VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to encode some old XviD encodes with x264, but I noticed some artifacts like dot crawl, ringing, grain and ghosting (probably because of the deinterlacer I used back then). This looks like it clean up most of it:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("clip.mkv")
    Cnr2()
    MCTemporalDenoise(settings="medium", AA=true, edgeclean=true, useTTmpSm=true)
    TemporalDegrain(HQ=2)
    AwarpSharp2(depth=5)
    Toon(strength=0.8)
    LSFMod(defaults="slow", strength=140)
    Code:
    x264.exe --profile high --level 3.1 --preset veryslow --crf 17 --tune animation --output clipoutput.mkv cliptest.avs
    I'm not sure if they're in the right order and it seems that some chroma noise is still left or somehow uncovered because of the degraining. Also, I can't get rid of the ghosting. It looks like it's still interlaced but a bit faded away. Am I doing something wrong with this script/what should be added to get rid of the ghosting?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to post a sample of the source that's not reencoded. Include shots which show the problems and a longish medium speed panning shot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. chroma.mkv
    After using my script (or any other strong degrainer/denoiser I've used), the background color gray somehow flickers (the red boxed area). This isn't very noticable on my computer, but it is very on any other device (lcd tv, crt tv, laptop, tablet, phone). Looks like Cnr2 reduces the flickering a bit, but not ideal.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	chroma.png
Views:	239
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	30974

lines.mkv
    In this frame, there are some lines in the middle of the screen (see the red box). QTGMC didn't get rid of it.

Name:	lines.png
Views:	230
Size:	613.9 KB
ID:	30975

morelines.mkv
    When speaking, this sometimes happens. Again, QTGMC didn't get rid of it.

Name:	morelines.png
Views:	226
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	30977

movement+chroma.mkv
    These artifacts occur during movement.

Name:	movement+chroma1.png
Views:	260
Size:	554.8 KB
ID:	30978

Name:	movement+chroma2.png
Views:	214
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	30979

And the background flickers again, like with chroma.mkv. It looks again like Cnr2 reduces the flickering.

Name:	movement+chroma3.png
Views:	216
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	30980

And the entire video has some what looks to be unsharp edges if the edge isn't black and grain.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unfortunately the video was resized and compressed with those comb artifacts so they will be hard to remove completely. You'd be better of going back to the original source. But if this is all you have a sequence like this reduces them quite a bit:

Code:
    BicubicResize(720,480) # back to the original frame height
    TFM(order=0, mode=5, slow=2, cthresh=9, blockx=8, blocky=8) # TFM again with more sensitive settings
    vInverse() # reduce combing in remaining ghosts
    BicubicResize(720,544) # back to the starting frame size
    You might also try using a mask to overlay the fixed video in areas where comb artifacts appear. That would protect the rest of the image from resizing artifacts.

Those TFM() settings should also work better if you go back to the original source.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Apr 2015 at 16:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, looks like it worked!
    Quote Quote