Will I be able to see the difference using S-Video Input?? An upgrade from that would 480p; which I would love to record in, just not sure how.. I have heard of an device called HDFury.. Don't how to connect Computer to DVR to be able to make a Disc on my Computer.. About my Computer's DVD reader/Writer, sometimes it copies a DVD that works, sometimes not.. Another unusual thing is I made an DVD on the JVC 150B an then made copies on my computer.. The original will work in all of my DVD Readers an 2 different Blu-Ray Reader.. But computer made copies will only work in one of the Blu-Ray Readers.. I tried it 4 or 5 times using IMGBurn?????
    Thx. W.G.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read the Specifications wrong on the JVC MV-150B; it states S-Video In/Out -/Yes (DVD/VHS), which to me says No S-Video In.. There is a picture of the Back of an MV-150B also on the same webpage as the MV-80B..
    W.G.
    Last edited by wg_rebel; 15th Apr 2015 at 09:51.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of people can see some improvement in recordings made using S-Video versus those made with composite, but not everybody does.

Forget about making 480p recordings from either a DVD recorder or one of JVCs US-model Blu-Ray recorders. S-Video and composite can't provide a 480p signal to record, only 480i. Since JVC's US-model Blu-Ray recorders can't record from component video or HDMI, only S-Video and composite, plus USB in and Firewire in for cameras, they don't offer you any advantage over a DVD recorder for recording from a satellite DVR.

The HD capture device I mentioned would allow you to record in better quality than a DVD recorder, but it is now clear that learning to use an HD capture device would be too much trouble for you to go to. You had better stick to a DVD recorder.

JVC, Panasonic and all the other familiar Japanese and Korean brands have stopped making DVD recorders for the US. Not enough people wanted to buy them. The only company still making DVD recorders for the US market is Funai. Their products are currently sold under the Funai and Magnavox brand names, and they have to be purchased online. The model I suggested has S-Video in and out. It is their best model.

Funai also makes a VHS-DVD combo with S-Video in and out, but no tuner or hard drive. It can be found at Amazon.com, Walmart.com and some other websites. Amazon itself and Walmart, which have the lowest price for this item, are out of stock right now. The Amazon seller that does have it in stock sells at a higher price than Amazon or Walmart. http://www.amazon.com/Funai-ZV427FX4-Combination-VCR-Recorder/dp/B00CCILYDA/

Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Forget about making 480p recordings from either a DVD recorder or one of JVCs US-model Blu-Ray recorders. S-Video and composite can't provide a 480p signal to record, only 480i.
    95% of the people who visit here do not know, nor care, about 480i or 480p. They just wanna record the damn thing to a DVD to(in their mind).....preserve it. WTF do people bombard newbies with unnecessary techno-jargon? I'll never understand that.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Forget about making 480p recordings from either a DVD recorder or one of JVCs US-model Blu-Ray recorders. S-Video and composite can't provide a 480p signal to record, only 480i.
    95% of the people who visit here do not know, nor care, about 480i or 480p. They just wanna record the damn thing to a DVD to(in their mind).....preserve it. WTF do people bombard newbies with unnecessary techno-jargon? I'll never understand that.
    The OP specifically mentioned recording 480p...
    So I am back to my question is there a good DVD Recorder with S-Video Input at a reasonable price?? Will I be able to see the difference using S-Video Input?? An upgrade from that would 480p; which I would love to record in, just not sure how..

10. Short answer: all cable/satellite boxes somewhat degrade the analog signal output that is compatible with standalone DVD recorders, there is only so much quality you can get from that connection, and it isn't great. It will never look as sharp and clear as the HDTV connection viewed on your TV, or even as good as a commercial Hollywood DVD. The result you are seeing now on your JVC 150 is about as good as it gets: you might obtain a very slight improvement using the S-Video inputs on your Panasonic EZ-485v, but don't expect miracles. Longer answer:

So I am back to my question is there a good DVD Recorder with S-Video Input at a reasonable price??
    No, there isn't. The only two recorders left on the market are the Funai/Magnavox DVD/VHS and DVD/HDD. Neither offers significantly better recording quality over your existing collection of JVC units and Panasonic EZ485v. There is an imported (grey market) Panasonic EH-59 DVD/HDD, which might offer marginally better recordings, but it costs over $300 and it has issues with a too-bright picture when used in North America. The DVD/HDD units are "better" than your current units only insofar as having built-in HDD storage that lets you accumulate many hours of dubs before you burn the DVDs (not necessarily a great idea: it can compound your backlog).

Will I be able to see the difference using S-Video Input??
    Debatable, but probably "no". The "extra quality" of SVHS connections is over-rated when we're talking about dubbing from a cable/satellite box to a DVD recorder: the difference is minimal, in my view certainly not worth spending $200-$400 on yet another DVD recorder when you already own four perfectly good ones. DVD dubs from cable/satellite boxes are a compromise: you can either live with it, or you can't. The only way to significantly improve such recordings is to use a PC-based true HDTV recorder, which you are realistic enough to admit is a bit out of your league in terms of learning curve (some people are cut out for a PC recorder, many aren't).

I have heard of an device called HDFury.. Don't how to connect Computer to DVR to be able to make a Disc on my Computer..
    You don't need an HDfury to record from satellite box to computer: you need an HDMI>PC video input accessory, software to run it, and software to edit/create whatever type of final recording you want (video files, DVDs, or BluRay discs). You would also need some sort of device to break thru the HDMI recording lock on some channels/programs: most people here opt for a splitter box. Of course using such a setup is nowhere near as simple as connecting your satellite box to your JVC 150 and hitting the record button: you can have ease-of-use, or HDTV quality, but not both (when dubbing from a satellite box, anyway).

The HDfury is a top quality adapter dongle that converts the digital HDMI from your satellite box to analog HDTV component connection, for older large-screen displays and other analog devices that can't accept HDMI. Unfortunately no DVD recorders made after 2005 have had component connections, so you would also need a component-to-S-Video adapter. The HDfury can cost around $180, a component>S-Video converter of equal quailty can easily cost as much. After spending all that money, all you will really get out of it is a true widescreen (not black-bordered letterbox) DVD dub from your satellite box. Whether this looks dramatically better than just zooming an ordinary letterboxed DVD depends on the performance of the HDfury+ specific component converter: many of the component>S-Video converters are not very good. And honestly, if you're going to blow close to $400 you may as well outfit your PC as true HDTV recorder and learn to use that instead. The quality would be MUCH better than any standard-def DVD dubs from the HDfury+converter.
    Last edited by orsetto; 15th Apr 2015 at 13:28.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    And honestly, if you're going to blow close to $400 you may as well outfit your PC as true HDTV recorder and learn to use that instead. The quality would be MUCH better than any standard-def DVD dubs from the HDfury+converter.
    I have done HD video capture to a PC, so I know something about the process. The EZRecorder 130 would be easier for a newbie to use than a PC-connected device, and the cost is still reasonable for HD capture device. The EZRecorder is a true stand-alone device. It can't be connected to a PC. However, recordings can be transferred from the external HDD to a PC for editing, or burning to BD-R if desired.

Even so the EZRecorder 130 would be a more hands-on solution than a DVD recorder. There would also be a substantial learning curve, especially if the OP wants to edit recordings or have an authored Blu-Ray disc as the end product.

12. Banned
    Search PM
    I was looking at some Blu-Ray Reader/Writers; some were $6,000, some $8,000, some $10,000 or more..
    A little bit out of my Budget..
    Is that rupees or dollars?

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter: $61.95 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Internal-Blu-ray-Rewriter/dp/B00E7B08MS/ref=sr_1_3?i...blu+ray+writer

By the way, you use DVD and Blu-ray almost interchangeably, the truth is the video quality between them is miles away. If you care about recording quality HD you would obviously avoid DVD completely.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @wg_rebel newpball is our most recent full-time troll. Just ignore him. He shows up in every DVD and SD video thread to harass the OP and those attempting to help with the problem being discussed.

You may not even need a BD drive for the PC fo HD video. It's possible get away with using DVDs for HD video, if the file is small enough and the bitrate is not excessive. I have a number of HDTV captures burned as data on DVD9 and a few on DVD5. My mother's 2012 LG Blu-Ray player can easily play them. (It has a built-in media player.) However, good BD-R media from Verbatim (not LTH) or Panasonic costs less per GB than good DVD+R DL (from Verbatim).

I am also perfectly fine with using DVD recorders. I still have and use one, mostly for recording SD programming, but once in a while I do use it for time-shifting something broadcast OTA in HD when all the HD capture devices are busy.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Apr 2015 at 23:11. Reason: typo

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To respond to newpball.. Hi, it is Dollars.. They are stand alone Commercial Type Writers..
    I wanted to use an Stand Alone, but may go a different route now after reading all of the Replies..
    I saw some that are much less.. It was just for effect..
    Thx. for your Reply..
    W.G..

15. Banned
    Search PM
    To respond to newpball.. Hi, it is Dollars.. They are stand alone Commercial Type Writers..
    I wanted to use an Stand Alone, but may go a different route now after reading all of the Replies..
    I saw some that are much less.. It was just for effect..
    Well I'd say you first should make up your mind if you want a DVD or Blu-ray writer.

Indeed, I am of the opinion that HD video is miles away from SD video, others may disagree and try to downplay the difference.

That's what you find on a forum, differences of opinion about things.

Unfortunately some people seem not to be able to tolerate 'dissent' and resort to ad hominem attacks.

Regrettably and sometimes annoying but, unfortunately, a reality.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    I am 67 years young.. I do have a background in computers, I have been using them since bout 1987.. I am a
    quick study with almost everything, meaning I learn the basics quickly and progress to an intermediate stage but I
    can not seem to get past that.. I use to build computers when DOS was the OS, 3.3 was a good one.. No such thing
    as plug & play; U had to use an Text Editor and enter the Data manually.. I normally say "I know enough to be
    Dangerous".. So much for that..
    Not saying I want to use the HDFury, I think they have an internal one for a computer and an external one also..
    My DVR has Component Out and HDMI Out; I think the HDMI has an encryption or something on it that TV's
    decrypt.. So can I use the Component Out and use my computer and make better quality DVDs or BDs?? Someone
    has probably answered that but I wanted to be more specific in my info and question.. I understand the higher the
    resolution the more data on the Disk.. I has seen 480p and its OK, better than 480i; 720p would be great if feasibly..
    I would spend $400.00 to $500.00 if I could make good quality DVD/BD and then make good quality copies of them,
    assuming its not to difficult.. I have a couple of GURU's that can help me if I need it..
    I really appreciate your Patience and Help!! W.G.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    I am 67 years young.. I do have a background in computers, I have been using them since bout 1987.. I am a
    quick study with almost everything, meaning I learn the basics quickly and progress to an intermediate stage but I
    can not seem to get past that.. I use to build computers when DOS was the OS, 3.3 was a good one.. No such thing
    as plug & play; U had to use an Text Editor and enter the Data manually.. I normally say "I know enough to be
    Dangerous".. So much for that..
    Not saying I want to use the HDFury, I think they have an internal one for a computer and an external one also..
    My DVR has Component Out and HDMI Out; I think the HDMI has an encryption or something on it that TV's
    decrypt.. So can I use the Component Out and use my computer and make better quality DVDs or BDs?? Someone
    has probably answered that but I wanted to be more specific in my info and question.. I understand the higher the
    resolution the more data on the Disk.. I has seen 480p and its OK, better than 480i; 720p would be great if feasibly..
    I would spend $400.00 to $500.00 if I could make good quality DVD/BD and then make good quality copies of them,
    assuming its not to difficult.. I have a couple of GURU's that can help me if I need it..
    I really appreciate your Patience and Help!! W.G.
    With all due respect, when someone consistently fails to call things by their correct name, that makes them seem a little tech-challenged. You insist on calling a DVD recorder a DVD writer when in fact those are two different things.

HDMI will normally provide a better picture than component video. Yes, HDMI output from a satellite DVR has HDCP encryption, but the ViewHD splitter I mentioned in post #4 removes it as a side effect. Not all HDMI splitters do that.

Real HDFury products have been illegal to sell in the US for several years, and nobody sells the real thing anymore. Deliberately making a device that ignores HDCP violates the terms of the HDMI license, and its illegal to sell an unlicensed HDMI device in the US. There is at least one knock-off of the HDFury HDMI to component converter around, but it costs more than the HDMI splitter I recommended. The HDFury model you are asking about only converts an HDMI signal to component video plus audio. You still need a capture device to digitize the component video and audio signals.

Re-read post #4 and look at my suggestion. (I forgot to mention that you also need 3 HDMI cables.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2015 at 12:07.

18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Real HDFury products have been illegal to sell in the US for several years, and nobody sells the real thing anymore. Deliberately making a device that ignores HDCP violates the terms of the HDMI license, and its illegal to sell an unlicensed HDMI device in the US.
    The real HDfury mfr arguably still sells them "quasi-legally" here, sub rosa, by crippling the HDCP decryption feature on units shipped to North America. Reactivating the decryption feature is a tricky PITA procedure, which killed a lot of the HDfury's initial sales momentum with North American buyers. Today its primarily marketed as a Playstation etc game-play recording accessory for gamers with OCD.

19. Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    The only model shown on their website that looks like an internal PC card is an oddball device that turns your PC into an elaborate switching unit, letting you mix and match 4 HDMI source inputs to 4 HDMI displays/outputs. I don't think its targeted as a video input recording accessory. The HDfury mfr seems pretty dedicated to the external dongle concept, which doesn't offer any advantage for recording directly to a PC. You would be better advised to consider the options posted earlier by usually_quiet and LMotlow.

decrypt.. So can I use the Component Out and use my computer and make better quality DVDs or BDs??
    As usually_quiet suggested, HDMI would be the better connection: far fewer wires to worry about, cleaner digital>digital workflow. The encryption issue is easily solved by using the splitter he recommended.

assuming its not to difficult..
    It shouldn't cost that much. The biggest issue is having to adapt to the complexity of PC alternatives instead of using an automated, stand-alone recorder that instantly makes normal DVDs. As discussed above by several of us, to record HDTV on a PC you need an HDMI video input accessory for your PC, capture software to make the recordings, editing software to cut out commercials or split up multiple TV episodes, and conversion software to change the raw capture into whatever final format you want (large high def video files you keep on your PC hard drive, smaller high def files that will fit on a DVD data disc and be playable as high def in a BluRay player, etc). Creating standard "play anywhere" DVDs and/or BluRays further requires a corresponding "authoring" program. (You might also need a new disc burner for your PC, since your LG is making bad copies of your JVC recorder's dvds. Ask a friend to try and copy one of your JVC dvds on their computer burner: if it works OK, you need a new burner, if not, something is up with your JVC 150).

As you can see, there are many more options when recording to a PC, and getting to a standard DVD or BluRay disc as end product is a multi-step process. If you can live without shiny discs, something like the EZ Recorder 130 suggested by usually_quiet might be simpler to use. But there would still be a learning curve: it still isn't quite so simple as your JVC 150.

I have a couple of GURU's that can help me if I need it..
    That might be your best bet as a next step: show them this thread, and ask them to reason out your options with you. It is much easier for some people to pick up new ways of working when they have face-to-face help from friends who are a few steps ahead of them.
    Last edited by orsetto; 16th Apr 2015 at 14:18.

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @wg_rebel If you must have a HD capture device that requires being attached to a PC, I recommend you look at the non-gaming edition Hauppauge HD-PVR 2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=925432&gclid=CJKbsOG5-8QCFVU8gQ...=REG&A=details It will not be as user-friendly as the EZRecorder 130, but has proc amp controls and can capture the original AC3 audio if your satellite DVR can bit stream AC3 over HDMI.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 has a large user base, can capture any resolution that your satellite receiver outputs over HDMI (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p24), and works with several different capture programs.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    Thx. 4 your reply.. I am somewhat familiar with the Hauppauge name, I was entertaining the same idea of making HD Disks bout 2 years ago..
    I am sorry; question, I was looking on Amazon for the HD-PVR 2 and they two, an 1512 model and 1480 model.. Is the 1480 intended more for
    gamers?? Its about $15.00 less.. I would want the one the does the Best job for me..
    I am still unsure how to connect to my Computer, my Video Card does Not have Component or HDMI Inputs..
    I am an Amateur Radio Operator/HAM.. 3 or 4 or 5 of us get together on Saturday at Noon for a Meet & Eat & Shop; we are Hams who talk
    about computers.. They know much more than I do about computers..(No laughing) Computers is their job.. If I get a chance & don't forget I will
    try to ask them about my project..

For orsetto, Thank U and everyone for all your help!!
    W.G. Davis

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    Thx. 4 your reply.. I am somewhat familiar with the Hauppauge name, I was entertaining the same idea of making HD Disks bout 2 years ago..
    I am sorry; question, I was looking on Amazon for the HD-PVR 2 and they two, an 1512 model and 1480 model.. Is the 1480 intended more for
    gamers?? Its about $15.00 less.. I would want the one the does the Best job for me..
    The 1512 is the one you want. The HDPVR-2 Gaming Edition model 1480 is an older version that won't let you capture multi-channel AC3 audio output from your satellite box. It encodes all audio input as 2 channel AAC. It also lacks an connection for an optical audio cable, should you decide that you want to use one for capturing audio.

I am still unsure how to connect to my Computer, my Video Card does Not have Component or HDMI Inputs..
    You don't connect the HD-PVR 2 to the PC with anything but the USB 2.0 port! The HD-PVR's "HDMI In" connection is used to connect the source you want to record and the "HDMI Out" is a video and audio pass-through for connecting a TV, so you can watch the TV show you are recording or play the video game you are recording.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Apr 2015 at 10:29.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Usually_Quiet,
    Which Model of the ViewHD Splitter do I need?? There R several Models to choose from; and prices range from $18.95 to over $300.00..
    Rakuten.com has one on Special for $18.95, I don't know about the Shipping.. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/viewhd-2-port-1x2-powered-hdmi-mini-splitter-for-1080p-and...=42-51711481-2 .. Trust me I don't mind paying a little higher price for a Model that will benefit me, but Not $300.00.. All kinds of Models on Amazon.com..

Thx. 73, W.G.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Usually_Quiet,
    Which Model of the ViewHD Splitter do I need?? There R several Models to choose from; and prices range from $18.95 to over $300.00..
    Rakuten.com has one on Special for $18.95, I don't know about the Shipping.. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/viewhd-2-port-1x2-powered-hdmi-mini-splitter-for-1080p-and...=42-51711481-2 .. Trust me I don't mind paying a little higher price for a Model that will benefit me, but Not $300.00.. All kinds of Models on Amazon.com..

Thx. 73, W.G.
    The Rakuten link in your post above is for the splitter I recommended, the ViewHD model VHD-1X2MN3D.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    What do U know about this Splitter: Portta V 1.4 HDMI Splitter 1X2 splitter with full 3D 4KX2K (340 Mhz)

http://www.port-ta.com/

Thx. W.G.

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    What do U know about this Splitter: Portta V 1.4 HDMI Splitter 1X2 splitter with full 3D 4KX2K (340 Mhz)

http://www.port-ta.com/

Thx. W.G.
    Just get the ViewHD model that was suggested to you. It isn't expensive and it works.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Thx. I ordered it yesterday..
    W.G.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet & all,
    Got all of the devices in, took them to one of my Guru's.. Hooked and plugged them up to one of his computers..
    He got it to work but the Video was not to good; jumpy was one of the problems.. Man was I under the wrong impression;
    I thought the PVR 2 was an Storage Device; i.e. had an harddrive or something in it.. He had to save the captured video
    on his computer.. Am I missing something?? Haven't tried it on my computer yet.. Suggestions..
    Thx.. W.G.

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet & all,
    Got all of the devices in, took them to one of my Guru's.. Hooked and plugged them up to one of his computers..
    He got it to work but the Video was not to good; jumpy was one of the problems.. Man was I under the wrong impression;
    I thought the PVR 2 was an Storage Device; i.e. had an harddrive or something in it.. He had to save the captured video
    on his computer.. Am I missing something?? Haven't tried it on my computer yet.. Suggestions..
    Thx.. W.G.
    No you are not missing something.

Recall that I initially recommended the EZRecorder 130 as a stand-alone device that would be attached to its own external hard drive for storage, but for some strange reason you were not interested. Instead you decided on a capture device that required a PC, the HD-PVR 2. The lack of storage in the HD-PVR 2 is certainly one of the reasons that it requires being attached to a PC.

I also warned you that the HD-PVR 2 was less user-friendly than the EZRecorder 130, but you wanted it anyway. Now you'll have to struggle to make it work.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @wg_rebel Assuming you want to keep the HD-PVR 2, there are people in this forum who can assist you in setting it up. Correcting a problem that happens when the device is installed on someone else's PC may not help you. The device may not have the same problem once it is installed on your PC. However getting the HD-PVR 2 to work properly is still likely to require some time and effort on your part.