VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm about to digitize a few SuperVHS tapes using an ATI TV Wonder HD600 PCI card. I'll be doing it on a Windows PC, probably with the help of VirtualDub(Mod?) and a variety of image filters to try and get the best picture out of the old tapes that I possibly can.

I will eventually want to get the footage to a Mac for editing in Final Cut Pro X, with ProRes 422 as the target codec. I want the captured footage to be in a lossless format until the very last step of bringing it into FCPX as ProRes.

I see two main options here; feel free to add more or correct me if I'm wrong.

Option 1: Capture as a PNG image sequence + separate soundtrack. Import the images into FCPX manually with a duration of one frame, or by creating a reference movie of the sequence in QuickTime Player 7 and bringing that in, assuming I can find a copy of QT7 on an old Mac somewhere (Apparently Motion, which I don't yet own, is able to handle image sequences better than FCPX, but I have no idea how, yet.)

Option 2: Capture as Lagarith or HuffYUV (using which container format, though?), somehow transcode to ProRes MOV (perhaps through an intermediate lossless step). How would one do this?

I can probably get my hands on and work with any tools on either the Windows or the Mac side as needed, free or paid, GUI or CLI, with some pointers along the way.

Note: if there's a reasonable process for it, I can also consider using Linux for the initial capture if it's somehow more convenient, though I'm unfamiliar with the software landscape on that side. VirtualDub I'd probably miss, though.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) Image sequence would be converted to RGB - you probably don't want to do that because you can clip levels with YUV => RGB conversion, and there is additional loss from the colorspace conversion that you can avoid

2) Probably better option is to batch convert to Prores with ffmbc / ffmpeg . You can do this with a simple batch script, or there are GUI's as well e.g. ffqueue, tencoder, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    1) Image sequence would be converted to RGB - you probably don't want to do that because you can clip levels with YUV => RGB conversion, and there is additional loss from the colorspace conversion that you can avoid
    Ouch. Good call, I wouldn't have realized that.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    2) Probably better option is to batch convert to Prores with ffmbc / ffmpeg . You can do this with a simple batch script, or there are GUI's as well e.g. ffqueue, tencoder, etc...
    Excellent! I'll give those a shot. Thank you.
    Quote Quote