VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Bobbing doesn't introduce any artifacts, but it shifts up and down one line. Is there a way to tell it to shift one frame up one line to remove the slight up and down motion? A black line should result on the top or bottom of every other frame. Then all I would need to do is crop it. Is there any type of software that has this functionality? I would prefer to use Handbrake, but I don't see that option. Yadif 2x introduces artifacts so I don't want to use that.
    Quote Quote  
  2. All deinterlacers will result in artifacts, some more than others. The category of "smart" deinterlacers will remove the up/down motion from the vertical field offset. I think handbrake only has yadif, and a modified yadif. If you want the "best", overall you should have a look at avisynth and QTGMC, but it will be significantly slower to process. This means dropping handbrake, as handbrake cannot accept avs scripts. (I suppose you could use a lossless intermediate, then use that in handbrake, but it would be an extra step and more HDD space, you might as use something else directly) . You decide whether or not it's worth it for you (pros/cons), do some tests for yourself and have a look at the various comparisons posted.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    Bobbing doesn't introduce any artifacts, but it shifts up and down one line. Is there a way to tell it to shift one frame up one line to remove the slight up and down motion?
    No, you can't simply shift the odd frames up because some edges are bobbing up while other are bobbing down.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're sure it was shot on video and every frame is interlaced, right?

If all you have available is Handbrake and you simply have to bob it and the only choices are the bob bobber and double-rate Yadif, then there's no other choice but Yadif. Only if you ditch Handbrake and switch to using AviSynth will you get some really decent bobbers to use.

Just echoing what pdr said.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Decomb Bob mode in Handbrake is about as good as it can do. Other than that the above suggestions are your best choices.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to look a thread I started some time ago AI provided a script they may be helpful to you.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370304-How-do-convert-a-Digital8-AVI-to-play-on-a-Roku3
    Quote Quote