VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I have a few quick questions on Sony Vegas Pro. Firstly, how do I make a video proxy if my file is huuuge? I get an error when trying to make a proxy of a file over a few hundred MB’s. I tried making the part of the video I wanted to use a sub-clip, but “Create Video Proxy” is not available on sub-clips for some reason. Does anyone know why that is?

I am having trouble with all of my pans of late appearing choppy in post. This is filming at 1080P 30FPS on my GoPro Hero 4 Black. I would film 60FPS but I have two concerns. Firstly, I do not see a 60FPS render template on Sony Vegas Pro 12. How then do I export a 60FPS for YouTube? Would great appreciate maybe a screenshot of a template I can replicate. Also, can 60FPS play on modern TV’s? If so, what would be the best render for 60FPS on a TV?

My second concern is that I have watched 60FPS on YouTube and my computer (16GB RAM) has struggled with playback. Does 60FPS require more processing power/bandwith to play? If I film in 60FPS but drop it into a 30FPS project will that still help?

Thanks a lot!
    Jamie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jcarst85 View Post
    If I film in 60FPS but drop it into a 30FPS project will that still help?
    You will decimate your video by 50% and get that "nasty stuttering" so many people are complaining of.

What is the problem uploading it with 60p?
    It is future proof and YouTube gracefully degrades to lower resolutions and frame rates fr those with legacy hardware/software or limited bandwidth.
    Last edited by newpball; 7th Apr 2015 at 11:08.
    Quote Quote  
  3. While exporting you can type your frame rate in there, whatever value. If you happen to export with settings that specs do not allow, like for example profile mainand trying to type 59.94., for Sony avc , you need to change video format to avc (if there is memory stick) and then resolution to a HD resolution, then choice "High" would appear in profile and then typing 59.940 would work. It might not let you set values that are not by specs.

60p on Youtube and web, ...., well, it is a transforming era, so there is going to be problem with those for a while, certain browsers, or computers. You make executive decision, upload 60p or 30p, but 30p would not be optimal, because you loose information for movement in your video. 60p seems to be future-proof. Exporting 30p, and here I am not 100% sure, Vegas might blend frames (with resampling enabled) so you can see some tiny "ghosting" on screen or it does not do that (resampling disabled), but you get stutter on screen, throwing some movement information out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I forgot those proxies, you can make them outside of vegas in a batch, Baldrick wrote something here. make sure those clips have same names, but location in different folder/directory. Edit those proxy videos, when you are done, exit Vegas, rename that proxy folder, load Vegas again, it would ask for locations of those clips, you can direct it to that original folder/directory. Clips would be replaced.

Vegas has also replace function for clips.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys.

You make executive decision, upload 60p or 30p, but 30p would not be optimal, because you loose information for movement in your video. 60p seems to be future-proof. Exporting 30p, and here I am not 100% sure, Vegas might blend frames (with resampling enabled) so you can see some tiny "ghosting" on screen or it does not do that (resampling disabled), but you get stutter on screen, throwing some movement information out.
    Al, is this the case even when I film in 30FPS?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you record 30p, you export 30p, not sure what you mean.
    GoPro 30p mode is perhaps not smooth already, 30p is not enough to record live action smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Al.
    Quote Quote