VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a multilanguage dvd which includes hungarian language audio.
    There are also subtitles - these are closed captioned.
    I have used handbrake to convert to mp4 with hungarian audio, and would like to have the hungarian subtitles showing permanently (burned in)
    However handbrake; although it will provide the dvd with hungarian audio will not produce for me an mp4 file that shows the closed captions . I did select the "close captions" option - hungarian - in the subtitles tab, and ticked "burned in" box, but when I viewed the resultant mp4 file, no subtiles were showing.
    Please can anyone advise.
    Yours with thanks
    Ian
    ian c
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you get any switchable subtitles? Check with vlc media player under subtitle.

You could also try vidcoder.

Or extract the closed captions with ccextractor as srt subs and add the srt in vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kasfig View Post
    I have a multilanguage dvd which includes hungarian language audio.
    There are also subtitles - these are closed captioned.
    I have used handbrake to convert to mp4 with hungarian audio, and would like to have the hungarian subtitles showing permanently (burned in)
    However handbrake; although it will provide the dvd with hungarian audio will not produce for me an mp4 file that shows the closed captions . I did select the "close captions" option - hungarian - in the subtitles tab, and ticked "burned in" box, but when I viewed the resultant mp4 file, no subtiles were showing.
    Please can anyone advise.
    Yours with thanks
    Ian
    Handbrake can only use SRT subtitles and N. American closed captions, as far as I know. Handbrake's closed captions option works with N. American closed captions, which are stored in the GOP user data for the DVDs MPEG-2 video.

DVDs made for other parts of the world use something else instead of this kind of closed captioning, selectable subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing. These are in DVD subpicture (SUP) format. If that is what your DVD has, you have more work to do.

SRT subtitles are sometimes available from various websites. The other option is to use Subtitle Edit's optical character recognition on the DVD subtitles with a Hungarian Tesseract OCR Dictionary. https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/downloads/detail?name=hun.traineddata.gz Unpack it to the "Tesseract\tessdata" sub-folder. I have never tried this option. I only know it exists.
    Quote Quote  
  4. And you'll need a Hungarian dictionary for Subtitle Edit as well (Spell check -> get dictionary)

And BTW Subtitle Edit now has the option of downloading the tesseract file from the OCR window. Also note that the placement depents on wehther you use a portable version or not.
    Last edited by videobruger; 4th Apr 2015 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote