VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone
    I want to make my srt subtitles look like this:

I have converted them .sub/idx or sup but still not like that.
    I have tried editing idx file's topmost settings but they also not work.
    help me
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you convert with?

It's very difficult to get sharp/good looking sub/idx image subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. the subtitles in the image were in the torrent I downloaded.They were idx and sub.
    I know how to convert srt to idx/sub but still the srt converted to idx/sub not look like subtitles in the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  4. this is very useful technique if I am successful other wise I have to look for idx/sup subtitles for every movie !!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    BUT what do you convert with?

Maybe converted from blu-ray sup subtitles to sub/idx with bdsup2sub.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I first converted it to .sup with tsmuxer 2.6.12 and then I convert .sup to idx/sub with bdsup2sub.
    Last edited by qaisark787; 13th Apr 2015 at 03:11.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Whatever program is doing the video rendering is responsible for the look of SRT subtitles. Just change the font in that software, if you can.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You don't mention the resolution of those idx/sub. While it's hard to get good looking idx/sub at SD they may look fairly good at HD. (And your's indicate 1280x544)
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just want to know in which software the company make subtitles like the company which made bluray of hobbit in which software they have made subtitles???
    Quote Quote  
  10. First I was searching "How to synchronise .idx/sub subtitles"
    I found Edit idx file in notepad "Write:
    delay hh:mm: second:millisecond
    before the "timestamp" .I tried I was successful .
    From there I got idea that we can change idx/sub settings too.
    so now if we could change idx file settings so they look the subtitles shown in the picture or if there is software which convert srt to idx/sub beautiful subtitles it will be Good ...
    I was thing people here , will have experience in idx/sub editing techniques .... but now I think I was worng
    So friends do experiments on idx files I think solutions lies here
    Keep trying "Giving idx subtitles look like sup/PGS subtitles"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by qaisark787 View Post
    I was thing people here , will have experience in idx/sub editing techniques .... but now I think I was worng
    So friends do experiments on idx files I think solutions lies here
    Nope, you're wrong. IDX/SUB files are graphics-based and can't be edited for such things as fonts. You have to begin with text-based subs, preferably ones for which you can choose the styles (ASS and SSA), or a subtitle-making program that allows you to define the styles you want. I use SSA subs in DVDMaestro to make DVD subtitles, but there are other ways to do it. I have no idea what the fellow used for The Hobbit movie, but it shouldn't be that hard to make similar-looking subs.

He may have used a Helvetica font, but others know better than I, and it's a commercial font and I don't have it installed. I made a quick SSA using Verdana which might do for you:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	393
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	31214  

Last edited by manono; 13th Apr 2015 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
  12. No,,,,
    these look like simple srt Subtitles
    I want these fonts:"We'll be hunted down before we ever get to the forest"

I think these fonts are "arial" and are stretched on both left and right hand side...???
    Quote Quote  
  13. Which fonts are used in bluray subtitles like in the pictures I have shared ???
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by qaisark787 View Post
    these look like simple srt Subtitles
    Hardly, but okay, if you don't like them, that's fine. But...
    ...and are stretched on both left and right hand side...???
    Which is why I don't like them. The round letters aren't round. But to each his own. You could always buy the Blu-Ray if you want subtitles like Blu-Ray subtitles.

Name:	test2.png
Views:	326
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	31215  

Quote Quote  
  15. yeh they are looking similar !!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. How u have done that???
    Quote Quote  
  17. You could always buy the Blu-Ray if you want subtitles like Blu-Ray subtitles.
    Wow what an answer bro !!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by qaisark787 View Post
    How u have done that???
    I cheated. I 'squeezed' the picture first, added the subs, and then 'unsqueezed' the picture. Maybe someone that knows more about subtitle fonts than I will see the thread and suggest one. Me, I like Tahoma and haven't ever felt the need to look around. In addition, I expect studio subtitles are proprietary and won't be easily found, although you might be able to find something similar.
    Wow what an answer bro !!!
    I know, silly me. Why buy something when it can be downloaded for nothing?

I suspect the subs have been 'stretched' at some point and they don't look like that in the real Blu-Ray. Just a guess.
    I first converted it to .sup with tsmuxer 2.6.12 and then I convert .sup to idx/sub with bdsup2sub.
    If somewhere in that 2-step process you can set an aspect ratio, you might try that. It looks to me like 1:1 subtitles may have been stretched to 16:9. I believe you can also set an aspect ratio in the IDX. Open it in Notepad and look around the top part. There's no guarantee, though, your player will respect it.
    Last edited by manono; 13th Apr 2015 at 22:11.
    Quote Quote  
  19. okay this is idx file....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	idx top settings.png
Views:	950
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	31217
    Now tell me where to do aspect ratio changings...???
    Quote Quote  
  20. I only have DVDs to play with. I extracted the VobSubs and experimented. Since you have different subs the numbers won't be the same but once you have a good setting, it should work for all. You have to both widen the subs (Image Scaling) and recenter them (Origin, relative...).

Here's how I changed mine, although yours will be different, followed by a before and after of the subs:

# Original frame size
    size: 720x480

# Origin, relative to the upper-left corner, can be overloaded by aligment
    org: -180, 0

# Image scaling (hor,ver), origin is at the upper-left corner or at the alignment coord (x, y)
    scale: 150%, 100%

# Alpha blending
    alpha: 100%

Name:	BeforeAndAfter.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	31218  

Quote Quote  
  21. Scale.

But editing the idx is not an universal solution. While some players (VLC) will use it while rendering then in other, eg DVD authoring it's not used.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Bro at a moment.i am working with easySUP
    Click image for larger version

Name:	saw.png
Views:	325
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	31219
    its working Good
    Have u any idea : "How To Hardmux .sup with mp4 and mkv"???
    Quote Quote  
  23. How To Hardmux .sup with mp4 and mkv
    If you mean hardcode: Mux the sup and video with MKVMergeGUI. Use Vidcoder / Handbreak.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have done that
    but still vlc and mhc not playing subtitles like sup they play like simple .srt ???
    Quote Quote  
  25. ike sup they play like simple .srt ???
    Yes?

You use Calibri as font in easySUP which is very similar to the default font in VLC, Ariel, so they look similar?

If you want "squeeze-stretch" as manono above you should probably use an avisynth script. Something like

Code:
    # Just to show you'll need VSFilter
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\vsfilter.dll") 
    # Load video
    DirectShowSource("C:\Video.mp4") 
    # squeze it
    Spline16Resize(864,720)  
    # Hardcode subs
    TextSub("C:\Video.srt") 
    # Stretch video
    Spline16Resize(1280,720)
    Avisynth has the SupTitle.dll plugin for use with sup.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Now , I think I should not have tasted/tested pgs subtitles I should stick with srt subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  27. Or perhaps better yet: ASS

Besides you choose the font for a player to use instead of relying on the players default for SRT it has a ScaleX, ScaleY if you need that.
    Quote Quote  
  28. if I harcode .srt subs with mp4/mkv
    will it work on smartphones like Samsung galaxy phones / apple???
    have u any experience???
    Quote Quote  
  29. When you hardcode subs they become part of the picture. So, of course, the subs will appear on any device that can play the video.
    Quote Quote