VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need something simple. You know, K-I-S-S.

Pictures really are worth a thousand words. Almost every video available for download
    has a panel or array of images (jpg, png, etc.) showing key moments from the video.

If you're lucky, the panel will be hosted on one of those huge picture websites. A
    simple "save as" and you've got the image array. If not, you can try a screen capture
    which is not always successful.

For years I've used PrintScreen to capture monitor images. For awhile I also tried
    the more advanced SnagIt. Newer versions of SnagIt may work perfectly, but when
    I tried this app it was a disaster.

Many times it's impossble to capture the entire image panel. Apps like PrintScreen
    will scroll and capture an entire page, which is not very useful if all you need is an
    array of images like the attached jpeg.

If I can't capture the entire panel, I'll split the image into a few screenshots. I need
    a way to reconnect these screenshots to form a single panel again.

I freely admit that taking pictures or creating videos has never been a priority for
    me. I know it's hard to believe when everyone has a smartphone these days.

I need an app with a silly name like "create a panel from your images." Please
    guys, no complex editing software.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  2. MPC, MPC-HC or MPC-BE
    File>Save Thumbnails.

If you have specific screenshots you want to use you could try Picasa (!) and employ the Mosaic function.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 30th Mar 2015 at 19:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Code:
    @set /p pix=Enter pixel width (e.g 320): 
    @echo pixel width is: %pix%

@set /p tile=Enter tile size_structure (e.g 5x4 ; 2x2 ; 8x8 etc): 
    @echo Tile size is: %tile%

@set /p sens=Enter Scene Detection Sensitivity (0..1 e.g 0.25): 
    @echo Scene Detection Sensitivity is: %sens%

@echo starting...

@ffmpeg -threads %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%*1.5 -i %1 -vf "scale=%pix%:-1:out_range=full:sws_flags=spline:sws_dither=a_dither,select='gt(scene\,%sens%)',tile=%tile%" -vsync 0 %1_preview_%%03d.png
    Feel free to modify ( mean this one is for scene detection, will very low i.e. close to 0.0001 all frames will be considered as new).
    Last edited by pandy; 31st Mar 2015 at 06:43. Reason: 'tile' structure can be defined
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    If you have specific screenshots you want to use you could try Picasa (!) and employ the Mosaic function.
    That's an excellent idea!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys!

I've been in business with same people for many years. They think I know a lot about computers,
    which is usually true. The problem is, I always feel some embarassment if I have to ask one of my
    partners for "newbie" style help. They're constantly taking pictures and videos, so they know
    a lot about the editing process. I don't!

Here is a simple quote from a customer review at CNET. In one sentence this person explains
    exactly what I was looking for:

"What I wanted was a program that intelligently collects some photos in tiled or mosaic
    arrangement and saves them to one single jpg image."

Instead of saying panel or array the correct terminology is a photo tile or mosaic. Another
    review recommended Picasa.

That's why I posted at this forum. Searching for an app when you don't know the correct
    terminology can be difficult, if not impossible.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by box-turtle View Post
    Searching for an app when you don't know the correct
    terminology can be difficult, if not impossible.
    ffmpeg is your app https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#select_002c-aselect
    Quote Quote