VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several home movies that I shot with my camcorder and I have all the footage on tapes. How do I go about transferring all this to DVD? I have Pinnacle but I dont know what to do next
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you already searched for and read the many many threads on this subject?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where and how do i find the threads
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could do a search using the search engine here. There's a 'Search' link near the top of this page.

Or, even easier, right below this thread are a bunch of links under the 'Similar Threads" header.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by shashgo View Post
    I have several home movies that I shot with my camcorder and I have all the footage on tapes. How do I go about transferring all this to DVD? I have Pinnacle but I dont know what to do next
    There are very few one-stop guides that cover everything. But a couple of websites have capture and transfer sections with several guides batched together. All of these guides refer to hardware that's getting a bit hard to find these days, but people somehow manage to get it together with a little effort. One such collection is at Doom9, but that site gets pretty techy for beginners. The Digitalfaq guides have been around for a long time and are usually better for newcomers. Try some of their articles on what "DVD" is, how to capture, encode, and author to DVD, etc. A whole list of their guides is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm

I think you'll find that it's not a one-button, one-application process. At this point in the game the right hardware is tough to find -- mostly affordable, but not exactly cheap. You'd probably want to consider a pro transfer service, many of which are not as expensive as you'd think (digitalfaq has one such service), and most of which are big ripoffs if you don't know what to look for.

If you're looking for good quality archival results, most members here wouldn't recommend Pinnacle. But that's up to you. Take a look at some of the guides first, then decide.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    shashgo,
    I'm new at this too. I'll tell you what I know and you can base your researches on it. First you need a piece of hardware to capture video and audio (Canopus advc110 or advc 300, there is also a hauppauge usb live capture dongle. Then you need what's called a TBC (time base corrector) for doing analog tapes such as vhs. Here is a couple links for you to look at, hopefully this can clear up some of your questions and get you started on your search.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVNid389Tg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jackal_05 View Post
    Then you need what's called a TBC (time base corrector) for doing analog tapes such as vhs.
    No you don't.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    true, you don't need a tbc to capture home-made VHS. A capture setup will work without one. The type of tbc you really should have would be a line-level tbc, but you can capture without it. A frame-level type is optional (required if your tapes are copy protected). If you have poor tracking and old or aging tapes, you'll soon see why you should have at least a line tbc. There are several threads in this forum that discuss the issues and at digitalfaq as well.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    No you don't.
    Maybe you don't need one to actually capture, but that second link Jackal_05 provided gives a vivid demonstration of why a line TBC might be useful so you can capture better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to be clear, are you talking about a VHS or Digital 8 camcorder? (Digital video via Firewire is comparatively simple.)
    Does the original camcorder still work?

Also, you might want to reconsider putting your transfers onto DVD; you may need to transfer it all again in a few years.
    Depending on the number of tapes, a $60 terabyte HD or just a couple 16 Gb flash drives may be a more practical archival solution.
    You might call the Engineering Depts at your local TV stations; those guys usually own a lot of obsolete videogear, or at least will know who in your area might do the work for you. It takes some skill and experience to do it right; it is best to have somebody else to yell at if it isn't up to snuff. hth!

Here are some threads that came up automatically on this page:

VHS to DVD Transfer of multiple home made movies
    By wfo1955 in forum Newbie / General discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 5th Sep 2013, 23:21
    My Solution: Watching Home Movies from Camcorder on TV
    By Delmaro313 in forum Camcorders (DV/HDV/AVCHD)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th Aug 2013, 16:02
    I need to transfer my miniDV and old hi8 tapes tapes to dvd
    By bryanport in forum DVD & Blu-ray Recorders
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd Dec 2012, 01:53
    AVCHD Disc (DVD) from Camcorder Home Movies
    By Xesdeeni in forum Authoring (Blu-ray)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd Jun 2011, 16:05
    Trying to transfer camcorder tapes to computer via easycap *RAAAHH!*
    By BostonJas in forum Video Streaming
    Quote Quote